Winchester Model 1300 20ga. pump... Any experience with??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Bought my wife a very nice, clean Winchester Model 1300 20ga. pump shotgun w/ vent rib and Winchoke. Looks nearly new and seems to work pretty nice.

I've never had a Winchester shotgun before, but I've heard good things about them. Is this a good gun for her? Reliability??

She doesn't like the shoulder stab of my Wingy 870 or Hawk 12ga. and she siad she wouold be reluctant to use it in self defense because of that, so I wanted to get her something she could call "hers" that fits her and has a lighter recoil that she's not afaid of.

What say you folks'??

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I used one growing up and it was a great gun. While the 1300 is not as robust as the 870/Mossy's I've never had any problems with the several I have owned. I find them to be much smoother and with better control placements than the others.

Best,

Joe

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

I've looked it over closer and found that it's currently equipped with an Improved Cylinder choke adapter in it now and it's got a 28" barrel. The rear stock has been shortened by approx. 3/4", which makes the trigger finger reach and overall fit a little bit better for my wife. A good buy for her I think and I told her my Christmas shopping is done for her now! Well....maybe except for some some stocking-stuffer 20 ga. ammo!! :rockwoot::laugh:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

guns5009.jpg

skreuzman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    I have the exact same gun in 20 ga. Got it for Xmas when I was 12 years old and it is still my favorite gun. It is built sturdy and reliable. Ive never once had it jam or misfire and ive put 1000's of rounds through it. Ive also dropped many deer at 100+ yards with that barrel and rifled slugs. I would not sell this gun for $1000...that is how much I like it. If anyone has this for sale in a 12 ga. PM me and lets work out a deal

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have an older one in 12ga. It works great, the only problem I've had is on the bottom of the bolt is a screw for the FP retainer, bought mine used ,and the screw fell out. Turns out the hole was stripped.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have an older one in 12ga. It works great, the only problem I've had is on the bottom of the bolt is a screw for the FP retainer, bought mine used ,and the screw fell out. Turns out the hole was stripped.

I have a 12 ga./3 in., all black synthetic, 18 in barrel, extended mag, Win 1300 Defender model that I bought used for $200. Has a couple of nicks in the receiver coating but other than that it is a great shotgun and was a huge bargain!

kenyo64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Bought my son one back in like 1997 shot around 4000 rds through it and shot 1/2 of the choke tube right out the end of the barrel. Sent in to Winchester customer service and they replaced the barrel and all tubes. Since that shot around 1000 more with no problems. Boy has since out grown itso I keep it when my nieces and nehews want to shoot they can use it. It is the youth model
    ken

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My friend has one for about eight years now and i think he has cleaned it once. It cycles flawlessly, but that is his luck. If i did that my gun would prob backfire and take my face off.

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown
    I've got a 1300 Defender (12ga wood/blue) that I've had for years. I've never had an issue. Probably 1000 rounds through it. Can't speak for the 20ga, but I don't imagine it would be any different.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

My wife and I went shooting with it about a week ago and she really loves it! Since the rear stock is cut down approx. 3/4", it fits her small frame and grip very well, making it comfortable and natural for her to hold. The recoil is mild for her too, so she doesn't flinch when it's fired. Heck, I even went through a box of shells just blasting around full water jugs- it's a lot of fun!

We did pattern the shot at approx. 40 feet or so using Winchester SuperX #6 shot through an Improved Cylinder choke and it'll pattern a circle at that range about the size of a full size pick-up truck steering wheel. (13"-14") I didn't think that was too bad for that distance. ;)

Wifey says she wants to start shooting trap w/ it. :rockwoot:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have... well I sort of have it... a 1300 Defender in 12GA. Not a lot of rounds through it, but never a problem either.

If I saw a 20GA I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. How does it fit her?

Oh... and I'd be looking for a 18.5" cylinder bore barrel for it.

winstonsmith84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Middletown

Barrel change in about 1 min tops! I wish mine was the shorter magazine version sometimes as there are no longer choked barrels made for the 8 round tube, at least none that I've found. It's not the best for shooting skeet.:D

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I have... well I sort of have it... a 1300 Defender in 12GA. Not a lot of rounds through it, but never a problem either.

If I saw a 20GA I'd probably buy it in a heartbeat. How does it fit her?

The gun fits her great and with the shortened rear stock, it naturally puts her trigger finger in the trigger gaurd area for a perfect reach for her frame.

I don't intend on using this gun other than for her, (trap shooting, rabbit hunting, etc.) so we'll probably never get a shortened barrel for it. That's not to say if I ever see one at a gun show for cheap..and....well..........:D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Just keep your eyes open. :)

If the stock is shortened, be careful about the placement of your/her thumb on the shooting hand. Wrapped around the grip in a normal way there have been incidents of bloody noses.

Top Bottom