• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Has anyone seriously started using Windows 8 yet and has a good sense of its advantages over Windows 7?

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I used the developer preview. All I can tell you is run like hell away from it.
    I would list all the shortfalls and general issues, but I am at work and don't have 30 mins to type them all out.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I could be wrong (the horror), but I've read Win 8 is really to turn your device into a tablet with touch screen options. I just bought a netbook with Win 7 and a $15 option to upgrade to 8, but I don't believe my $250 rig would support the touch screen options. Besides, as someone stated in another post, I already had Win 95, who cares about Win 8.....

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I could be wrong (the horror), but I've read Win 8 is really to turn your device into a tablet with touch screen options. I just bought a netbook with Win 7 and a $15 option to upgrade to 8, but I don't believe my $250 rig would support the touch screen options. Besides, as someone stated in another post, I already had Win 95, who cares about Win 8.....

Exactly! It was designed for a touchscreen. A lot of little hangups if you're familiar with any other Windows platforms.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I hate it...
    Just picked up a new machine for work, we need pro to log onto the domain. Egghead had a deal running for a cheap upgrade from win 7 home to 8 pro.
    It is the suck. If it was on a tablet it would be great...
    for day to day operations, our bookkeeper is going to struggle with this new machine. We will likely have to 'downgrade' to win 7 pro.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'm a developer and have to make sure that our software will work on 8. As others have said, it is mainly trying to turn 7 into a tablet. If you were running a tablet - GREAT. If not - it sucks.... There are ways to get back to a more 7ish interface. They should make that switch much more easily available. Most folks won't have a choice, since 8 will come on any new machine.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Here's a thought, It don't matter, Things Change, if you hold onto an old system its just going to make the transition in the future harder, Come on guys/gals DOS was a good OS but its gone,

For the few who really want to fight the flow you can go back to Unix or a few others out there but if your going to get a job or go to Best buy and buy a PC your going to have to step up The market Drives the PC/APPLICATION market and sad to say one of the control groups they give a lot of attention to is Teen to early 20's Japanese Females, (really)

Our technology is somewhat out of our hands, We just have to be smart and flexible enough to go with it.

If you hold back to Win7 or win XP or Dos your going to get burnt sooner or later,

I don't always like the change and for years I fought all sorts of PC changes by building my own PC's , Ect. But in the end the River of change swept me away.

I'm not saying be the first one out there so you find all the problems and then get soured on a "thing" just watch the market and when the swell of change hits be ready and ride along,

Were talking technology its not something your going to hand down to your grandkids.

There My 2 cents

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Here's a thought, It don't matter, Things Change, if you hold onto an old system its just going to make the transition in the future harder, Come on guys/gals DOS was a good OS but its gone,

For the few who really want to fight the flow you can go back to Unix or a few others out there but if your going to get a job or go to Best buy and buy a PC your going to have to step up The market Drives the PC/APPLICATION market and sad to say one of the control groups they give a lot of attention to is Teen to early 20's Japanese Females, (really)

Our technology is somewhat out of our hands, We just have to be smart and flexible enough to go with it.

If you hold back to Win7 or win XP or Dos your going to get burnt sooner or later,

I don't always like the change and for years I fought all sorts of PC changes by building my own PC's , Ect. But in the end the River of change swept me away.

I'm not saying be the first one out there so you find all the problems and then get soured on a "thing" just watch the market and when the swell of change hits be ready and ride along,

Were talking technology its not something your going to hand down to your grandkids.

There My 2 cents

:+1:

I've been using Windows 8 for about 4 months now. Once you get used to it, it's quite nice. It's definitely a lot faster than Win 7.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I'll agree that it's faster than Windows 7, but the GUI is hard to get used to. I use Windows at work and Mac at home, I will continue to stay away from Windows as much as I can. I'd be happy with a re-release of a faster XP.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Windows 8 is very lean. If you take the time to learn a few shortcuts and stay away from MetroUI its excellent. I pin most used software to the task bar (I loathe desktop icons) and consider myself a power keyboard user so those are big factors in my decision. It's also possible to run windows 8 on machines where Win7 struggles since they've taken care of a lot of memory management. Metro is nice when doing simple tasks and will get even better as developers start making more full featured widgets/apps to take advantage of the space.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just ordered a new custom built CAD/CAM workstation. I asked if I should consider Windows 8 and the answer was HELL NO!

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    If you get stuck with windows 8 and want to get back to some sort of resemblance of early versions of windows, take a look at classicshell. It'll even let you shut it down:D

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    To tell you how bad windows 8 is...they are already offering a "downgrade" to windows 7. They did the same thing with Vista. Avoid Windows 8 at all cost. It will slow you down and frustrate you

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I hate it on a regular computer that you sit down to everyday and isn't going to be upgraded to the newest and greatest anytime soon in this economy....

If your getting it on a tablet or a computer that has a touch screen it seems to be a bit hard to manuver but it will work...

Otherwise I'd stay with Win 7 until your hardware turns into a tablet that is....

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I am like many of you, a dev who has to work on 8. A few of us upgraded to make sure our product runs fine. Anyway, I don't think it sucks. I honestly cant tell the difference until you go for the start menu. I was worried about the search feature, as I used that often. But you can still hit the window key and start typing to search your computer. I LOVE the new task bars. My right screen task bar has the programs on that screen only, same of the left screen.

Would I pick it over win7, probably not. But its not terrible.

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks for the tips/explanations guys. It looks like I'll be on Windows 8 pretty soon so I wanted to see what others thought of it.

Top Bottom