• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    With winter fast approaching, and temperatures dropping, I thought now would be a good time to list items that we should have in a winter car kit. I'll start, and others can add on.

Hats
    Gloves
    Extra set of clothes
    Snow boots
    Snow shovel
    Blankets
    Matches
    Lighter
    Emergency Candles
    Food (think high calorie but easy to eat, like Clif Bars)
    Water (take precautions so it doesn't freeze)
    Flashlight
    Kitty Litter for traction

Ok, what am I missing?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Tarp or emergency poncho

Knife

Jumper Cables

1/2 pint of vodka in the trunk/cargo area (to help the water not freeze)

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Kitty litter is good for weight and traction, but water softener salt is better and more likely to be used AFTER the winter months. Just my 2 cents based on experience. Oh, and maybe a couple of flares and a cheap emergency hand held 40 channel CB. And a chain.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    A couple of cans of heet.

I am curious what you would use this for

Kitty litter is good for weight and traction, but water softener salt is better and more likely to be used AFTER the winter months. Just my 2 cents based on experience. Oh, and maybe a couple of flares and a cheap emergency hand held 40 channel CB. And a chain.

Someone already said it but if you are gonna use the chain to tow vehicles out don't get a chain get a towstrap if/when it breaks it is way less likely to take your head off or kill you

Tarp or emergency poncho

Knife

Jumper Cables

1/2 pint of vodka in the trunk/cargo area (to help the water not freeze)

I am ignorant on the ability of vodka to keep water from freezing, also I would not give my kids vodka spiked water if it has to be mixed

Also most people neglect the crap out of their cars how about a tune up, fluid change including anti freeze, good tires.

Three other often forgotten winter travel needs leaving early enough to be on time plus a half hour or so to spare, common sense and patience.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If you have cats, both are usable after winter!
    Ahhh yes, but does kitty litter have the ability to MELT ice?
    I am ignorant on the ability of vodka to keep water from freezing, also I would not give my kids vodka spiked water if it has to be mixed
    Adding alcohol to water will lower the freezing point. It doesn't take much. Why would you not give this to your kids? An ounce or two of 80proof vodka mixed with a 2litre bottle of water isn't going to affect them. They get more alcohol than this from smelling your breath after a bottle of wine, or in their cold medicine, or any number of other places.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ahhh yes, but does kitty litter have the ability to MELT ice?

Adding alcohol to water will lower the freezing point. It doesn't take much. Why would you not give this to your kids? An ounce or two of 80proof vodka mixed with a 2litre bottle of water isn't going to affect them. They get more alcohol than this from smelling your breath after a bottle of wine, or in their cold medicine, or any number of other places.

I don't drink wine and they don't take alcohol filled cold medicines, so those theories don't work. We also try to limit our kids use/intake of anything from plastic. I wouldn't give my kids alcohol laced water because I love my kids. I would however keep the bottle near a heat source or next to my body to keep it warm.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Autozone has little aluminum 9 LED flashlights at their counter now, 2 of them for $5, batts included. I have one in every car.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I carry a pretty extensive medical kit, far bigger than the drug store types. A tow strap, a set of jumper cables and a collapsable "avalanche" shovel (better than the military style collapsable shovels!!!). Plus winter gear like hats, mittens, scarves, etc, etc, etc. Plus water, snacks, etc. Basic tool kit, flashlight(s), chemical hand warmers, light sticks, etc.

Given that we have multiple 4x4 vehicles I find that we pull a lot of people out of ditches and have yet to get stuck. Still, I'm prepared if we get stuck.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Matches
    Lighter
    Emergency Candles

Ok, what am I missing?

Given the above, fire extinguisher and updated will!! Seriously, skip the open flame stuff for light/heat. Have light sticks for light. For heat, have some road flares. They are to be used to start fires outside the car if need be. Really you wouldn't likely need a fire. If you are stranded and AAA says it will be hours, get out the foil wool blanket, put on your hat, and the wrap yourself up in one of those large emergency wool blankets, or a sleep bag with a good cold weather rating. That should be plenty to keep you warm and from freezing while waiting for help.

Also keep a cell phone car charger in the car. In fact, if you have older cell phones with good batteries and car charges, keep that entire set in the car (take the batteries off the phones). Charge them up before putting them in to make sure they work. All cell phones have to be able to call 911 even if they are disconnected.

Those little heat pads might be a good investment as well. They now have larger ones you put on the small of your back. Also the heavy duty tow strap in case a truck comes along and can pull you out.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Maglite for durability and another type of flashlight (Surefire/Streamlight)
    Basic First Aid Kit
    Lighter
    Towels/Shop rags

That's about all I have in my Jeep. Really, unless you are driving somewhere very rural, emergency services wouldn't be more than an hour away.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    "Someone already said it but if you are gonna use the chain to tow vehicles out don't get a chain get a towstrap if/when it breaks it is way less likely to take your head off or kill you"

Not to focus on small points, but chains are safer in this regard than straps. First, 3/8 inch chain has a maximum breaking strength of well over 10k pounds, almost eliminating any concern of it breaking. Tow straps stretch, if even a small bit, which if they break causes them to snap back. Chain does not stretch; if it breaks it may fly back a bit but not nearly as much as a strap will. One trick is to put a blanket/jacket/etc. over the chain, so if it does break the blanket will absorb the snap back. On the farm, and in the winter in Minnesota, I have seen several straps break and fly out of control.
    On the other hand, straps are lighter, don't rust and get your hands dirty, and in modern vehicles that don't have attachment points can be easier to hook up.

Top Bottom