• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    INGO Bikers, I need suggestions on winter riding gear. I've always just parked my bike for the winter, because I never considered riding in the snow. But, I've been told it can snow one day here and the next day get up to 45 degrees. Today was 29 degrees when I left for work and the ride was nice; the expected high is 42 degrees. Right now, it looks like I'll have good riding weather for the next couple of weeks, but I want to get some gear for the colder days. What are you using? I'll be going to Daytona in March and would like something electric and waterproof. It could be one system or an undergarment with a nice rain suit. I'm just looking for ideas.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I use snowmobile my snowmobile gear. It keeps me warm going 70mph at zero degrees on a sled, so it's perfect for the bike. It's waterproof and I don't have to worry about any cords.

Klim Gear is super great gear. A Balaclava is a must for under the helmet!

Stay away from any cold weather gear from Harley Davidson. In my experience it's an overpriced Hefty bag.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't ride in the cold.... sportbike tires don't like it.

My friend rides a touring bike and has some of the firstgear heated stuff and loves it. Plugs right into his battery tender lead.

Link

When I ride cold, some high quality cold weather cycling gear (Bellweather) is what I wear under my leathers.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have various gear I use depending. Normal leathers - coats, chaps, gloves & full faced helmet, neck scarf, etc.Wind proof & waterproof riding pants. A rechargeable battery operated heated vest that fits under leather coat. A heated jacket ( will fit under a large leather coat ) & heated gloves... These plug into lead off of MC electrical system and are adjustable for heat level. I vary by temps, ride length, etc.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    My go to m/c gear comes from Aerostich. Pricey but worth every penny. Ive had the two piece for 14 years. LOVE them. Add the electric liner, heated grips and your GTG. Mine is a little big so I can layer up if need be.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used to ride my Goldwing down into the 20s. Bomber jacket with the throat straps to keep the collar up, insulated boots, redhead flannel jeans, helmet, and snowmobile gloves. Then I discovered heated gloves. Well worth the cost.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I use gerbings heated outer wear (runs direct plug off the battery). But, I must say I can no longer recommend gerbings due to the fact they no longer honor their own warranties. I have owned a set of outer wear for 4 years ever had and issue until this year. New plug needed, recieved a phone call from dryer stating I would have to pay for repairs this year. She went on to tell me that verb GS no longer honored any warranties even though their gear is marked with lifetime the. So bears if u find gerbings gear with lifetime tags. You are now just paying more to pay more.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds like Indiana, in 40 degree weather after an hour the only thing numb are my fingers, I'd start with heated gloves. I'm wearing a riding jacket with insulated insert, wind breaker insert, and jacket over theses, riding pants and boots.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Some excellent suggestions above, at varying price ranges.

2 suggestions I didn't see mentioned: Heated grips (if available for your bike, likely they are) and a windshield if your bike doesn't already have one. Having a windshield that offers full protection (ala most full-dressers, as opposed to 'sport' windshields) does a LOT to keep the cold from 'ramming' into your body.

We used to just 'layer up'. Then went to snowmobile gear. Nowadays, however, there's great stuff like heated vests, gloves, and socks (probably the 3 'essentials', IMO) to choose from, in a wide variety of styles and prices ranging from 'real bargain' to 'are you out of your friggin' mind!', LOL.

Nowadays, for me, motorcycling is a 'nice weather' pass time. I prefer the wind in my face and the 'open' feel of riding. Today I pass on the the 'bundled up like Nanook-Of-The-North-but-still-riding' thing, LOL.

I use the winter months to do maintenance. Plus, it gives me something to do to ward off 'cabin fever' in the winter, LOL... :thumbsup:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    The only bad part about Indiana and winter time is ROAD SALT chrome don't like it, so if you ride much her you better wash it off or it will eat your chrome up... Have owned many Harleys with lots of chrome... Just food for thought... But if you ride a rice burner just ride the crap out of it and don't worry about it.... As far as riding gear carhart's and a leather jacket and some insolated leather Harley gloves and a windshield works good maybe a bandanna around your face if need be ??? and always some sort of glasses/eye wear...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I used a heated jacket liner and heated grips when winter riding. You used to be able to get the heated grip kits that wrap around the bar itself and then slide your grips over the top. It's been a while, though, and can't remember who made them.

Another important item is a breath box or breath guard to keep your visor from fogging/icing up. Some helmet manufacturers make them for some of their helmets (Aria and Scorpion off the top if my head). It's hard to get anywhere with a frozen face shield. I eventually started using a Scorpion dirt helmet with their breath box instead of a street helmet and liked it a lot better.

Winter was always my favorite riding season.

image.jpg

Last edited:

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I admit to being a fair weather rider but when I do ride in winter I wear carrhart bibs, hooded sweatshirt, leather jacket and insulated boots. The problem with to much clothing is that I need a crane to lift me on/off the bike. I think I will stick with fair weather riding.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I used a heated jacket liner and heated grips when winter riding. You used to be able to get the heated grip kits that wrap around the bar itself and then slide your grips over the top. It's been a while, though, and can't remember who made them.

Another important item is a breath box or breath guard to keep your visor from fogging/icing up. Some helmet manufacturers make them for some of their helmets (Aria and Scorpion off the top if my head). It's hard to get anywhere with a frozen face shield. I eventually started using a Scorpion dirt helmet with their breath box instead of a street helmet and liked it a lot better.

Winter was always my favorite riding season.

View attachment 34097

A Scorpion combined with Fog-X worked well for me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A 15 minute ride is pretty easy to get by with little gear, 10 hours in the saddle requires good gear to survive.

Many winter miles ridden with Joe Rocket Meteor pants and jacket, with wife in same gear. Not too bulky. They have a zip in liners. A few times in the Pacific North west or Colorado, they were not warm enough so I put my raingear on under them, and all was well. When you are 1000 plus miles from home you have to improvise. Hunting socks under your boots. A balaclava head gear under the helmet is a great thing. They do not take up much room so I always carry 4 balaclava's. Nothing is worse than pulling a cold, wet balaclava over your head when heading back out on the road. The extra protection for the neck is welcome as are Joe rocket gauntlet winter gloves with the elastic string to cinch them up. It is amazing how little of an airleak can make you cold when it is below 40 degress. My wife snapped a picture of ice hanging from the part of my beard that hangs out of the bottom of my full face helmet. I really did not feel the cold.

Fog inside of your visor is a BIG problem. They have some wipe on anti fog stuff. One is like kind of a waxy soap stick it requires some effort to use but works pretty good. I was using a spray on product that seemed to work ok, but my visor started getting cloudy. I don't know if it was from the anti fog or from age. A new visor was over $60 so I just never used the spray again.

One of the nice things with the removeable liner, and unzippable vents, is that you can convert the same clothes to use in warmer weather. Since I would take a couple of weeks on the road, it was impossible to carry all the exact perfect gear for every variable in the weather, especially if you are leaving Dallas and heading to Canada. Convertable gear is pretty handy.

My riding buddy swears by his gerbig electric stuff. You have to make sure your bike has adequate charging capacity to carry the extra load. My bike could only support an electric vest at highway speed, but could not carry two electric jackets so I never used those. I also plugged off the air across my oil cooler and 3/4 of the air across my radiator. It allowed the engine to stay at operating temperature and kept a little more warm air moving my way.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I got a PM from a member who has some gear for sale. If that doesn't work out I will pick up a set of GatorGear and an adjustable temp jacket/pants combo, with gloves and boot inserts.

Top Bottom