• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    I have always cleaned my EDC gun about once a month. Always oil inside , grease outside. I now own a new XDS, different type of coating, just wondering what everyone thinks about grease vs oil on OUTSIDE of handgun?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would not wipe a handgun down with anything that might make it hard to hold onto. And grease will make it hard to hold onto.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    My Glocks get oiled where required when they are cleaned, then wiped down on the outside with a dry microfiber cloth to remove all oils on the outside.

I guess it depends on the gun, finish type, and if it's going to rust up on you

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    If I know I'm going to be storing a gun for a while, I will wipe the metal parts with an oiled cloth, but not grease. I suppose if you were storing in a salt-water bath or something it might help a little. But for day-to-day cleaning I prefer not to have the outside of the gun oily or greasy. Not only does that make it potentially slippery but it makes the gun really messy.

[Who would have figured that "s-a-l-t-w-a-t-e-r" would be flagged as obscene by the auto-mod? Someone needs to get an update!!]

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I spray with Eezox and wipe it off. Provides a pretty non-stick coating that protects from rust the best I have seen yet.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've never heard of greasing the outside of a gun. I wipe mine down with an oily cloth every once and a while. The silicone cloth also works very well.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I like the Hoppes wax treated cloth for exterior cleaning and protection.

0561-0458.jpg

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've always found that having the exterior even a little moist with oil or silicone merely turns my guns into gloppy, lint and dirt covered messes. Lube where it's needed and call it a day.

dcombs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Alexandria
    Thank you all for your replies, ,I was raised with a gun of some sort in my hand and was always taught to wipe them down with gun grease before putting them away....Will definitely take advise on the XDS (few drops of oil where needed and call it a day)

Top Bottom