• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have mentioned that there are wolves in Michigan and wondered how long it would take for them to migrate south following the food chain. Plenty of deer to eat.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    About a week ago some friends of ours little Dachshund was cornered by a small pack of 5 coyotes. This was at 98th & Lakeshore. The little guy got away with just a few scratches before his humans ran them off. Have seen the occasional Deer, Red Fox and single coyote in the area around here and saw a coyote crossing 86th st. at Keystone just a week earlier. But he was a kinda small, about 30 pounds.

That Wolf kill in Randolph County was in '03. Here is a link to Predator Masters Forums that talks about it and some other Midwest sightings at the time: Gray Wolves killed in Indiana & Missouri! Read this! - PredatorMasters Forums

In 2011 there were 164 sightings of Black Bear in Ohio with several around the Cincinnati area. Link to forum post with article copied: More Than 150 Ohio Black Bear Sightings | HUNTING INDIANA

We know now that there are Cougar in Indiana which DNR just admitted to in the last 4 years or so after lying about it for several. And we know better than to believe DNR in things like this where there are numerous sightings by the public. Cougar and Bear are pretty distinctive looking animals to ignore numerous sightings too. And with Black Bear in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky, for years, it would be pretty foolish to assume that they just can't be here.

Not the same for Wolves. Most people will mistake a Coyote or a Coy-dog for a wolf. BUT, given the Randolph county Wolf kill and that fact that the other species are confirmed and/or likely to be here, I think that it would be foolish to assume that there just isn't any way that there are any wolves in Indiana simply through migration. It'd be harder to confirm, but . . . .

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I was BS'ing with some guys at work this morning about this and several had heard of people seeing wolves. Maybe your wife did see one? I know timber wolves are really big, like a lot taller at the shoulder than a big domesticated dog, with a very distinct look, it wouldn't be hard to not recognize one if you've ever seen one in person before.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Alaskan Malamutes look (and are) extremely wolf-like in appearance. I have a half Lab/Malamute and she howls, has an extremely thick coat and LOVES the snow.

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Greenwood
    I saw two real early one morning in Henry County. Coyotes trot around keeping busy but these two did not care and stood still looking right at me. My buddies laughed but it wasn't as funny a little later when one was ran over and killed in the area. It made the paper and seems it had a collar and had come from Michigan. Never know what you might see.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spoke with my buddy about his hunting so far. He said there are some tracks on his land that are not Coyote. To large and different. Not a cat.
    I told him to call CSI and have a cast made up......:)

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    There are definite differences between a wolf and a coyote - if you know what you are looking for. However, a few months back in this area, someone mistakenly shot someone's dog because they thought it was a "wolf". :/

Top Bottom