• ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Three good things about this story....

1. "police found her would-be attacker dead in the back yard of her Gwinnett County home."

2. The woman was not charged with killing Puentes. "She responded to the deadly threat with deadly force," he said.

(Gwinnett police Cpl. Edwin Ritter)

3. Thankfully Puentes was not a "Determined" attacker and was driven away by multiple .22 shots. There are several instances where the attacker manages to kill the victim and then dies from the .22 wounds.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Three good things about this story....

1. "police found her would-be attacker dead in the back yard of her Gwinnett County home."

2. The woman was not charged with killing Puentes. "She responded to the deadly threat with deadly force," he said.

(Gwinnett police Cpl. Edwin Ritter)

3. Thankfully Puentes was not a "Determined" attacker and was driven away by multiple .22 shots. There are several instances where the attacker manages to kill the victim and then dies from the .22 wounds.
    ^This. Just goes to show what Ive said all along,a 22 will kill you just the same as any other gun. Might take a few more but it will do it. + rep for the both of you. To the OP for posting it and to IndySSD for the above post.

To the OP I owe ya one. It said I have to spead it around.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    A .22 will kill you, for sure. But it does lack stopping power in a self defense situation, IMHO.

I tend to agree with that, although it proves "Any gun is better than no gun" I think most criminals would :poop: their pants at the sight of ANY unexpected gun.

In her case she was very lucky and I'm glad the woman was able to defend her life! :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also of note is that she first attempted to fight him off with the shower rod. To me that speaks of a solid fighting mindset. She used what she had in her environment to fight. When her environment changed (she was dragged from the bathroom to the bedroom), she adapted and found a better tool (a .22).

Bravo to her!

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Also of note is that she first attempted to fight him off with the shower rod. To me that speaks of a solid fighting mindset. She used what she had in her environment to fight. When her environment changed (she was dragged from the bathroom to the bedroom), she adapted and found a better tool (a .22).

Bravo to her!

Not to mention, she was naked whilst fighting.... If you ask me that takes more courage than most people have!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I was impressed ......It only took 3 replies before someone started putting down the .22 ......
    Do resereach folks .....the low life .22 caliber has killed more people than any round made ....

A couple weeks ago in Floyd county A break in happened , the home owner shot the guy with his .40 the cops found the thief several hours later at the hospital , he is still alive ...

This lady shoots Bad guy with her .22 they find him dead in her yard ...

Just sayin ..

OF course Im no internet ballistics expert ...I just sell guns for a living .:D

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was impressed ......It only took 3 replies before someone started putting down the .22 ......
    Do resereach folks .....the low life .22 caliber has killed more people than any round made ....

A couple weeks ago in Floyd county A break in happened , the home owner shot the guy with his .40 the cops found the thief several hours later at the hospital , he is still alive ...

Just sayin ..

I've heard that claim many times but have never been able to substantiate it personally. With all the .45, .38, .223, 30-06 etc that have been fired thru the years I've always wondered where this rumor originated? Even discounting wartime deaths by firearm. . . .:dunno:

What the OP and your case both illustrate is shot placement. Any round can be effective if put in the right location, I read a news report last year of a kid killed by a bb gun.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Bravo to her!

This was my observation also. In addition to that it stood out that she was able to get to her gun while being taken into the bedroom. It didn't say she escaped to the bedroom so I'm led to believe it was pretty readily accessible. I don't think I could have gotten to mine in a Gunvault that quickly while the guy was in the room with me. Obviously we don't know the exact situation but since he led her to the room I'm sure he wasn't far from her at any point.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA

Bravo to her!
    :yesway: Exactly.

A .22 will kill you, for sure. But it does lack stopping power in a self defense situation, IMHO.
    Never said it didnt,just said it will kill someone all the same.

Im just glad to hear that she did have the mindset to fight back and not just take it and run the risk in being killed anyway. I comend her as it took guts to fight off an assailant with a shower rod when he had a knife.He got what he deserved.:twocents:

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

Just sayin ..

Can you please educate me by posting the research you've done that shows the number of deaths per caliber dating back to the 1200-1300's when the first "hand held cannons" were invented?

I'd be very interested in a scientific study on this subject. I've not yet been able to locate anything but anecdotal evidence along this line of searching. Perhaps I am just weak in the art of Google-Fu?

Along those lines, I can definitely say I've killed more game with my .22's over the last 28 years (how long I've been hunting) than any of my other rifles/shotguns. That being said, I wouldn't hunt deer with a .22, even if it were legal. I'd take a high powered rifle or Slug gun... why? Because the rounds are more effective by means of destroying more tissue and destroying organs than my .22 can.

Just because I've killed hundreds of squirrels/rabbits with my .22's and only tens of turkey, deer or coyotes with high powered rifles/shotguns doesn't mean that my .22's are just as effective as my higher powered rifles/shotguns.:twocents:

But I'm not an internet ballistics expert, just some country bred fella hiding in the city who likes venison. But I'll bet there's one thing we can both agree on since neither of us are ballistics experts...... The most effective firearm for self defense is the one that's always with you...;)

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Not to mention, she was naked whilst fighting.... If you ask me that takes more courage than most people have!
    If someone saw me naked coming out of the shower they would die from:laugh: before I shot them w/ the .22 I cc in my :banana:hammock when going from the shower to the bedroom just because ya never know, ;) :D

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Wow. Good for her and her fighting spirit.

Yet another example of why you should carry in the shower.

Someone should really share this information with our law enforcement and military communities so they can start switching over to the .22lr.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yet another example of why you should carry in the shower.

il_570xN.169458032.jpg

Top Bottom