Woman dies after failing to learn how to fight with a handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The sad truth is that a good 70% of those carrying a gun in Indiana today have never fired it. Not once. Carrying a gun makes you no more prepared to use it than buying a guitar makes you a musician.

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    The sad truth is that a good 70% of those carrying a gun in Indiana today have never fired it. Not once. Carrying a gun makes you no more prepared to use it than buying a guitar makes you a musician.

REALLY? I cannot fathom anyone carrying a gun that they have NEVER fired. Is that an actual thing? Do you guys know people that have done/do that?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    And yet there are some here on INGO who fight against the idea of required training. Hum.

That is because nothing should be required for a right! This includes license, permit or training! Were you required to have any training for any of your other rights?
    I do agree anyone who owns a firearm should seek out training on it's use and of State and Federal laws, but required? NO!

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I just went through the required course in N.C. for a Concealed Carry Permit. Minimal training consisting of a total of 8 hours combined classroom and range. Classroom focused primarily on the legal aspects of concealed carry and the justified use of lethal force. Short T/F, multiple choice test on material covered in classroom (notes and collaboration on test questions were permitted (i.e. Cheating). Out of 13 taking the course everyone passed.
    After the test, instructor covered basic handgunn types and parts.
    Range test
    30 shots at standard sihlouette target.
    10 each at 3, 5, and 7 yards.
    20 shots in sihlouette to pass.

Three women in the group had never fired a handgun. Instructor actually stood behind each one and helped them line up most shots. No one failed the range test either.

The course content is simply to meet the legal requirements the state has mandated and serves little to no practical purpose.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Guns are not talismans.
    THIS!

I have seen so many people go around as though because they have a gun they are safe. Most of these folks are "Too Busy" to go to the range regularly so they have no idea if the gun even works with the ammo they use let alone are in any way competent to use the gun should trouble arise. That isn't a good way to be and you are probably less safe carrying if this is you. If you are gonna cary then at least know you chosen firearm and if/how it works or this woman could be you. :(

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    70%? Care to share where you came up with that number?

I wouldn't even begin to know how to figure that number out. There are a lot though. I personally know a number of police officers who carry backup guns they have never fired or at most fired once. The sad part about that is that gun is usually also what they carry off duty.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I wouldn't even begin to know how to figure that number out. There are a lot though. I personally know a number of police officers who carry backup guns they have never fired or at most fired once. The sad part about that is that gun is usually also what they carry off duty.
    I'm not disputing the concept or idea, but to claim knowledge of a specific percentage is complete BS.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The consequences of no training can be death. THAT should be enough motivation. Not "because the government told me to".

It should be, but it isn't. We see plenty of people right here on INGO who go to a static range, bang away at a paper target, and figure they are prepared. Sadly, they are ahead of the curve.

I think some of the issue is the gun magazines only publish the winners. Susie Homemaker successfully used her .22 short to injure an intruder and he surrendered. They don't talk about women like this, or the woman in Indy who forgot to click her safety off and was subsequently raped or the guy who died reaching for his gun or the woman who caught a bullet trying to get to her off body carry, etc. etc. Success stories are great and are good politics, but you learn just as much, or more, from failures.

Lots of people treat the gun like a talisman or like a teddy bear. Another group is very vocal about 'rights' but oddly silent about 'responsibilities.' And people die trying to resist criminals in higher numbers than they need to because of it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

When I was in NY back in the '80's the local department had an article up with pictures about a NY trooper killed in a convenience store robbery. He was in uniform, had his weapon out and the drop on the bad guys. Only problem was he had NEVER fired his weapon and couldn't get the safety off. I think the excuse went something like the weapons had just been issued last month and some range time had been scheduled...:rolleyes:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Yep, I know a couple of folks that have owned hand guns for protection and have never fired them. One unfired gun I know of is now 3yrs old, never been fired, live or dry.

Top Bottom