• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    This. Not to knock the OP, because any gun is better than no gun, but a lot of women (and men) have the idea that a smaller handgun is better for women. In my opinion and experience, it's the exact opposite. My view on handguns for women (women that are new to shooting in particular) is that it needs to be the biggest, heaviest, longest sight radius gun you can find, and that most likely 9mm will be as much recoil as they are comfortable with practicing with. With proper instruction on grip and stance, shooting a full-size .45 is no issue, but will be more recoil than they are comfortable with shooting a lot of.

I took a female friend who decided she should look into getting a gun shooting for the first time a couple of weekends ago. After shooting a Ruger Mark III, M&P9, M&P9 full size, LCP .380, and 1911's in .45 and 9mm, she loved the M&P9 full size and the 1911 in 9mm. Good and heavy, smooth recoil, long enough sight radius she could put round on target, and great trigger.

Again, not knocking you, OP, but I'd bet you a Coke your friend would be willing to trade or sell the Bersa for a bigger, heavier model in 9mm if she had the chance to shoot them side by side. She'll be more willing to practice and be will more accurate with something that doesn't bite her and she can hit with.

This is all for a home defense gun...for a carry gun, yeah, the Bersa is a great choice.
    No worries! Like I said before, I acquired it and figured she might like it to have at her apartment.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are being the bestof friends in this case, Redhorse. Based on similar experiences I hope you will have time to shoot with your friend and get her to really get comfortable with the idea that if you bring the firearm into the equation in a situation, you must be willing to follow through and use it. I've been quite surprised at how many otherwise sensible adults still carry TV images in their subconscious, that simply pointing a gun at someone will make them throw up their hands and surrender. Overcoming the desire to not actually have to hurt someone has been the biggest struggle in my experience, and practice on the range and about proper mindset has been the cure. If they like the gun and want to bump up performance, We've had good luck shooting the buffalo bore hardcast which approaches the low end of 9mm performance (1175fps or so out of a beretta 84). From what I've read muzzle velocities of .380 are too low for reliable hollow point expansion.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You are being the bestof friends in this case, Redhorse. Based on similar experiences I hope you will have time to shoot with your friend and get her to really get comfortable with the idea that if you bring the firearm into the equation in a situation, you must be willing to follow through and use it. I've been quite surprised at how many otherwise sensible adults still carry TV images in their subconscious, that simply pointing a gun at someone will make them throw up their hands and surrender. Overcoming the desire to not actually have to hurt someone has been the biggest struggle in my experience, and practice on the range and about proper mindset has been the cure. If they like the gun and want to bump up performance, We've had good luck shooting the buffalo bore hardcast which approaches the low end of 9mm performance (1175fps or so out of a beretta 84). From what I've read muzzle velocities of .380 are too low for reliable hollow point expansion.
    Well I spend a lot of time with her, have a key to her apartment, and live near by but I realize I can't be there all the time. She may not want to have a gun in her apartment at all though but it's a decent gesture if she does ever want one.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I got one for my wife but she traded for a 9mm Beretta to shoot at FNS. Now she has a Sig P238 that she won't give up because she loves the feel of it and she can hit whatever she's aiming at. Dang, she has almost as many pistols as I do.

You don't have enough pistols.

Neither does she.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got one for my daughter after she turned 18 and got her LTCH. She has shot almost everything in my safe, and manipulated almost every small to mid sized pistol in four gun shops before choosing the Bursa Thunder CC model.

For her, it came down to the following:
    1. Big enough to hold on to, but small enough to carry the way(s) she wants
    2. Single stack, but wide enough grips that the recoil gets spread across her palm
    3. Best trigger of anything in that size/price range.
    4. Decocker and good safety position

My assessment:
    1. Has been 100% reliable through 300+ rounds, both FMJ and HP
    2. More accurate than I expected, 3 inch groups at 7 yards
    3. Easy to breakdown and clean

I gave one to my daughter as well. I agree with everything above. Nice thing about them, is you can dress them up a bit and make them a little more "girly".

Bersa.jpg

BTW, the feel of this grip makes the gun 100% better.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I gave one to my daughter as well. I agree with everything above. Nice thing about them, is you can dress them up a bit and make them a little more "girly".

Bersa.jpg

BTW, the feel of this grip makes the gun 100% better.

I'll show those to my daughter.....see if she wants to dress hers up too.

Top Bottom