• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I'd run that idea past your homeowner's insurance company as well. Sometimes they charge an additional premium if you have a wood stove in the house.

Dirty Steve

Insurance around here was wanting about $1000 a year more if you have a wood burning stove. You may have to shop around. The 3 things my insurance company said would jack rates was a pool, trampoline, and Wood burning stove.

BTW if you do decide to get one, make sure it is air tight and has an air inlet from the outside. Most will use the heat from the room to burn and it pulls in outside air from around the doors and windows, making the rest of the house colder.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    One thing that hasn't been said is that you will most likely need a humidifier also. Wood heat puts out very dry air and can cause some respiratory issues for some. I know that if I don't use our humidifier I wake up with a very dry throat.

However wood heat is a lot different than gas or electric heat. I asked my wife if she wanted to go back to our gas heat and not have to mess with all the work of cutting wood and stuff, and she said hell no.... She loved the wood heat.

Here's another thread from a few months ago here on INGO about inserts. It has a few good links to other places for info on wood stoves.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/364597-fireplace-insert-sales-installation.html

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I have an endeaver also and I put mine on a basic wood stove pad-thing on the floor, but I didn't do anything to the wall behind it, since the set-back exceeded the specs. The only thing is, when the stove is really hot, the drywall gets hotter than I expected

at the place just above the stove. I used the double-walled pipe, so the mfg clearance is way closer than with single wall pipe. It never gets too hot to lay your hand against the wall, but it gets pretty hot.

Have you experienced that?

Just installed the chimney tonight | Hearth.com Forums Home

The Stone gets warm to the touch, but I exceeded the clearances a bit. If you can hold your hand on it I wouldn't worry to much. You could put tile directly on the drywall if it bothers you though. It'll glue right to it.

I've heard mixed science in the outside air kits, from what I gathered it turned out to be unnecessary.

Call around for insurance, my agent acted like I was silly for bringing it up, no big deal as long as it wasn't some 50 year old fire hazard I bought off Craigs list.

Humidifier is a must, but a pot of water on the stove will do the same.

There's no better heat than wood heat.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd look at.the brands listed above, and I would not rule out pellet stoves. I have an old school BK insert upstairs, and a propane fireplace downstairs. We only occasionally test fire the furnace.
    I had a wood burning stove downstairs several years ago, but detested the mess. This year wifey suggested that we get a pellet stove for downstairs, and leave the propane fireplace in place for a go to hxll backup. I think that's an excellent plan, and am researching and looking for one now. I plan to take advantage of the mid summer sales and buy a couple of tons of pellets before next year's season starts. That should insulate us from any temporary supply problems.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As long as the drywall is not paper-faced, I wouldn't sweat that. Even a 1/2" of gypsum is gonna insulate wood studs from an excess of heat that's not too much to rest your flesh against.

Now, if it's paper-faced, that film of cellulose constantly exposed to heightened temps could result in a fire hazard.

That's to say nothing of what the heat may be doing to any kind of paint applied to the surface, or if the structure of the gypsum may be embrittled against incidental impact and you might be cruising for a large drywall patch in the future if something brushes against it.

And, of course, if it ever becomes a legitimate concern, you can just rip out the 2-3 stud-spaces of drywall behind the stove and throw up 3/4" cement-board and tile and grout. That'll not only insulate the wall structure behind the stove, but reflect more heat out into the room and act as a thermal battery if the stove is allowed to die down.

Follow the manufacturers installation instructions and DO NOT cut any corners.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    How is that either a refutation or amplification of my foregoing quote?

I guess because you were over engineering it? I over engineered my install but I wanted the heat retention that the stone would provide.

Thar lopi stove (because it is a convection stove and has an air jacket around it) has a ridiculously low clearance to combustibles. Something like 4 or 6 inches. It sounded like it was installed to spec but the op was nervous as the drywall was getting warm. A legitimate concern but if it's installed and operated to spec there is no need to worry.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Where in heck do you find sheetrock without paper on it? I've never seen such a thing. I use small pieces of paper covered to back a blowtorch or soldering iron, like for stained glass, and it scorches but I haven't had it flame up on me.

I did do some research on outside air intake because it made so much sense to me, and was pretty much assured it was unnecessary. I finally got my replacement card and have ordered my wood stove now :) It will be in the corner at 45° angle, which lets you get it a little closer in. Going to go with professional installation on this one.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    If you have a existing chimney/fireplace your best bet in my opinion would be to get an insert with a blower.
    I have a Regency h2100 and it is heats my 1800 square foot ranch home with ease. When it is around 25 degrees
    outside my house stays around 72 to 76 degrees depending on how i feed it or damper down the fire for longer burns.

The other advantage of using your existing chimney and hearth is that your insurance WILL NOT change. I talked to my
    insurance guy multiple times about this and he told me as long as it is not free standing and you are not running any
    new pipe out the roof or walls using your existing chimney is already insured because obviously you have a fireplace
    that is already covered in the policy. This only applies for wood burning appliances that use existing chimney and hearth
    as i said before. This is what my insurance provider has told me before i bought mine.

It also needs to be properly installed of course. if you feel even the slightest bit nervous about installation let a professional do
    it.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I guess because you were over engineering it? I over engineered my install but I wanted the heat retention that the stone would provide.

Thar lopi stove (because it is a convection stove and has an air jacket around it) has a ridiculously low clearance to combustibles. Something like 4 or 6 inches. It sounded like it was installed to spec but the op was nervous as the drywall was getting warm. A legitimate concern but if it's installed and operated to spec there is no need to worry.

I wouldn't say nervous, just that I've noticed and thought I'd get your take, since you have the same stove. Although yours is in a corner and mine is against a flat wall, so my chimney flue is closer to the surface. I carefully considered the location and installed it to specs. Like you say, that stove has a very close clearance when you use the double-walled chimney, but I added a few inches for good measure. I'm very pleased with the Lopi stove; on it's third winter and working great.

The insurance guy asked me if I installed it myself to save money and I told him "I installed it myself because I don't trust anyone else to work on my house".

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    The insurance guy asked me if I installed it myself to save money and I told him "I installed it myself because I don't trust anyone else to work on my house".

That is for sure... A lot of companies will cut corners to save a little more money. I take my time and do it right. Even take more time to do a better job.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Having a smaller house, I had trouble finding a stove with back wall clearances that wouldn't put the stove in the middle of the living room's floor. The Lopi Answer fit my needs perfectly. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom