• ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Hire it installed.

I burn a wood stove in a tent what amounts to a couple of months a year, with nothing but a stove jack between readily meltable tent fabric and the hot pipe, and I have never killed myself. Done correctly following fairly easy to understand rules it is completely safe. I can't imagine any reason why that wouldn't hold for a mobile home.

But since you are asking whether it is safe, hire it installed.

Definitely going to have it professionally installed. I am no plumber, stove worker, or whatever you need to be to install something like this.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Oops...forgot the pictures.

This is the basement stove.

This is the one in the living room (obviously not in use since it had greenery setting on it).

Nice cat and stoves, but it's too early for Christmas decorations!

We use a Heatmor 100CSS outdoor wood furnace. We also have an old appalachian wood stove inside that we could use during a power outage. I don't think the outdoor woodburner is really worth the cost...a wood stove could also heat the house and it just eats so much wood. Part of that is the stainless steel design from what I understand - regular boiler plate steel would transfer heat into the water more efficiently. But then there is that concern about corrosion.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Nice cat and stoves, but it's too early for Christmas decorations!

We use a Heatmor 100CSS outdoor wood furnace. We also have an old appalachian wood stove inside that we could use during a power outage. I don't think the outdoor woodburner is really worth the cost...a wood stove could also heat the house and it just eats so much wood. Part of that is the stainless steel design from what I understand - regular boiler plate steel would transfer heat into the water more efficiently. But then there is that concern about corrosion.

That was an old picture. I was too lazy to go take a current one and figured the stove hadn't change any! :):

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    We bought a Pacific Energy Summit and hope to have it installed in the next week or so. I'm looking forward to heating with wood to help offset the electric heat. The electric heat will be replaced with high efficiency propane for next year, but still plan to use more wood than propane.

I already have the stuff needed to produce split firewood, so my only start up cost is the insert. The insert is not cheap and will take about 3 years to see the return. We have several years worth of trees at our disposl so some gas and my time should help with a quicker return.

That said, if anyone has a source for SEASONED firewood, please send me their number!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Who would you recommend for a fireplace insert. I'm in indianapolis. I don't think I'm heating efficiently with just a regular brick fireplace.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I cheat....and I use a PelPro Pellet stove. Forget cutting, splitting and stacking all that wood! I buy my wood in 40ln bags! :rockwoot: My pellet stove rocks and my new house build next year will inlcude a bigger pellet stove (sized for house) to be used as primary heat source with a Natural Gas furnace as secondary (emergency).

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Made a boo boo. Just for giggles I filled the princess UP. That was early yesterday evening. It's STILL in the 80s up there. Daaang. Just fired it wide open from a top down start for about half an hour, then shut it down. Wow.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Lessons learned in the per-suite of "Free-ish" heat
    The stoves are expensive. The flu materials are ridiculous expensive. The set up is a lot of work if you do it all yourself and if you pay to have it done oh boy.
    OK. Stove is set and safe.
    Now, wood. I have 3 saws. I used to have 4. I have a trailer to haul the wood. I have halves in a spliter. I have probably 4 ax's and 2 mals (sp). I was going to my sisters place and her hubby and I would pull downed trees out with "His" Kubota. Cut them down with the saws (fuel/blades/gloves and a lot of aspirin) then we split it and divided it. I would load it up. Drive the 35 miles back to my house and unload it. I built (2) lean too's this summer that hold 2 Ric's each. That is a lot of treated lumber/screws/tools/time/beer.

I have no freaking idea how much I have invested but when someone asks how I like my "Free" heat I want to punch them in the face.......:)
    This year the BIL decided his health was more important than "Free" wood so he is not dragging/cutting/splitting anymore. Last winter near killed us both.
    So now I am buying wood. I still use my truck to drive 20 miles out to buy it. I load it and do the drive/stack thing. I have 3 saws that are just sitting. 2 are 1 year old 55cc 20" bar units that throw chips. I have to say tha at near 65 years old the buying thing aint so bad.
    Free my Butt/.....:laugh6:

Yes, it is far from free. Just blew the tranny out of my truck hauling a light load of seasoned wood that I talked a guy out of while making a gun trade. One of many light loads with a few heavy loads mixed in. It's an old truck with a few other issues so I guess I'll look for something else to replace it.
    And as far as the "Good Exercise" saying goes......I blew my back out again and will probably end up going under the knife again so........."Freeish" is a pretty good description.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Never thought wood burning would be free. But would it be safe to assume that over time, you come out ahead financially vs propane or natural gas? Even if starting from scratch? What if you had to pay for wood? (I would not)

if we build a house, i would like to plan to have the option of a wood burner. Either on the duct work and use it vs the furnace or seperate wood heat. Too far off to make those decisions now. But experience can say if in the long run you are financially ahead.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Never thought wood burning would be free. But would it be safe to assume that over time, you come out ahead financially vs propane or natural gas? Even if starting from scratch? What if you had to pay for wood? (I would not)

if we build a house, i would like to plan to have the option of a wood burner. Either on the duct work and use it vs the furnace or seperate wood heat. Too far off to make those decisions now. But experience can say if in the long run you are financially ahead.

Without buying wood, you would come out ahead. You have to do the work but exercise is good, right?

We have an ample wood supply and the time to do it so that it ages well before winter, and save a lot of money as we do not even turn our furnace on. We keep our house cooler than most, but it is easy enough to add a sweatshirt if needed.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

even buying it you will still come out ahead especially when you consider the price of propane or NG. At least in the country where utilities are a bit more expensive. You can usually find 40-50 dollar split ricks in the spring and summer on craigslist and what not. Even if you burn 10 ricks a year that is only $500 dollars! that's half of one propane fill up on a 500 gallon tank. If you cut and split your own wood even quicker return though.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

A lot of people like to include anything and everything when justifying the true cost of burning wood for heat. I kind of look at it like this....

Wood... I get mine for free. From either my family's land, or my nephew who work's for a tree company. They will drop it off at my house.
    Chainsaw... A lot of people include this into the price of the cost, but I would have a chainsaw even if I did not burn wood, and did for many years that I didn't.
    Gas... unless you burn over 5 cords a year, gas is a small cost.
    Splitting... I have a gas splitter but that doesn't mean that you have to have one. You can get by with a cheap axe (or buy a top on the line Fiskars).
    Gas for truck... I'm always on my land, or camp anyway. I'd be there with or with-out wood (which I am all the time as my wood get's delivered to my house).
    Time it takes to cut & split... Well, if it gets your big ass off the couch and out doors getting some much needed exercise how can you charge for that?

Top Bottom