• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    That's great!! Sounds like you have a great daughter to be proud of. Nothing wrong with bragging about it :rockwoot:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I did some time in recruiting. My information is outdated, but the process stays the same. If you need help navigating that, just let me know. Usually recruiters try to help the recruit out. Then again, sometimes they don't.

Wait! Wait! WAIT! Woobie, as I recall you were army? what sort of system you trying to recruit this young lady into? She needs to see the wonder of going Navy and donning the digital green and tan utilities of the worlds finest!

gotta be careful, thunder chicken

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    OMgoodness I completely agree with that concern. Heck, I am concerned about that no matter what school she ends up going to. It seems to be an incredible issue on almost all college campuses.
    So far she has shown to have a spine and not allow teachers to feed her crap. She has spoken out against the masses in school during political conversations.
    She also informed me she talked with her JROTC instructor about being a Corpman (I think that was the term) to get the medical training she wants while serving our country. I was floored when she told me this today.

Have her join the Navy, and Serve with the MARINES .....

Corpsman, is correct .....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Also, in 2000 when I started instate females had around a 70% admission rate. Not bad!

she needs to keep a clean record in college. No drinking charges. Trips up a lot of people

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wait! Wait! WAIT! Woobie, as I recall you were army? what sort of system you trying to recruit this young lady into? She needs to see the wonder of going Navy and donning the digital green and tan utilities of the worlds finest!

gotta be careful, thunder chicken

Yeah, who better to tell someone not to go Army than a soldier?

Mainly I don't want to see someone join without considering all their options. And recruiters aren't necessarily there to show you all the options. They have a mission, and it isn't helping someone wait a year or two until the right opportunity presents itself.

I always figured I was going to be the first NCO in that new soldier's career. Soldier welfare is very important as an NCO. But the recruiting organization isn't really built for soldier welfare. It's why I left. (You can resign as a Guard recruiter).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Very cool. Understand that IU is a phenomenal medical school and probably 25% the cost of east coast elite schools. I worked some of the "elite" grads in medical school and they were all way behind at actual patient care. They were probably smart, but residency is really what makes you Into the doc you'll be.

IU has a good residency in anesthesia too I think

To build further on this as someone currently in undergrad trying to get into Medical School. She will not actually apply to medical school till around the end of her junior year in college after several years of difficult science pre-requisite classes. Med schools ONLY care about what you do and how you did in college. So while this trip is good to keep her interested she still has a very long way to go.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    To build further on this as someone currently in undergrad trying to get into Medical School. She will not actually apply to medical school till around the end of her junior year in college after several years of difficult science pre-requisite classes. Med schools ONLY care about what you do and how you did in college. So while this trip is good to keep her interested she still has a very long way to go.

I knew a guy that got into medical school with a BS in History...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I knew a guy that got into medical school with a BS in History...

You can get into Medical school with any major just as long as you complete the pre-req classes, which include 2 semesters each of Chemistry , Biology, Organic Chemistry , Physics , and one semester each of Calculus and Biochemistry currently. When it's all said and done it takes almost 3 full academic years to complete the pre-req classes in order to even apply and take the MCAT........

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I understand that there is still a very long road to travel before even getting into med school anywhere. I have explained to her that from my perspective, this opportunity might simply be a good way to determine if this is the direction she really wants to go. She understands that there are a number of good jobs in the medical field and that lets face it, many aren't for everyone. I also told her that it's an honor of sorts just to be invited to participate. And that she should check with schools like IU, IUPUI etc and see if they have any shadowing programs that might help her decide if she really thinks this is for her.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You can get into Medical school with any major just as long as you complete the pre-req classes, which include 2 semesters each of Chemistry , Biology, Organic Chemistry , Physics , and one semester each of Calculus and Biochemistry currently. When it's all said and done it takes almost 3 full academic years to complete the pre-req classes in order to even apply and take the MCAT........

yep. I think the non-traditional students are looked at better as more well-rounded individuals. Plus, if medical school didn't work out, what on earth would I do with a biology degree? I should have majored in business, or at least double-majored

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    yep. I think the non-traditional students are looked at better as more well-rounded individuals. Plus, if medical school didn't work out, what on earth would I do with a biology degree? I should have majored in business, or at least double-majored

Pfft. I have a B.A. In Prelaw and then didn't go to law school immediately...and thought I may never. At least a Biology degree can get you some sweet fishery action or maybe some sort of environmental scam job.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I understand that there is still a very long road to travel before even getting into med school anywhere. I have explained to her that from my perspective, this opportunity might simply be a good way to determine if this is the direction she really wants to go. She understands that there are a number of good jobs in the medical field and that lets face it, many aren't for everyone. I also told her that it's an honor of sorts just to be invited to participate. And that she should check with schools like IU, IUPUI etc and see if they have any shadowing programs that might help her decide if she really thinks this is for her.

I entered undergrad as a hopeful naive 18 year old Pre-Med major. Until I had my first collegiate chemistry class. I quickly changed my major.

Put the "Physician Assistant" bug in her ear. Or Physical Therapist. Or even Nurse Practitioner if she wants to go that route. One can still make very good coin as a PA AND there's no malpractice insurance to pay.

maybe some sort of environmental scam job.

I will fight you, old man! :D

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    While she is at the schools, see if she can stop by the ROTC area to talk with them about options. Many people become medical professionals and the military is happy to pay for it. You just repay by serving. One friend is an anesthesiologist and the Navy paid for it all (med school itself). My wife's family is full of MD's and Nurses paid for by the Army.

Hurts not to investigate.

Congrats BTW

Top Bottom