• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't know what is good and what is not, that is exactly why I am asking. If the Simmons scope is something that won't last, and that will eventually have to be replaced, then I will stay away from it. What I meant by saving was getting as much out of an item for the money I paid for it. I'm not cheap, but I don't have more money than you do, I just presented an option like I was instructed to do.

What he is saying is more of a philosophical muse. Those of us who shoot a LOT and who have gone through a similar journey have piles of old glass that either broke or just did not stand up to our increasing appreciation of better quality. If you go that path you WILL eventually become an optics snob because you have the skill and experience to appreciate the higher quality and you will regret the money wasted in reaching that point.

On the other hand, MOST shooters never get to that point and while a better quality optic certainly performs better and if it does break (they all can break no matter how much they cost), the difference is what the company does: higher dollar optics get fixed or replaced free whereas low dollar ones are "you're on your own sucka!"

If you are the kind of shooter who will only shoot a couple hundred rounds a year and tenth of a minute of angle precision isn't that important to you (very few shooters are that good) then an option like the Simmons may give you a lifetime of service and you'll never know different. As long as you are clear that what you are buying is the low end and that you may end up with it sitting in a junk drawer some day (as opposed to the NcStar which is virtually guaranteed to do so) then it's an ok purchase.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I don't know what is good and what is not, that is exactly why I am asking. If the Simmons scope is something that won't last, and that will eventually have to be replaced, then I will stay away from it. What I meant by saving was getting as much out of an item for the money I paid for it. I'm not cheap, but I don't have more money than you do, I just presented an option like I was instructed to do.

If you read my sig line it says "you don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely." Those are words to live by in the optics world. Your best bet is to call me at 765-580-0986. All I do is scopes. I do it day in, and day out. I know what works for what purpose's, in what price range's. 1 phone call will save you years of regret.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you read my sig line it says "you don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely." Those are words to live by in the optics world. Your best bet is to call me at 765-580-0986. All I do is scopes. I do it day in, and day out. I know what works for what purpose's, in what price range's. 1 phone call will save you years of regret.

And bauerr3: While Alan might steer you away from the absolute cheapest thing out there, he won't steer you wrong and he won't take advantage of you just to make a buck. He's one of the very few InGO advertisers here who get my unreserved endorsement both as a businessman and a person.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Called Alan, and was pointed in a good direction. Great guy, great conversation, and he definitely knows his stuff. Anyone who doesn't know what to do, I would highly recommend you call him.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy

^This. 100%

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    My only experience with a cheap scope:

I had a 3x9 Simmons that lived on a 10/22 for about 3 years.

Two weekends ago my wife was shooting Appleseed with it. She adjusted the magnification from 3x to 5x and the adjustment threw the POI off by roughly 20 frickin' MOA. She was steamed. She came back from the firing line and said "You call Alan in the morning and get me a new scope."

I did.

Top Bottom