• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great video. This concept is essential to accurate rapid fire with service type pistols. It also applies to almost ever other technique in defensive shooting. Paul keep the quality info coming.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Great vid! I have always done this with no training. I guess it just feels natural to me. I never thought about me doing it until I saw my wife shoot and she does it in series. I do happen to go thru more rounds than her, just thought it was mag capacity. :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    It seems like it would be easy for people who don't currently use reset (serial method) to say "I'm doing this!" when they really aren't. It seems like we would all have to keep ourselves or those we help accountable slowly to be sure these skills were actually being used. If shooting any faster than "very slowly" it's hard to tell that you're reseting and prepping rather than just letting off and re-pulling. Very interesting as I thought serial-style reset shooting was still the tip of the sword. Looks like it's gotten even sharper. Thanks Paul.

How do we transition this to dryfire practice? You can do serial-style in dryfire by trying to keep your sights stationary during reset and pulling. Can this only be drilled live-fire?

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    How do we transition this to dryfire practice? You can do serial-style in dryfire by trying to keep your sights stationary during reset and pulling. Can this only be drilled live-fire?

It's a little hokey but reset & prep while you are manipulating the slide and then get back on the sights. The 'getting back on the sights' is 'out of time' but the reset & prep should be good.

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I retitled the video to mirror the earlier one that I did. There will be one more video in this set. Part 3 will go into the actual trigger manipulation that I use [I go further forward than 'Reset' to address trigger freeze issues & back to 'Slack Out'] and why.

Hopefully, between the three of them, I'll have put together a pretty simple & easy to understand package on 'triggering concepts'.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    When practicing accuracy specifically, I use a "serial" method of resetting, prepping and stroking the trigger through its range of motion. As experienced is gained with the method and the individual steps become automatic, I think this pretty naturally evolves to resetting and prepping in recoil during faster strings of fire.

It seems to me that the "Parallel" method is the natural evolution of the "Serial" method as a person moves from familiarity to proficiency to mastery of the individual steps. (I am still somewhere between familiarity and proficiency.) The shooter may just not consciously consider that they are performing them in parallel.

Compressing the trigger press in to the press out phase of the draw stroke and timing it with sight picture aquisition is something I am currently working on.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    It seems like it would be easy for people who don't currently use reset (serial method) to say "I'm doing this!" when they really aren't.

Well I guess I could be letting fully off the trigger, my M&P is hard to tell where the reset is untill I get apex parts. Now that I think about it I am fully releasing the trigger because I always pull the trigger back to the break point then squeeze. So yes I was wrong thank you. :D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    It seems like it would be easy for people who don't currently use reset (serial method) to say "I'm doing this!" when they really aren't.

Well I guess I could be letting fully off the trigger, my M&P is hard to tell where the reset is untill I get apex parts. Now that I think about it I am fully releasing the trigger because I always pull the trigger back to the break point then squeeze. So yes I was wrong thank you. :D

Wasn't trying to pick on you man, your comment just made me think about that!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great video and something I've always struggled with. Never have been happy with my trigger control. Now I've got some good info to use to practice now that I have membership at MCFG and can get some serous practice in on a regular basis! And I have to re-learn some things since my recent thumb fusion has changed the way I have to grip my hand guns and has thrown off my entire grip and trigger position.

bonas96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    West Side of Indy
    Good skill to practice...I have been working on trigger control and this is in line with what I have been trying for. The goal is to get to a point where it is "natural"

Top Bottom