• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    65 Satterlee Test.jpg

So, I've had my 6.5 creedmoor for a while now and up till I started shooting beyond 1,000 yards I've been quite happy with the groups I was getting out of factory ammo. I'm trying to work up a load using Satterlee method loading in increments and measuring the results with a magneto speed chronograph. I've done some variations of this before in the past, but thought I stopped short in the powder charge. This time I wanted to go till I saw a pressure sign, and on the last round I had the first blown primer in all my years of reloading. The bolt never got noticeably heavy or any other kind of sign.

When I look at this chart trying to find the "flat spots" or nodes, I'm outside of my wheelhouse. On the one hand, 44.1 looks like it'd be worth a try, but that's way up there in the pressure close and I don't think that's a good idea. Next it makes me want to look into the 42.1 - 42.7 range a little deeper. After that, I'm thinking about the 40.3 - 40.9 range, but that's getting to be on the slow side of things.

I'm willing to trade off speed for better accuracy, and I shoot in sandy, rainy, less than ideal conditions frequently so I don't feel like flirting with over pressure on the high end of the pressure scale either.

Thoughts? This method is still a little new to me compared to the old days of loading up 5 rounds at half grain increments and shooting groups all day long.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've never done a "proper" test like this, but I see the value. I realize the point is to only shoot 1 round at each charge weight, but its hard to make valuable decisions based on a single datapoint. I think it gets you in the ballpark, and then you do a more focused test with a better sample size to dial in on it. If you like that 44.1 gr range, my suggestion would be to now do a smaller charge weight range with 5 rounds at each charge weight. Say 5 rounds at 43.7, 43.9, 44.1, and 44.3. You'll get a better idea of velocity and a clearer view of what appears to be a flat spot or node, and also get an idea of accuracy at each of those weights. I'm guessing you'll see 2 or 3 of those 4 sample charge weights give decent accuracy, and 1 with excellent accuracy. Go from there.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My testing usually involves 5 round test, 1 grain variation up the ladder, then when i find a sweet spot i adjust .2 up and down with 5 round test rounds. Just recently did some testing with 4895 this way and had extremely good results out to 1000 yards 6.5 creed moor and 140 gr amax bullets. Next test will be for 6.5x284.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    42.2-42.6gr H4350 under a 140-class bullet loaded to 2.81” COAL in Hornady brass.

Boom, done.

Drop a tenth starting for Lapua brass.

Find the charge weight that looks best then tweak OAL if desired.

Top Bottom