Would another constitutional convention today be bad news for us?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Libs have been throwing up trial balloons for years about this. The first I remember was in the 70's as a young adult. This is the first I've heard of this from Republican's.

Conservatives have historically been against this because once a CC is convened there are no bounds as to what they may or may not change. Whatever they propose would still have to be ratified.

There is still a lot of debate over whether the 14th ammendment was really ratified. Still every April 15th...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Libs have been throwing up trial balloons for years about this. The first I remember was in the 70's as a young adult. This is the first I've heard of this from Republican's.

Conservatives have historically been against this because once a CC is convened there are no bounds as to what they may or may not change. Whatever they propose would still have to be ratified.

There is still a lot of debate over whether the 14th ammendment was really ratified. Still every April 15th...
    A so-called "conservative" Indiana state senator is behind the current call for a CC, (the jackwad Long). No doubt he has lots of buddies in the senate and house who're more than willing to back his play for a CC, thinking we'll all come out unscathed. Yeah, the process is long and it takes votes from the states to approve things, but some things are best left alone. This is a case of a brain damaged republican calling for something we don't even need. If they'd just support the Constitution we have and uphold and expand it then we'd be all right. But, no....gotta rattle the hornets nest.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Founding Fathers were well educated in history and philosophy and used that knowledge to design a succinct and well thought out (if imperfect) Constitution that has lasted centuries. Just look at the page count of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) that wasn't even read before it was voted on. The EU Constitution is 855 pages. All sides would get to have input in a Constitutional Convention and with the state of current political discourse and current level of education of the those that would likely attend, even if some good things were added/changed, I'd hate to think of what would be added that would make things more oppressive, regulated, and difficult to comply. Given that the government doesn't follow the current Constitution, I really don't see how throwing open the doors for any and all updates would be a net benefit.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome

14th or 16th?

There are strong arguments showing neither was properly ratified...and I would advocate for abolishing both.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

There are certain topics I would just LOVE to see covered in a Constitutional convention.

Balanced budget amendment; limit scope of the Commerce Clause; repeal Social Security; full transparency of all branches of government after a certain time; an Amendment protecting private collection of information. Do away with the Department of Education; Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack, etc.

I could go on and on with limits and reforms and branches to kill.

That said, I am deeply concerned about what the high population sheeple coasts would want to add!

So as much as I would like to see quick and harsh reform I think I'll take the devil I know to the the devil I don't.

Regards,

Doug

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It would be very dangerous as to what might come out of it and why would anyone think that congress or the remainder of the government would follow the new constitution any better than they follow the current one?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I presume the constitution as, well, constituted, to be in large part intended to protect us from the morons that would misuse government to our detriment, though these morons have been ingenious in finding ways to do it anyway. Letting those morons get their greasy fingers on it has little prospect for good. I'm against a convention. I'd worry they'd come up with a "package" for an up/down vote, and too many would be willing to compromise too much. Introduce amendments the way it's been done, and let each stand or fall on its own.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I presume the constitution as, well, constituted, to be in large part intended to protect us from the morons that would misuse government to our detriment, though these morons have been ingenious in finding ways to do it anyway. Letting those morons get their greasy fingers on it has little prospect for good. I'm against a convention. I'd worry they'd come up with a "package" for an up/down vote, and too many would be willing to compromise too much. Introduce amendments the way it's been done, and let each stand or fall on its own.

[video=youtube_share;ZG0faW-LRZU]http://youtu.be/ZG0faW-LRZU[/video]

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To All,

There are certain topics I would just LOVE to see covered in a Constitutional convention.

Balanced budget amendment; limit scope of the Commerce Clause; repeal Social Security; full transparency of all branches of government after a certain time; an Amendment protecting private collection of information. Do away with the Department of Education; Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack, etc.

I could go on and on with limits and reforms and branches to kill.

That said, I am deeply concerned about what the high population sheeple coasts would want to add!

So as much as I would like to see quick and harsh reform I think I'll take the devil I know to the the devil I don't.

Regards,

Doug

Now just hold on there !!!!! DON'T TRY TO TAKE "my" Soc., Sec., away from ME, I've paid into it all my life.
    I am also just 4 years away from collecting it .....

ESP., when the "Politicians", are so willing to GIVE IT AWAY, to PEOPLE, who have NEVER paid ONE DIME, into it !!!!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hate auto correct this is what it does when I type numbers and I forget to check or make changes. Sixteenth is actually what I typed, this is how auto correct sees it 16th. Made a liar out of me. It changes numbers all the time.

Sorry haven't been back for a while.

Top Bottom