• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’m looking to trade my current firearm for a handgun but I’m not sure what’s the best for concealed carry. And suggestions or tips help
    I would assume that your current firearm is not a handgun the way that is worded.
    One thing to remember: You are not married to the first handgun you purchase. You CAN buy others. Some folks even sell their old ones. :D

I think I would ask you another question: What were your marksmanship skills with your "other firearm"? The reason I ask is, whatever problems you had firing that accurately, if they do exist, will only be multiplied in handgun shooting. Before trying to become a "pistolero", concentrate on being consistently accurate first.

The BEST pistol for you will be the one that you shoot the best, naturally. Believe it or not, there are differences between them all. Most folks will come on your thread here and tell you what brand to pick, not all, but, your question will probably be similar to "what truck should I buy? ford or chevy?" That's where the fight usually starts. lol

All kidding aside, major brands are your best bet. Glock, Sig, M&P, H&K, there are way too many to mention.
    To start with, I suggest a striker fired pistol. Consistent trigger operation is why. DA/SA pistols are great but, in my opinion, not for beginner CCW folks.

Wish you the best in your CCW journey.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Midwest is a newer gun range that rents next to Glenbrook mall in Fort Wayne. They have a pretty good selection of rentals and firearms for sale. I haven't been in Freedom in years. Last I checked they were a little higher than most shops around.

I have a Hellcat Pro and the wife carries a Glock 43X. I have put a few rounds thru each gun and both are comfortable to shoot and small enough for EDC. We did convert the 43X to SA magazines which brings it up to the Hellcat at 15+1.
    I bought my shotgun from Midwest, they do have a great collection of handguns. I wasn’t sure if they had a range and did the rentals or not. I’ll probably end up going there the check some out

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I would assume that your current firearm is not a handgun the way that is worded.
    One thing to remember: You are not married to the first handgun you purchase. You CAN buy others. Some folks even sell their old ones. :D

I think I would ask you another question: What were your marksmanship skills with your "other firearm"? The reason I ask is, whatever problems you had firing that accurately, if they do exist, will only be multiplied in handgun shooting. Before trying to become a "pistolero", concentrate on being consistently accurate first.

The BEST pistol for you will be the one that you shoot the best, naturally. Believe it or not, there are differences between them all. Most folks will come on your thread here and tell you what brand to pick, not all, but, your question will probably be similar to "what truck should I buy? ford or chevy?" That's where the fight usually starts. lol

All kidding aside, major brands are your best bet. Glock, Sig, M&P, H&K, there are way too many to mention.
    To start with, I suggest a striker fired pistol. Consistent trigger operation is why. DA/SA pistols are great but, in my opinion, not for beginner CCW folks.

Wish you the best in your CCW journey.
    I’ve grown up shooting and handling guns and I’ve carried before but not for more than 2 years. And I don’t have a problem with accuracy more just the comfort of the firearm in my hand. And reliability/durability. But based off what I have experience with shooting and carrying in the past I think I’m gonna go and get the smith & Wesson m&p shield. I might go with .40 because I’ve shot .40 numerous time and love the feel of it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’ve grown up shooting and handling guns and I’ve carried before but not for more than 2 years. And I don’t have a problem with accuracy more just the comfort of the firearm in my hand. And reliability/durability. But based off what I have experience with shooting and carrying in the past I think I’m gonna go and get the smith & Wesson m&p shield. I might go with .40 because I’ve shot .40 numerous time and love the feel of it.
    My sincere advice is not to do 40 in a smaller gun such as the Shield/Shield Plus. Others may disagree, but from my experience, I did not like 40 in a Glock 27 sized gun. It's just a bit abusive to shoot in that smaller gun size. Not saying it can't be mastered with some focused training and range time, etc, but I did not like it and moved away from 40 for that and other reasons.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    My sincere advice is not to do 40 in a smaller gun such as the Shield/Shield Plus. Others may disagree, but from my experience, I did not like 40 in a Glock 27 sized gun. It's just a bit abusive to shoot in that smaller gun size. Not saying it can't be mastered with some focused training and range time, etc, but I did not like it and moved away from 40 for that and other reasons.
    That’s true, I’ll have to compare the 9mm to the .40 when I go to the range and see what feels and handles better. But I’ll be sure to keep in mind what you said.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    That’s true, I’ll have to compare the 9mm to the .40 when I go to the range and see what feels and handles better. But I’ll be sure to keep in mind what you said.
    The Hellcat and the Glock 43X in 9mm are both a little snappy in that size of gun. I don't think I would want a bigger caliber without a little more weight to the gun. The wife does have a Kimber ultra in 45acp that is small and light but still manageable. I steal it from time to time to carry as well. It depends on if I want to dress up a bit.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    The Hellcat and the Glock 43X in 9mm are both a little snappy in that size of gun. I don't think I would want a bigger caliber without a little more weight to the gun. The wife does have a Kimber ultra in 45acp that is small and light but still manageable. I steal it from time to time to carry as well. It depends on if I want to dress up a bit.
    I’m thinking about going with a bigger/heavier gun just because those are what’s most comfortable for me to handle/shoot. A lot of people seem to think it’ll be my first carry and it’s probably due to my phrasing. But I’ve found the average size to small handguns just aren’t for me.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I’m thinking about going with a bigger/heavier gun just because those are what’s most comfortable for me to handle/shoot. A lot of people seem to think it’ll be my first carry and it’s probably due to my phrasing. But I’ve found the average size to small handguns just aren’t for me.
    Same here. The Hellcat Pro is as small as I comfortably like to carry. I prefer a 4" 1911 most of the time but the Hellcat is super easy to conseal.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    Same here. The Hellcat Pro is as small as I comfortably like to carry. I prefer a 4" 1911 most of the time but the Hellcat is super easy to conseal.
    I was thinking about getting a 1911 before I made this post because it’s one of if not the most comfortable gun for me

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Is this the huge one right off of colosseum blvd I believe is the road? I’ve been wanting to go to that one for a super long time and there always closed when I’m out that way on the weekends!
    That's it...from Coliseum Blvd, turn north on Executive Blvd and then make the first right...
    It's right before the Fort Wayne Fire Department station, located right next door...
    If you're driving in from a distance, please be sure to call ahead to verify their schedule...

Last edited:

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    I had the wife's Sig Spartan 4" 1911 at the range Sunday. I have carried it as well. I have been eyeing a Kimber Aegis Elite Pro. Currently the wife has all the cool 1911's.
    There’s been a few kimbers that also caught my eye. I have yet to shoot one though. How did the sig shoot?

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    There’s been a few kimbers that also caught my eye. I have yet to shoot one though. How did the sig shoot?
    It is fantastic to shoot. The checking on the front strap os super nice and grippy. It shoots one hole at 8-10yard range. I have a Kimber 5" 10mm but rarely carry the full size 1911. It does shoot really well also. I would consider carrying a 4" 1911 in 10mm or 45.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    It is fantastic to shoot. The checking on the front strap os super nice and grippy. It shoots one hole at 8-10yard range. I have a Kimber 5" 10mm but rarely carry the full size 1911. It does shoot really well also. I would consider carrying a 4" 1911 in 10mm or 45.
    I’ve yet to shoot 10mm but I’m quite comfortable with 45. I was also thinking a 4” or 4.25”

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    I’m looking to trade my current firearm for a handgun but I’m not sure what’s the best for concealed carry. And suggestions or tips help
    i started out with a generic S&W M&P Shield then upgraded to the performance center. about 18 months ago i upgraded to the shield plus performance center and its one of the best edc guns iv ever had. they go on sale at range usa from time to time, i would definitely encourage you to look into them.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I’d go a step further and say don’t buy anything chambered in .40. When I was subcontracting for DHS I had access to as much 165 grain HST as I could shoot. After shooting the course of fire with multiple firearms chambered in that round, I settled on a G23. The moment I transferred, the gun went up for sale. They’ve since switched back to 9mm along with most agencies. The round is becoming obsolete, which is why they’re dirt cheap.

Mike_wood11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Goshen
    i started out with a generic S&W M&P Shield then upgraded to the performance center. about 18 months ago i upgraded to the shield plus performance center and its one of the best edc guns iv ever had. they go on sale at range usa from time to time, i would definitely encourage you to look into them.
    Last time I was in the store the shield plus caught my eye and I’m pretty sure it was only about 650-700

Top Bottom