Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

• Total voters

Jneal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I really could care less what the manufactures name is, or how stupid it sounds. If it shoots straight and goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled and has a stupid name it's a heck of lot better than one with a cool name and malfuctions constantly. I've had high dollar custom 1911's that were better used as a blunt force object than a gun.

mj.elder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    They have a horrible rep with a lot of people, but when it domes down to it, they shoot reliably, just like mots other guns. Plus the KSG and their rifle caliber folders are incredibly reliable. They make good products if people would just give them a chance

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have one that I wanted to carry as a BUG. It does not extract reliably, and so I have stopped carrying it. I would never trust it as a primary gun at all.

If I could get it to run reliably I would use it as a BUG. I practiced with it for several hundred rounds and got to where I could manage the trigger well enough for head shots on a USPSA target with my weak hand. So with a little work the trigger can be over come. But the first order of business is bang, bang, bang and it simple does not deliver.

I have not gone through the pain of sending it back and seeing if they can make it work. I should do that but just never get around to it.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    I have one and carry it. Its a fine little piece for what it is. I much prefer my Springer 1911 or S&W 686...but neither conceal as easily or well as the PF-9. As mentioned its a snappy little gun so it takes some time to break the shooter in. I have found its a much nicer trigger than the S&W body guards and shields i have shot. Dont buy into the hype of people bad mouthing it...they most likely dont know how to shoot or have never shot one.

I have one that I wanted to carry as a BUG. It does not extract reliably, and so I have stopped carrying it. I would never trust it as a primary gun at all.

If I could get it to run reliably I would use it as a BUG. I practiced with it for several hundred rounds and got to where I could manage the trigger well enough for head shots on a USPSA target with my weak hand. So with a little work the trigger can be over come. But the first order of business is bang, bang, bang and it simple does not deliver.

I have not gone through the pain of sending it back and seeing if they can make it work. I should do that but just never get around to it.

I am going out on a limb here and going to suggest your limp wristing it. Wife has issues with stovepipes with ours. (bought it for her, but she doesnt like it and cant get it to cycle reliably due to limp wristing) When i first started shooting mine i had a few issues with stove piping as well, but once i got used to its "snappyness" or it got me broke in it works 100%.

First day at the range with the brand new PF-9
    [ame]http://youtu.be/W8kRl5wbztE[/ame]

Wifey and the first day with "her" new gun...(shes a former anti with 0 shooting experience...now shes shooting clearing her own misfeeds...shes come a long way baby!) Notice the muzzle flip and the stovepipe....but when you put the 1st one dead on like she does here, who needs two ;)
    [ame]http://youtu.be/BPmPohCQzeY[/ame]

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I voted NO!!

I had one, out of 75 rounds I had 1 mags worth of shots
    not malfunction.

Ftf, fte, jams, trigger not reset, mag falling out.

The perticular one I had was garbage.

I now have a flawless XD9 sub compact and Im very happy with it.

Jimmy

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

I am going out on a limb here and going to suggest your limp wristing it.

Wow... I'm sure you didn't know it, but you just called out a well respected trainer and competition shooter for a newbie mistake. :facepalm:

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Alot of people attribute problems with this pf9 to limp wristing.

If thats true and I think it is, that means at the moment of truth,
    when I need to save my ass, the last thing I need to worry about
    is holding my gun exactly perfect, so it wont fail on me.

Bad news.

Jimmy

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Wow... I'm sure you didn't know it, but you just called out a well respected trainer and competition shooter for a newbie mistake. :facepalm:

Not trying to be mean, but that is funny as heck. You must not know Coach.:):

:laugh:

beat me to it.

As i said, "i am going out on a limb". NO i dont know him. These are things that I have found in my experience with MY KelTek...In my experience its a fine little gun (for tactical tupperware) inexpensive and 100% made in america.

If i was gonna call him out i would have said something to the effect of "If your too lazy to send it back and let the factory make it right, you shouldnt bad mouth it" But i didnt. I simply gave my opinion of what i have found with the gun.

I voted NO!!

I had one, out of 75 rounds I had 1 mags worth of shots
    not malfunction.

Ftf, fte, jams, trigger not reset, mag falling out.

The perticular one I had was garbage.

I now have a flawless XD9 sub compact and Im very happy with it.

Jimmy

Not to say the one you had wasnt junk...every manufacturer will have lemon from time to time...but what i have found in my experience with the kel tek is shooter related issues, not gun related.

Trigger reset: you have to let it all the way it, if you dont it will half way reset and you will get a fail to fire/light primer strike. etc

Glad your happy with your XD, i drooled on the xd 45 for years and almost pulled the trigger, but that croatia roll mark kept me from it...i'm prefer Made in America guns :):

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Alot of people attribute problems with this pf9 to limp wristing.

If thats true and I think it is, that means at the moment of truth,
    when I need to save my ass, the last thing I need to worry about
    is holding my gun exactly perfect, so it wont fail on me.

Bad news.

Jimmy

My friend, that is why one MUST practice all the time with the gun they plan to carry...muscle memory....if your used to the gun and its quirks, no worries in the moment of crisis.

I shot the $H!T out of mine before i started carrying it on a consistent basis...again, i STILL prefer my 1911. but that isnt as easily carried as the pf-9.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Another option- carry a gun without "quirks".

Every gun i own has its own set of "quirks". Hell, my 1911 had its fair share of "issues" when i bought it. Arguably one of the finest 1911's on the market from one of the most reputable manufacturers.

It took a few months but my 686 finally got me broke in to the point i could hit with it reliably.

My point being, every gun shoots different and it takes time with each and every one. It takes range time to get it worked out.

There are some guns out there that i believe are trash and i wouldnt trust...but in most cases, i have found, its the one holding the tool thats at fault, not the tool itself.

::edit::to add...hell i have even seen my fair share of infalible Glocks fail for whatever reason(s)

But but but quirks raise post count.

Post count is the ONLY thing that makes one "qualified" to have an intelligent conversation about guns, right?:n00b:

or or or maybe, god forbid, know something about this stuff, eh? Guess i should keep my "unqualified" opinion to myself until my post count rises to sufficiently to meet your standards..THEN i might "know" something? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    I have two and they both work great for me. Have had several friends use mine and they get a stove pipe. I clear it and works fine for me. I put in a new mag. Fire off several rounds no problems. They try it again and stove pipe. Maybe the keltecs have a mind of their own and don't like certain people. :dunno:

Top Bottom