Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF9?

• Total voters

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    and its not the gun I couldn't trust, just the 9mm

LOL!!!

I had those thoughts thanksgiving day.

Went to Detroit for the Lions Texans game. Rolled into town 0800. All the major streets are shut down due to Detroit city marathon and T-day parade. Was forced to park the truck in a "questionable area" (as if there is any other type of area in Detroit:rolleyes:) as we couldnt get to the motel and the secured parking. So I grabbed the to go bag, #2 son and I hiked overland the rest of the way to the motel...the thought crossed my mind that i should have grabbed the 1911 and spare mags out of the safe instead of grabbing the PF-9 off the desk.

After the game (it went into overtime) it was well past dark as i kicked it back thru the mean streets of Detroit. Only NOW there wasnt the heavy police presence or the crush of humanity...only a lone white boy on the dark streets of Detroit with only a meager PF-9 and 8 rounds of critical defense ammo. The thought crossed my mind many, MANY times during that hike that i should have brought the 1911 and spare mags interspersed with the saying "Bring enough gun!" :shoot:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Man I'm glad I read this whole thread! It's got everything from some real butt hurt to nonsense statements that I laughed out loud at causing my wife to ask what my problem was.

Thanks INGO! This is why I keep coming back!

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    The only reason I don't carry mine daily anymore is because of the XDs. The early PF-9s had some issues that were later addressed by Kel-Tec. Mine is a newer production gun (early 2011) and other than a couple of malfunctions in the first 50 rounds or so I've had no issues with it. It is one of the easiest carrying 9mm pistols I've ever seen and accurate enough for what it is. I know some have had bad experiences with them, but mine has been good and I would trust it for self defense.

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    some people seem to hate on the pf-9. i'm not one. i love mine and have had zero problems. oh, and i actually love the trigger too. it goes with me most everywhere.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I owned one for two weeks. Shot the hell out of it with no problems except the pain from too much recoil from the little blaster. Had to go to a larger, heavier gun. (I'm an old guy and the joints are not good) CZ 75, best move I ever made.
    The PF9 is a good belly gun. Would I trust it with my life..In a position where I couldn't miss, yes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would not trust my life to anything from Keltec. No hate just seen some issues with them and I personally do not like their guns. They just feel weird in my hand. Also have issues with anything 9mm for personal protection. I do not want to be shot with even a pellet gun but give me the biggest thing I can throw at a bad guy.
    All that said....I started with a 1911 at 12 yrs. old....nothing else makes me smile...:D

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I've had two pf9's. Both hard chrome. One ran like a raped ape. I'd had 100% trust in it. Picked up another newer style one, it was a complete turd. I sent it in, got it 9 weeks later. 55 bucks to mail it and what I recievered for my cash and time was the same no feeding pos pf9 just with a bunch of finish wear from some jackass with a dremel trying to polish the feed ramp. Long story short, I got away from kel tec and have no plans of going back to them. Though my sub 2k and 1 pf9 was nice, but they found new homes after this

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I used to have a PF9 that was 100% reliable, but I know that's just one guy with one gun. I ended up selling it just because, and I'm thinking of getting one of their new ones that come in colors that'd match clothing a little better. Yes, I'd rather buy a S&W shield, but they are no where to be found and at panic prices, so I figure I'll just have to buy one of those after everything blows over here in a couple months.

Would you be willing to bet your life on a Kel-Tec PF-9 as your primary carry gun? (The assmuption being that you will put at least 200-300 rounds through the gun to ensure it functions properly before carrying it.)

If you really don't have any experience with a PF-9 and would base your vote on just hearsay please don't vote.
    Who cares about reliability? What I want to know is, does this gun clash with my outfit? :rolleyes: :):

mtomaro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    West Lafayette
    Is it going to be 100%? No. But then again, nothing is. Break it in with at least a few hundred rounds. Thoroughly test your carry ammo. No problems? Then you're good to go, just be sure to maintain it.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own a PF9, fired about (300 rounds) of various ammo including Hollow Points. It has never jammed. I did buy it brand new and it is the latest generation. That might make a differance. I would trust my life to it, but admit firing more than 50 maybe 75 rounds at one time, it kind of bites or irritates the back of my finger.

Top Bottom