• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you CC where signs are posted if you feel in some degree of a danger.

• Total voters

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    A bit off topic perhaps, but one thing I've been wondering about concerning "No Guns" signs...

The first gun shop I ever went into was a great little place up in Marion, IN by the name of McDonald's Guns. There wasn't any "No Guns" sign there. Walking in, there were never any less than 3-5 people OC (working at or patronizing the shop), and I felt like it was the safest place I've ever been. Who's going to bust in there and try to rob the place, right? :draw:

A few years ago, however, I moved down to the Plainfield area. Ever since then, every gun shop I've gone to has a large, clearly posted, "NO LOADED GUNS" sign. The shops may have pro-2nd amendment signs and literature once you get inside, but the no loaded weapons policy always threw me. You're adamant that the right to bear arms should never be infringed - except in your shop? :dunno:

It almost makes me want to take the 2 hour drive up to Marion every time I want to make a firearm purchase. He had great prices, but not necessarily 4 hours out of my day + gas money good. :twocents:

I would have a polite talk with the owner about it and ask why it is ok for him to make his business income off the 2nd amendment but it's not ok for you to have your 2nd amendment rights in his place of business. Then i would hand him a "No Guns = No Money" card and walk out. :twocents:

The feedback we have r'cvd in other discussions of this type is that the main reason for a No Loaded Weapons sign in a gun store, is the yahoos that would try to demo a holster with a loaded gun, or try to ask about a problem with their gun while its still loaded, etc..

I have never been asked to disarm in any of my LGSs while OCing..

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    The feedback we have r'cvd in other discussions of this type is that the main reason for a No Loaded Weapons sign in a gun store, is the yahoos that would try to demo a holster with a loaded gun, or try to ask about a problem with their gun while its still loaded, etc..

I have never been asked to disarm in any of my LGSs while OCing..

Good to know... Those signs have traditionally been the only "No Gun" signs I've ever complied with. Both because they're more heavily armed than me, and because I don't want to get banned from all the good guns stores and get relegated to going to Don's... :tantrum:

I figure if anyone's going to notice me printing, it's the proprietors of the local firearm depository.

CADuke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Depends on the location, the likely hood that they will ask me to leave. I give them a no gun no business card. There is a bank here on the south side of Indy that has a metal detector and no gun sign. I want to get a whole bunch of people CC or OC to go in with the intent of opening an account. She what they do when we set it off. You already have to enter one at a time as doors lock while you go through it.

CADuke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If it aint illegal I carry everywhere, thats why I love my S&W bodyguard nice and small to conceal anywhere and will get the job done if that were to arise.
    I just order S&W Model 360 Talo Distributor exclusive, it will be nice having a .357 that small.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't have a problem with patronizing a business that has a no gun sign. Some of you think of it as not respecting your 2A rights. I don't think of it that way at all.

Say some retail business has a posted "no profanity" sign. Does their policy disrespect my 1A rights to free speech? No. It's their house. They are adopting policies they feel promote the environment their patrons want. So if I'm prone to openly displaying much profanity in my everyday speech, and I see this sign on the door, I guess I could turn around and be offended that they don't respect my 1A rights. Or, I can walk in and keep my potty mouth to myself. Same thing with concealing my weapon.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I don't have a problem with patronizing a business that has a no gun sign. Some of you think of it as not respecting your 2A rights. I don't think of it that way at all.

Say some retail business has a posted "no profanity" sign. Does their policy disrespect my 1A rights to free speech? No. It's their house. They are adopting policies they feel promote the environment their patrons want. So if I'm prone to openly displaying much profanity in my everyday speech, and I see this sign on the door, I guess I could turn around and be offended that they don't respect my 1A rights. Or, I can walk in and keep my potty mouth to myself. Same thing with concealing my weapon.
    Would you visit a store that said, "No Blacks, Jews, etc?"

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    when i see a "no handgun" sign, aside from where legally enforced of course, i read "go back to the car and adjust/toss on jacket, etc.....so they don't see it, and go back in

to the casual observer in the parking lot it sure looks like I just decided to jack the place...LOL...wonder how long before the place gets surrounded by cops because someone called in "a robbery in progress"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Would you visit a store that said, "No Blacks, Jews, etc?"

That's not really the same thing. You're assuming that I would be offended by seeing such a sign (which I would), and that the actual offense is the same (which it really isn't).

If I actually saw a "No Blacks" sign, the easiest assumption to make is that it has something to do with racism. And that would be the offensive part.

Most folks who take offense to "No Guns" policies, seem to do so because they feel their own 2A rights are being trampled. I think that's a bit too idealistic. To me a the easiest assumption is that their "No Guns" policy is more of a business decision (albeit misguided) than discrimination. Now if the sign says, "gun owners suck and are not welcome," then I agree with you. I won't be doing business with that place.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Most folks who take offense to "No Guns" policies, seem to do so because they feel their own 2A rights are being trampled...

It is a common but mistaken offense.

The 2A serves only to protect a right (to keep and bear arms) from infringement. It is a restriction rather than an origin of a right.

Property owners may regulate my presence on their property, but they are incapable of legally violating my right to keep or bear arms.

The only authority they have is to make me choose which rights I will waive (or hide) in order to attend their property.
    If I bring a gun, it's not like they get to disarm me, they simply get to make me leave.

Top Bottom