• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I see two aspects to consider. The first BBI covered, namely are your needs/wants changing and is your proposed acquisition a better fit for them than what you'd be giving up?

The second consideration is pure probability. How easy is it to find what you're buying and what you're giving up?

I recently sold my 12-year old Dodge Diesel for an amount you'd never think you could get for a 12-year old truck with a cracked dash and various other Dodge-problems (including paint). Why did I get the price for it? Namely, it is very hard to find a manual transmission 4x4 with under 100k miles in superb mechanical condition. (That and new truck prices are crazy high and pulling up used prices). Buyer paid a massive premium relative to a gas-powered 4x2 with 200k on it.

I sold it because it is a poor fit for my life now, and just couldn't justify keeping it, given the market value. It's a poor commuter vehicle.

Likewise, if I decided that my carry gun was a better fit for HD than my HD gun was for carry, I'd downsize.

That's where I'm at now.

When I first got my handgun, I bought a G20 because I was convinced it was the best option for a HD gun in a bedside safe. I wasn't considering carrying it. Now that I want to carry, I've found my G20 is a little clunky for that role. It turns out that most carry guns are better at HD than HD guns are at carrying. So perhaps it might be a good idea for me to sell my G20 to get a G19 or G27.

So forth.

Top Bottom