• What would you do in this situation?

• Total voters

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Alright, I am going to give a situation that I was in yesterday and tell me if you would have carried or not, and why. Also there is a poll so please vote. After after a few responses I will let you know what I did (this is because I want to see opinions no that I was right or wrong).

You have a dentist appt and an office that is less than 5 miles from you house, more like 1.5 miles or so. The appt is a 7am so you know you will be one of the first ones there. You do not make any stops to the dentist only one on the way home for the Rx they gave you.

While at the Denist they are removing two wisdom teeth. To do this they are giving you the topical gell in the mouth, local anethesia via shots and then Nitrus. No valum is given for this particutail extraction. You know that while under Nitrus you may or may not be in the same state of mind that you normally are. I say may or may not because you have never had nitrus before. Also you feel that the office is in a safe part of town, low crime rate.

Do you carry? Do you keep it in you car? do you leave it at home?

As I said I will post what I did once I get some respones.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    They are just tools. Better to have a tool and not need it than to need it and not have it. I don't think I would take it in with me. Might not work with the chair.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Well, when the give you the anesthesia and nitrous at the dentist, it is to knock you out and prevent you from feeling the brunt of the discomfort (well, actually for wisdom teeth I would assume excruciating pain as they extract them) during the procedure. I would be more worried about being completely incapacitated and not having control over my gun, which could possibly allow it to be taken and used. While that is not a likely scenario, it is possible. I personally would not have carried it into the office of my dentist but to each their own. But, I will say, isn't it against the law to carry while under the influence? That would also be another factor to think of.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    B - Nitrous does not get me all goofy.

:cheers:

If this is the case, I hope you don't have to go through any dental procedures in the future! It will not be too pleasant. While I got my wisdom teeth pulled I was given an IV anesthesia (or it may have been painkillers/some kind of fluids before the procedure, I don't recall and I didn't ask), I know I was also given nitrous to facilitate my being knocked out for the procedure. The times I've been given nitrous at the dentist I have a couple minutes of feeling, well, like laughing, and then I pass out. If your dentist gives you nitrous and doesn't knock you out properly (for procedures that nitrous would be used in) I sure hope he would give you some super duper local anesthesia.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    My 2nd amendment rights cover me while i am at the dentist as well. Like another poster said, its better to have the tool and not need it than need it and not have it... that said i would be EXTRA cautious before i draw or present it... or even OC for that matter after i was leaving given that the fact you were sedated WILL come into play should you have to use the firearm.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    He did not get "knocked out", he drove home so there was no loss of consciousness. Carry your weapon.

Nitrous will temporarily knock you out, maybe for a few minutes unless they have you under constant nitrous. I have been to the dentist and had 4 procedures that I remember they most definitely used nitrous to knock me out. One of those procedures was getting my wisdom teeth pulled where I was completely under for...at least 30 minutes, I am not sure of how long because I was 100% KTFO.

Last edited:

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Ok, to the OP, can we clarify whether you were 100% knocked out via the nitrous?

edit - regardless of whether it was 100% you would have been impaired, which is what I was getting at in my first post.

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    If you had to use it do you think you would make it 5 min in the court room before they claimed you were mentally unable to make a sounds judgment at the time?

Leave it in the car.

:twocents:

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    I just had 2 wisdom teeth removed last week. I carried to and from the appointment. Prior to this appointment i had never had teeth pulled. So not knowing exactly what they were giving me for the pain, I left it in my car during my appointment. I figured in this case discretion was the better part of valor.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Nitrous will temporarily knock you out, maybe for a few minutes unless they have you under constant nitrous. I have been to the dentist and had 4 procedures that I remember they most definitely used nitrous to knock me out. One of those procedures was getting my wisdom teeth pulled where I was completely under for...at least 30 minutes, I am not sure of how long because I was 100% KTFO.

Maybe for you. Not for all. Blanket statements are usually a bad idea. :dunno:
    :patriot:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

Nitrous didn't knock me out, when I had all of my top teeth removed a little over a year ago. Doc used both injectable local, along with the nitrous, and I felt relaxed, but never went to sleep. I didn't carry, because the wife was driving and she was.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    If you had to use it do you think you would make it 5 min in the court room before they claimed you were mentally unable to make a sounds judgment at the time?

Leave it in the car.

:twocents:

If that were the case, what would happen if you got stopped while driving in the same condition.:dunno:

:popcorn:

Top Bottom