• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll always take one "very nice" to 3 "just ok"s.

And I'll take learning how to properly use that one "very nice" over another 3 "just ok"s.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i think this says my vote....

2d0ayiu.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just how decent are the three rifles and the scopes? Savage rifles and Leupold scopes? or NEF rifles and Muellor scopes? If we're talkin' pre-64 Winchester model 70's and leupolds give me three. And I'll definitely take the 3 1911's. I've met very few 1911's I couldn't hit center man at 30' with.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    Well, I have an old mod 1917 in 30-06 that has been sporterized. The thing is beautiful, cut down but using orig military wood and nicely scoped. It shoots great and I only gave $150 for it. That being my fav scoped rifle, I would have to say that I would take it over some "custom" job any day, and one of that last that I will ever part with even if I wanted to.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I'll take an "ok" rifle with a few mods to accurize it, a good scope, an ok 1911 GI clone + training and ammo to use it properly. The best rifle/handgun in the world in the hands of someone with no training is no match to the Mosin or Jennings in the hands of the guy who spent time and money becoming skilled with it. :twocents:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Just how decent are the three rifles and the scopes? Savage rifles and Leupold scopes? or NEF rifles and Muellor scopes? If we're talkin' pre-64 Winchester model 70's and leupolds give me three. And I'll definitely take the 3 1911's. I've met very few 1911's I couldn't hit center man at 30' with.

No pre-64's...calm down. Some Savages, some Remingtons, some Leupolds, some Nikons. I've always wanted a nice "custom" "long range" rifle with top dollar glass but thought I couldn't afford it. Then I looked at what I had that I don't really use just hanging out and I can easily afford it...just weighing options I guess.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I like variety, I have done both, a few stock .22lr rifles, then spent over $800.00 on a 10/22, that isn't really a Ruger anymore. You can have both if patient, good luck on your decision, i think everyone should have at least 1 "really good" gun, and a bunch of fun guns.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I like quality, but there is a limit on it. I would not sacrifice having the right tool for more than one different need in order to trade in 3 for a rifle that would not add to my capability in any of the applications in question. For example, I rather doubt that I will reach the point at which my skill will exceed the limitations of my Remington 700, so why would I be willing to drop it and a couple of others of different profile and use in order to get, say, a custom .308 that duplicates my Remington in profile yet doesn't add to my bottom line results while removing me from accomplishing the purposes for the other two rifles I am sacrificing? If we are talking giving up three mediocre rifles that all more or less duplicate each other in purpose for something really nice that fills that same niche and/or delivers superior performance within my skill level, that may well be different.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    IMO it depends on what kind of firearm I'm looking at. If I was deciding between 3 cheaper ARs or 1 Noveske, id take the 3 cheaper ones in a heartbeat. If I'm talking about a long range bolt gun, id drop all my money on one and have it be the best shooting gun I can afford.

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    well i have had the several centerfire rifles for years and finally went with a barrett 98b .338 with a nightforce scope and prefer the latter but took me years to be able to afford it!!

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    After playing around with Custom Rifles for a while.. I would not want to go back to something factory or a few somethings factory.

As far is glass is concerned... it is in the same boat. Although the cheaper glass may look like it and somewhat act like it.. it still does not truly perform/ last like the best available.

Think of it as buying a car. Would you rather have your dream Hot Rod/ Muscle Car/ whatever it may be... or a completely factory Malibu/ Cobalt/ Focus/ whatever since we are talking Mass Produced Factory stuff. I would think that seems to follow right along with the comparison.

The factory stuff will always have to be modified to somewhat conform to what you want. While something Custom is tailored exactly to what you really want the first time.

The factory stuff is also limited to being modified with what is available for that particular model, where as a custom is not. A custom is exactly what the description says... Custom.

Honestly... how many rifles can you shoot at one time AND accurately hit your target at the same time. I'm not superman unlike some on the internet... I can only use one at a time effectively.

I am in your same boat.... I have not been able to or thought I couldn't get a custom until I looked around at all the stuff I have laying around that cost me money somewhere along the line.

As for the entire deal... if you always do what makes you happy and you will remain happy. :twocents:

Top Bottom