• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kw55018

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Clay City
    Dont know if this goes here, but here it is.
    Your on your way out west to a big long rang and handgun shoot, you have many long guns and a few handguns each locked-up and put away in the toolbox of your pick-up, the ammo is in ammo cans on the floor of the bed. Now you get in a wreck, your ammo is all over the road, toolbox jarred open and gun cases flung everywhere. All are legally owned by you and you was planing on not stoping anywhere in ILL., What happens now?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Your on your way out west to a big long rang and handgun shoot, you have many long guns and a few handguns each locked-up and put away in the toolbox of your pick-up, the ammo is in ammo cans on the floor of the bed. Now you get in a wreck, your ammo is all over the road, toolbox jarred open and gun cases flung everywhere. All are legally owned by you and you was planing on not stoping anywhere in ILL., What happens now?

Got a good lawyer?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Bill is right

Bill is right. From what I have seen and heard over there, Illinois pretty much has a zero tolerance for Indiana citizens bringing guns into their state. You will most likely be charged with a crime and you will need to hire a good defense counsel.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ideally, you're covered under the federal transport clause of the FOPA 1986. How hard you're going to have to fight for it to be recognized is another question.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Riot_control_fire_coespu.jpg

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Excellent Point Fletch

This is a good point. Part of the problem is that you can read the law, ask the cops, go to this web site or that web site, lock your gun in a case, whatever, but in the above described situation, if the LEO who responds decides he has probable cause, then you are going to be spending a lot of money on a lawyer. My solution has just been not to take my gun into Illinois. (And incidently not to spend my money there either.)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    800px-Map_of_USA_with_state_names.svg.png

FYI.. If driving WEST from IN you go SOUTH to KY and then WEST to Missouri and then N/S/W to where you need to go. Be ware STOP before you get to Kalifornia!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    800px-Map_of_USA_with_state_names.svg.png

FYI.. If driving WEST from IN you go SOUTH to KY and then WEST to Missouri and then N/S/W to where you need to go. Be ware STOP before you get to Kalifornia!
    That doesn't work so well if you're in the northern part of the state, especially if you're going somewhere north (WI, ND etc.). While I can understand your advice, it just isn't practical at all. For people in Northern IN it could take up to 7 hours or more just to get to Evansville.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sadly I know CountryBoy. I live in LAKE COUNTY, IN and it only takes me 15 mins to get to the IL state line from where I live. =/ So I know "pracicaly" speaking what I said would make no sence since you are adding 7+ hours to your drive. However it all comes down to risk and the level of risk you want to take.

For example, if you are taking just 1 handgun as are going to say NV th level of risk is low that you will have an accident as the OP stated.

Now bump that up ad say you are taking several handguns, now more risk.

Bump that up to the max say you have what the OP said (10+ handguns, 10+ riffles) and lets also thrown in a machine gun (cause you are going to the annual NV machine gun show). At that level of risk I'm not willing to go into IL for any reason! 7+ extr hours of driving I would be doing.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

The IL cops will probably help you get you guns, ammo, and blaze orange underoos off the highway and send you on your way. I hunt there every year along the MS and IL river bottoms, never met the people you're describing.

Eddie, "From what I have seen and heard over there, Illinois pretty much has a zero tolerance for Indiana citizens bringing guns into their state"

How many times have you met a DNR or LEO from IL while you were carrying a loaded firearm? I have several times, they like hot coffee and a hunting story as much as the next guy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    6birds you are talkig about southern IL which is *NOT* IL. ;) IL is only cook county, IL (aka Chicago). Just like unless you live in San Fran you are *NOT* in CA. You have the OP incident in Cook County, espcially within the City of Chicago and you will be going to jail and the procesture is going to be charging you. King Dally is going to use it as another story of just how dangeruous guns are, and how IN is the problem for all these guns, and how you are endangring the children, etc, etc, etc...

The corruption in Chicago is beyond bad... I see it daily as I work downtown Chicago. :xmad:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    6birds you are talkig about southern IL which is *NOT* IL. ;) IL is only cook county, IL (aka Chicago). Just like unless you live in San Fran you are *NOT* in CA. You have the OP incident in Cook County, espcially within the City of Chicago and you will be going to jail and the procesture is going to be charging you. King Dally is going to use it as another story of just how dangeruous guns are, and how IN is the problem for all these guns, and how you are endangring the children, etc, etc, etc...

The corruption in Chicago is beyond bad... I see it daily as I work downtown Chicago. :xmad:

You see corruption right on the side of the road! What does it look like? (sarcasm font needed here)

And I'm still driving through CHICAGO with 8 guns on Sunday early AM, and returning with a different 6 guns later in the day. If you're driving through and get in auto trouble, every officer I've spoken with has been more than decent. I've never met the Nazi's you claim are waiting under the bridge.

The OP asked what happens. I told him my actual experience with a LEO and DNR inside state lines. I have not heard anyone else with a first-hand story. Every other reply relates to "i think, maybe, heard about, possibly... sounds like a scare tactic, or pure BS.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom