• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Looking for a Shotgun with rifle sights or optics to use for deer hunting this fall. Looking at the cheap end of the price range--strong preference for a Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel or combo barrels. $200 max.

Bloomington area FTF.

EDIT: Ended up with a Handi-Rifle. Thanks to everyone. Thread closed.

Last edited:

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    check out the pawn shops down there. Tons of shotguns. Martinsville also has a good one right off of 67.

Hell, I scored a 10\22 with a $350 scope (weatherby) for $150 last year at the pawn shop off 2nd / college.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not in your budget, and not even a shotgun, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

The Indiana DNR recently revised its regulations and it is now legal to hunt with a rifle in the state of Indiana, IF that rifle is chambered for a short cartridge with a bullet diameter of at least .357 diameter. That said, one of the calibers that is now specifically listed as legal is the 458 Socom. While not common, it is a factory loading and available with multiple bullet weights and bullet styles. The other advantage to this is that the 458 Socom is chambered to the AR15 platform. It uses standard 223/5.56 magazines, but simply single stacks the bullets instead of double stacking them. If you have an AR15 then all you need is a new upper chambered in 458 Socom (check out Rock River Arms). If you are considering an AR15, then consider one chambered in 458 Socom.

I mention this only because many people are not yet aware of the fact that we can now rifle hunt (with limited calibers) here in Indiana.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Good to bring up. Yeah, Unfortunately an AR is not in the budget right now. If I already had an AR I would definately think about buying a new upper for this purpose.

One Indiana-deer-hunting-legal rifle that is (almost) in my price range is an H&R Handi-Rifle in .44 magnum. I'm seriously considering that, as well. Less kick and cheaper ammo...

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom