• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If gas prices are too high ... I don't fill up, I consolidate my errands to cut down on my driving, I cut out discretionary spending, and I'll drive slower with less aggressive accelerations. Pretty much what everyone else should do ... unless you're printing cash in the basement or making your own fuel.

I understand the OP's frustration though. I have passed a gas station on my way to pick up a gallon of milk and driven back ten minutes later only to see the price has increased by $0.28/gallon.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    This has been a pattern for several months in NWI. On Wednesday or Thursday each week, or at the most every 2 weeks gas jumps 35 or more cents per gallon. When I came home yesterday, it was $2.89 at the station I usually use. This morning it was $3.35. This is a day later than the usual pattern. It will slowly drop each day until the cycle starts again. It's like they make punish those who buy late in the week. I now buy on Tuesday of each week.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Paid $2.859 on Wednesday at the local station. Today it is $3.359.

The catch is that if I want to drive instead of walk, ride a horse or my bicycle, I have to pay what is charged at the local pump. I live in an area that to drive even to save 30 cents is not worth it.

On the other hand, I hear people complaining about the price of ammo. Realistically you do not have to go out shooting every night, but if you want to keep your job, most people do have to pay the price of gasoline. Saying no is really not an option.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Paid $2.859 on Wednesday at the local station. Today it is $3.359.

The catch is that if I want to drive instead of walk, ride a horse or my bicycle, I have to pay what is charged at the local pump. I live in an area that to drive even to save 30 cents is not worth it.

On the other hand, I hear people complaining about the price of ammo. Realistically you do not have to go out shooting every night, but if you want to keep your job, most people do have to pay the price of gasoline. Saying no is really not an option.

:wow: that's a big jump. Went from $3.16 to $3.35 here.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    From notalwaysright.com

(This is graduation week for the college that is a couple blocks away, so our rates are higher than they usually are for this week. Our rates are about 30 dollars less than the average rate of next closest hotel to campus.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [hotel]. How can I help you?”

Caller: “Yeah, I would like a room with two beds for May 11th-14th.”

Me: “Sure, that will be $119 plus tax per night.”

Caller: “What?! That’s ridiculous! I stayed there last month, and it was only $79!”

Me: “Well, our rates do fluctuate based on what is going in the area. Supply and demand, you know?”

Caller: “What do you mean?”

Me: “Well, more people want hotel rooms, so the price goes up. That’s how businesses make money.”

Caller: “But you’re a hotel, not a business! I refuse to stay at a place where you jack up the rates to screw people over!” *hangs up*

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I wouldn't blame the gas stations.

NPM_GasStations_10112012.png

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Yeah, but many people don't even think about fuel economy when they buy their daily driver, or if they do at all it is a secondary consideration.

I have a little sympathy for people who bought gas guzzlers when gas was still $1.30 a gallon. I feel for people who have to drive a truck or SUV daily because they actually use them (I run a farm and a timber/lumber business, I have to have a truck), but most people I see *****ing about the prices don't actually NEED to drive a 20mpg vehicle. I convinced my GF who drives 50 miles a day to and from work to sell her 22mpg car that needed work almost every month and buy a newer 38mpg car that hasn't needed work since she bought it and the savings in gas and maintenance alone paid for the vehicle over the last three years.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    And no Bob I don't "have to drive". I drive because I choose too!

Beats the hell out of walking!
    BTW, owning or running a gas station has nothing to do with having the "stones". I'm old enough that I don't NEED to start another career.
    Just curious but what's with the attitude?

Bob

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The price of gasoline is not based primarily on supply and demand. There are two major factors in this. The first is the EPA which requires "boutique blends" of gasoline. Gasoline that has been blended for the Chicago region cannot legally be sold in the Louisville region. Around here (Lake County) you can tell when you have "crossed the line" out of the Chicago gas region as gas is generally $.20 a gallon cheaper than the Chicago market. So if gas in Cook County is 3.50, gas in Lake county, IN, will be a bout 3.30 and as soon as you cross that magic line in LaPorte county it's about 3.00. The difference between Cook County and Lake County is due to taxes.
    The other big factor is that gasoline is traded in the commodities market and (it used to) have very low margins, allowing for very little money to control a lot of gasoline, this creates very high volatility.
    Speculation has more affect on price jumps than supply and demand.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    you wanna cry about gas prices
    what about beer prices?
    when i was a teenager gas was 29 cents and a 12 pack of Red White Blue was $2.89 cold at the carry out
    minimum wage was $1.65 and i was making $2.50 ( i was living high on the hog )

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I blame television stations. Take note the next time you see a segment on the news saying that gas prices have fallen. I would estimate that 90 - 95% of the time, the price for a gallon of gas will jump substantially within 24 to 36 hours. It's like the gas station owners are watching the news and they all decide, "Gas prices are falling? Well we'll just see about THAT!" :): I've also heard that gas stations don't make any money on gas... that it's the items in their store that they make the most profit on. Well to that I say, go ahead and bump the price of a Snickers bar up to 5 bucks! I don't care! I don't NEED a Snickers bar to get to work. :dunno:

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I signed up for txt alerts from meijer and regularly get texts that they expect gas prices to go up later that afternoon. Thereby giving me time to get it, before the jump. I also use gas buddy on my smartphone as I drive for work. It is rare that I can't get at least a $0.10/ gal savings by adjusting my travels to sync up with the cheaper gas (i.e. fill up earlier than usual, and ride out the price jump)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I blame television stations. Take note the next time you see a segment on the news saying that gas prices have fallen. I would estimate that 90 - 95% of the time, the price for a gallon of gas will jump substantially within 24 to 36 hours. It's like the gas station owners are watching the news and they all decide, "Gas prices are falling? Well we'll just see about THAT!" :): I've also heard that gas stations don't make any money on gas... that it's the items in their store that they make the most profit on. Well to that I say, go ahead and bump the price of a Snickers bar up to 5 bucks! I don't care! I don't NEED a Snickers bar to get to work. :dunno:

Most make plenty on gas these days, they didn't use too years ago

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    It's all about speculation. A perceived threat of a disruption drives the price up to account for possible short supply. Of course when the supply isn't disrupted and the profits are already banked they lower the price by double the amount they increased it since no shortage occurred. Kinda like giving it back.....oh wait .....nope that doesn't happen.

Top Bottom