• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sajnaj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    bfe rockville in
    these two pistols were stored improperly for a period of time and suffered some surface rust with some minor pitting. i was able to remove almost all of the defects with a scotch pad and some oil. these firearms will never leave my hands so not so worried about reselling or any thing like that i was reading about doing some cold bluing products the product that i liked the most was oxpho blue. or getting them professionally redone but i don't know how much that will run.

OXPHO-BLUE® CREME - Brownells
    Oxpho-Blue-Creme

my plan was to use a dremel with a buffing wheel to finish the rest of the trouble spots and then attempt to reblue the firearms my major concern is future rust problems if the firearms are not refinished. here are some pics give me some opinions

thanks jason

IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5282.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    IMG_5288.jpg
    IMG_5289.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I think the browning is OK. A little wear and tear is OK if a true WW2 model. If you buff off the edges of the letters and arsenal marks it would lose it WW2 looks. Makes it looks like it has been thrugh a war and it has.

The revolver looks like it needs something done with it. The revolver do with what you like.

I like the depth of a true rust blue. Bigger gunshops that get lots of rust blue calls offer the srevice at what I believe is a value for the finished product. Once they have the system down and get the right stuff it is not that bad to do.

That said I have seen some real good cold blue before and after pictures. I have had less good luck.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    You really need to think twice about bluing that Browning. It will play hell with its value. I know you're not planning to sell it but you won't live forever, and whoever gets it after you will appreciate it. :D

Your Model 28 looks pretty rough. It should appreciate in value since they haven't been made for a good while, but it might be the lesser of two evils to let a good smithy give it a facelift with a pro blue job.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    What the others have said! Please don't do anything with the finish on the Browning. It will ruin the 'value' of the vintage BHP. Just clean, grease/oil and do any spring service it may need.

I would be interested in the BHP if you consider parting with it.

Last edited:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    :eek: NOOOOOOOO!!! Step away from the dremel tool!!! Don't try to refinish that high-power! As far as the S&W goes, you could do alright with refinishing it. I don't think I'd use a cold blue for it though. I've done complete guns before, but you won't get anywhere near as deep or dark as the factory blue. You may contact S&W and see what they can do for it. It seems I've heard good stories about sending old guns into them for refinishing.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I will agree that the hi power looks perfect the way it is. I don't see any nazi proofs on it, that would have definitely stopped any refinishing. Does it have a slot on the back for a stock?

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've used SW service department and they are great at re-finishing old handguns. They'll also do a timing, head space, check, etc. and make repairs before they start the process. They buff out the rust and dip the guns to original metal. Then, they do the factory blue. It'll look great (like new) when you get it back. Call first and get return authorization and shipping materials for UPS delivery. You paid inbound postage they pay to ship it back. 2 to 3 hundred range depending on its condition. They'll call with an estimate before they start work. Don't get in a hurry. It will take several weeks due to booking backlog. If you're concerned about selling to a hardcore collector, then don't re-finish. But, frankly, I did it for the same reason a guy would spend 50,000 to re-furbish a 1962 Chevy.I love the finish product.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yeah, that Browning looks pretty sweet just the way it is, and if you want to refinish either of those, I think that you would be much happier with having a professional do the work on such fine pistols.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a 4" Mod 29 I'd like to send back to S&W for a safety check and refinish. I've seen their work and it is really top notch. The Browning is up to you. For collectors value you should leave it the way it is but I've refinished several guns like that b/c I just couldn't stand them looking the way they did. They are my guns and I'm not trying to pass them off as original to anybody. A finely finished HP to me is one of the best and most attractive guns ever produced. IMO YMMV

Top Bottom