• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My son has this fascination with WW2 weapons. Recently he spotted a Sten Mark 2, Then a Mark 3. I found a few de-milled parts kits. I have been looking at indianapolisordnance.com for the semi auto conversions. Sounds like a fun father son project.

Anyone done one? Any comments? It's going to be a fun project and my hopes aren't to make a tack driver. Just a fun shooter.

Hopefully Indianapolis Ordnance will have the auto kit back in stock soon. I have a mill and the equipment to do it corrctly.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I've never built one of his kits or built one, but I've bought some parts from Indy ordnance for my Sten. He is a really nice guy and the stuff he builds is high quality. Give him a call I wouldn't be surprised if he has a kit hiding around his shop.

It would be a fun project I'm sure, but I don't know how much fun it would be to shoot a semi auto one. I've never been able to shoulder mine worth a darn. It
    s great from the hip though!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Centerfire has kits, and I haven't heard anything bad about Indianapolis Ordnance semi-auto items. I'm planning on using their conversion parts for a Lanchester build whenever I track down a parts kit.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Centerfire has kits, and I haven't heard anything bad about Indianapolis Ordnance semi-auto items. I'm planning on using their conversion parts for a Lanchester build whenever I track down a parts kit.

I did not fine kits on his sight (center fire) I will wait till Indy has them back. I have enough demilled kits to do a Mark II, III and a big chunk of a Mark V. I need a few peices. Great long term projects for me and the boy.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have a semi-auto Mark III that I bought pre-built and It's really fun to shoot and my girl friend loves it because of the low recoil. It looks a bit odd with the barrel extension (too impatient to wait on a stamp for a SBR). I really want to build or have built one of the Mark V kits that Apex has so if you end up building one let me know how it was lol. Also if you wanting to get into Stens Centerfiresystems has 20rd mags for $5 apiece if you buy 20. I ordered 40 of them a month or two ago and way actually very impressed with the quality.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I did not fine kits on his sight (center fire) I will wait till Indy has them back. I have enough demilled kits to do a Mark II, III and a big chunk of a Mark V. I need a few peices. Great long term projects for me and the boy.
    D'oh Tula47 is right. The kits are at Apex, not Centerfire. I get the two mixed up all the time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the tips. I just ordered everything but the barrel for the Mark V. so I have pretty much everything for a Mark 2,3 and 5 less the semi auto parts. I talked to Indy and it looks like 4-6 weeks. They should make a great winter projects for me and my boy!

I forgive ya bog! lol

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a semi-auto Mark III that I bought pre-built and It's really fun to shoot and my girl friend loves it because of the low recoil. It looks a bit odd with the barrel extension (too impatient to wait on a stamp for a SBR). I really want to build or have built one of the Mark V kits that Apex has so if you end up building one let me know how it was lol. Also if you wanting to get into Stens Centerfiresystems has 20rd mags for $5 apiece if you buy 20. I ordered 40 of them a month or two ago and way actually very impressed with the quality.

I thing you could have built it as a pistol with the pistol grip but I thing the grip would have to be welded to the receiver? I need to check on that. I will probably go the short barreled route at some point. I think pinning the extension would be legal. it would make the conversion to SBR cheaper/ faster. once again more legal issues to check!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a kit and an Indy ordinance tube sitting around! Due to being married and buying a house recently I'm broke, but would LOVE to build mine. If anyone wants to build I'd be there! Having never seen one up close, I hate to just start pounding away at it. I would love to have someone that's done one look over my shoulder.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a kit and an Indy ordinance tube sitting around! Due to being married and buying a house recently I'm broke, but would LOVE to build mine. If anyone wants to build I'd be there! Having never seen one up close, I hate to just start pounding away at it. I would love to have someone that's done one look over my shoulder.

Where are you located? When I do mine you are welcome to be there. I have a mill and a mig welder and all I need to get is the riveter. I have 3 demilled kits. by the time I am done I should be pretty good at it LOL. You could build yours here if you like.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I JUST moved to Kokomo, however my in-laws are from South Bend, so I tend to make it up there quite a bit. I would love to have someone tell me if i'm screwing something up! haha. Keep me posted on how soon you plan to start. I will start hoarding money to buy the remaining pieces I need.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I JUST moved to Kokomo, however my in-laws are from South Bend, so I tend to make it up there quite a bit. I would love to have someone tell me if i'm screwing something up! haha. Keep me posted on how soon you plan to start. I will start hoarding money to buy the remaining pieces I need.

I will let you know. It will be a bit before the conversion kits are back in stock.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I feel dumb for not buying a conversion kit when they were available. Oh well. Maybe now i can pick up another sten ..... :) i only have the t-stock one right now, probably could justify the loop stock kit somehow. Do you remember how much sten kits were going for a few months ago? Probably not a bad investment to just sit on for a while.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I feel dumb for not buying a conversion kit when they were available. Oh well. Maybe now i can pick up another sten ..... :) i only have the t-stock one right now, probably could justify the loop stock kit somehow. Do you remember how much sten kits were going for a few months ago? Probably not a bad investment to just sit on for a while.

The prices p f the kits are all over the place. 200-300 bucks seem to be the norm for a pretty complete demilled kit that is buildable. I have seen 500 to 600 dollar kits but I don't think they are selling. Atleast not to me! The 40 to 50 dollar kit days are gone . Investing in one is not a bad ideal if you hope to build one in the future.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    A few years ago I got my kit when they were 50$ or so and I looked a second one a few months ago and I found em for like 600 like you said. Apex recently got some cheaper ones in. I'm hoping they stay in stock for a while!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Years ago, I had a friend that was building everything. I was able to try out his sten in full auto. Man was it sweet. I liked the MP-40 better, :laugh:, but the MG-34 was the best.:ar15:We all pretended like we were Rambo.:rockwoot:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am kind of torn between the semi auto kits. My gut says wait till Indy has them in stock again. People seem to be having great luck with them. There are a few others that make them but the best reports are from Indy.

Then to decide which gun to build first. The Mark 2 is the one that seems like the easiest.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I haven't read recently on other builds, but I tend to agree that Indy kits seem to be top notch. I have read up on several builds years ago on weaponeer and weapons guild and the like. I have a Mk3, and with any luck will try and buy an mk5 kit. I think I can slip one in the house without the wife knowing. In my head I think that military rifles need a piece of wood attached to them somewhere, so I'd really like to make the mk5 happen. I've been sitting on my current kit for years so I'm not in any big hurry to build. A little more waiting shouldn't kill me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom