• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I haven't seen any .44 Mag WWB on the shelf for several months. I've not looked all that hard, but there's none to be had at any of the usual places.
    I did a search just now and only found it at MidwayUSA for something like 47 cents per round plus shipping. Ammo cost is getting out of hand.
    I've seen just a little .44 ammo for sale here and there, but it seems like the manufacturers have sidelined .44 production temporarily.
    I have some onhand, but was looking to pickup a little more before deer season.
    I suppose I'll keep looking and hopefully they'll make some more before this Fall.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I haven't seen any .44 Mag WWB on the shelf for several months. I've not looked all that hard, but there's none to be had at any of the usual places.
    I did a search just now and only found it at MidwayUSA for something like 47 cents per round plus shipping. Ammo cost is getting out of hand.
    I've seen just a little .44 ammo for sale here and there, but it seems like the manufacturers have sidelined .44 production temporarily.
    I suppose I'll keep looking and hopefully they'll make some more before this Fall.

I have a couple boxes of WWB I bought before the craziness at wally world. 50rds for a hair over $40 after tax. ($37.98 before tax or so) I would say that price is a steal.
    People are paying 20 cents or more just for used .44 mag brass right now! Me included.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The Vincennes Walmart probably has some from time to time but I rarely go there. I suppose I need to check there more often.
    I didn't realize brass was going for that much. I have quite a bit of it but little (no) time to reload these days. I may have to start making time for it though. I enjoy reloading.
    And I may break down and buy a couple of boxes of .44 from Midway too.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    If you would consider Magtech 44 mag ammo and have a Rural King nearby you might check there. I've been seeing Magtech 44Mag 240gr JSP for $32 or so both at RK stores and at an LGS or two in my area .

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My local Meijer had at least half a dozen boxes today. At forty a pop I left them there. I will hand load from now on looks like.

Wish I could find some .22's I am sitting on the few thousand I have. Not going to shoot until I can for sure replace them at reasonable cost. Heck I bet I can reload the .44 mag cheaper than .22.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    They are the cci mini mags of the 44 mag rounds. If you rifle does not shoot or feed them thEn it is the rifle not the ammo.

I have around 4 boxes marked at 32.59 each in my 44 stash ammo can. I do hand load now for the round but my stuff does not give me a max spread of 24 FPS for 5 rounds. I need to work a bit on getting my spread smaller. So an increase of less than 8 dollars a box in these trying times is not gouging much. Lead and copper have gone up in price.

Don't worry much as I have seen it in the local store and MEGA-LOW-Mart.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    My rifle doesn't seem to like Magtech ammo. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. At any rate our Rural King hasn't had any Magtech either. Vincennes has been a dry well for .44 Magnum ammo.
    For some reason I had a bit of trouble with their website, but I did order two 50 round boxes of WWB from Midway for $108 total....... Unreal.
    I really need to get my reloading equipment set up again.
    Thanks for the input guys.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Get online, bass and bucks website, located in wabash, he had some when I put gun on layaway July 3rd, had other brands too. Lots of Hornady 240 gr XTP

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With lots of rifles 44 mag ammo needs to be sized correctly to the bore. Marlin rifles are near famous or infamous for having oversized bores. Mag tech is .428 and I believe WWB is .431 or .430. If it is a marlin don't waste any money on wolf gold ammo at Bradis or other gun stores. It was cheap but would not hold a basketball sized group at 40 yards.

When all else fails slug the bore and the. Use calipers to measure the OD of the bullet in question and see if it is the correct size.
    Handguns have a forcing cone so it does not come into play as much as with the rifles.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    With lots of rifles 44 mag ammo needs to be sized correctly to the bore. Marlin rifles are near famous or infamous for having oversized bores. Mag tech is .428 and I believe WWB is .431 or .430. If it is a marlin don't waste any money on wolf gold ammo at Bradis or other gun stores. It was cheap but would not hold a basketball sized group at 40 yards.

When all else fails slug the bore and the. Use calipers to measure the OD of the bullet in question and see if it is the correct size.
    Handguns have a forcing cone so it does not come into play as much as with the rifles.

I didn't realize Magtech was undersize compared to WWB. That may or may not be at least partly why my 77/44 doesn't group well with it. I haven't slugged the bore so I don't know where I stand there.
    And Magtech was not at all accurate in my S&W 686. Not that I'm a crackshot handgunner.

Several years ago I tired of always shooting full-house .44 Mag loads (handgun only then), and worked up some good cast bullet loads that were milder. And also some pretty strong loads with hard-cast Keith bullets.
    That led to acquiring a bunch of .44 Special brass to load cast bullets.
    If I remember correctly my Super Blackhawk was shooting high with the Special loads, and I ran out of elevation adjustment before getting POA to match POI.
    I was already close to being bottomed out on elevation with some .44 Mag loads. The milder loads.
    It's a 7-1/2" barrel and I think it was the front sight blade from a 5-1/2" gun that I installed to correct the elevation adjustment issue.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

Not sure where you are located but, I saw some (at least 8 boxes of 50rds )WWB at Noblesville Meijer yesterday for $40 and change. It was the ONLY ammo they had besides shotty and rifle ammo which has been there for EVER.

Top Bottom