• linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    WWII Nose Art on a M1 .30 Carbine ~ in progress

Hey team,
    I just thought I would share my latest project with you guys and I’m also looking for your advise too..;)

Basically I’m painting up the infamous “M1 Carbine” in a WWII nose art fashion /look.

YES, I know!.. I went against all of the “Gun Gods” and painted the 1 firearm that no one else has. I have decided to do this for the following reason.

This is how (I) wish to honor some of the greatest warriors that have come before us and I am confident enough in my skills that I will absolutely nail this project, if I wasn’t, then I wouldn’t have attempted it. I have that much respect for the Carbine and everything it once stood for and what it stands for today. (Freedom and Sacrifice) Let us never forget the greatest generation ever!.. Good bless our troops!.. :patriot:

Here’s a little history on this particular carbine: if you’re curious. :popcorn:
    It’s a Universal / # 5739x ~1965/66 I think
    It has the following GI parts (trigger assembly, slide with solid handle, bolt, etc,etc)..

So with that said, lets begin.. :D

I dismantled the M1 as far as I dare go, then I sprayed everything down with Duracoat’s Truestrip Cleaner / Degreaser. This stuff works GREAT for what it worth.

After degreasing all of the parts, everything was lightly sanded with 400 gr paper, then washed off with just water and thoroughly dried.

At this point I sprayed everything down with two light coats of Bulldog, BD is an Adhesive promoter and never let me down..

After waiting for the BD to dry (15 min) I started on my initial base coat and covered everything in an Urban Mirage White. It’s really more of a storm cloud look, IMO anyway.. now that I’ve got everything dry I’m putting her back together so I can continue on with the base colors.

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9540.jpg

Sanded and clean, ready for paint

IMG_9549.jpg

After the first 2 coats of Bulldog and ready for the base color

IMG_9551.jpg

IMG_9553.jpg

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010

IMG_9555.jpg

Now it time to tape up lower portion of the rifle and add the reaming base coat. I actually ended up mixing (or trying to) a 1946 WWII green, personnaly I’m kina liking it.

IMG_9556.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

IMG_9565.jpg

Hanging out to dry for 24 hrs,

IMG_9567.jpg

Ok, so here’s what we have so far, the bodies base coat complete and it’s time to start on the nose art.

IMG_9568.jpg

IMG_9569.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I’m really feeling a “Semper Fi” theme on the other side;

imagesCA7SPDZG.jpg

imagesCAVHH0TE.jpg

imagesCANBDV1W.jpg

imagesCA6BNK26.jpg

Well that’s all I got team, so far at least.. I’m hoping to have this side complete by Friday so I can start on the side and next week..

Thank you for your time everyone and have a great one

Link

Last edited:

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I concur. Ditch the Air Corp theme on this one and go ground-pounder or armored division (Hell On Wheels would be cool).

EC-70795.jpg

I mean, how many B-17s were equipped with carbines?

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo

I'm digging these two.

But Zoomie does have a point...maybe celebrating the queen of the battlefield, or going with armor, would be an even better way to honor those great warriors since it was those men that would have relied on the M1 for their lives.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    How about a classic that was destroyed within weeks of being painted. This was put on a KC 135 (air to air refueling) that was headed for the sand...as soon as it arrived it was ordered painted out.

octane.jpg

or if the Army gets a vote some classic Nam 1st Cav nose art...

nose_art.jpg

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Damm… You guys are good..:ingo: I was struggling with the “feel of it”.. When I really sat down and thought about It, it’s just too me at least it really represents the USMC.. Rough and ready.. I’m actually re-thinking / reviewing pic..

IMG_9567.jpg

I’m thinking about going back and painting it up in one solid color and really working it over a USMC WWII nose art theme..

I doooo really, really appreciate the nose art pic’s that have been posted up.. Thank you..

This one is *****en, I’ll be using this one on something..

nose_art.jpg

I concur. Ditch the Air Corp theme on this one and go ground-pounder or armored division (Hell On Wheels would be cool).
    I mean, how many B-17s were equipped with carbines?

Agreed.. and pont well taken actually.. thank you.. I’m going to look into those divisions

Thank you..

These two are my favorite! Keep us posted on your progress. I’m sure it will be awesome as usual.

thanks for the input MB.. I will post updates as soon as I know what I'm doing hahaha.. I'm thinking USMC look.. eitehr way sir it should be cool..

Dude I LOVE your art!

Thank you for the kind words.. I really like to hear that.. :D

Anyway.. I’m sorry team, I really don't have an update for the team, other than I’m kinda looking for "Conformation" that the USMC theme is the right thing to do.. :patriot:

Thank you again for your time team, and have a great one

Link.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    Link:

Do a search on Army and Marine infantry unit insignia during WW2. There were many colorful examples.

Maybe do a search on units based in your area, and make it more personal, or, if you had a relative who served in a combat unit, find out what his insignia was.

US%20Patches_0006h.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Since you said the Carbine is a Universal, around 1965, I would vote for a Nam look on it an not a WWII one on this one....You can can always pick up a WWII Carbine an do that sometime.....

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Hey team, first and foremost thank you all for the comments above and my deepest apologies for not responding sooner.. I got laid off from my job and.. Well I had more important things to do at time.. I’m sure you all understand..

Anyway / So time marches on and I finally finished up my M1 Car.. It turned out ok.. but unfortunately not great and nothing I’m really too exciting about other than of course its different. My biggest problem was that I couldn’t do WWII art, the Marines don't have any, so I was extremely limited to what I could find. Which means I’ll probably end up repainting it in about a year or so.. Oooo well…

I finished up the dog and it turned out pretty cool

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

I still have some touch up left, but you get the general idea.

IMG_0762.jpg

Top Bottom