• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Looking for a review comparing these two inside a room / hallway. x300 is 170 lumens and the TLR-1 LED is 300. I like the rock solid surefire but why pay more when I can get more light output for a cheaper price. I will be using it on a handgun only and inside a home. I have other lights for outside work. I searched youtube and the web but no luck. If this as already been covered here please let me know where.

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    I have an X300 and a TLR1S. I don't have any pics but I've had them both out side by side at night to compare and I'll not spend the extra coin on another X300.

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    THANKS for the advice. Leaning towards the TLR. However, Number9xd - sine you own both, what is your opinion on the switch durability and the easy of mounting and removal of each?

Number9xd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Ky
    THANKS for the advice. Leaning towards the TLR. However, Number9xd - sine you own both, what is your opinion on the switch durability and the easy of mounting and removal of each?

Honestly, I haven't ran through any classes and put either to "hard" use, but they both mount about the same to me in terms of mounting solid - mounted on my Glock. Actually, I have the X300 on a Glock17 and the TLR on an AR15.

The switch activation on both are fine, I may like the X300 a little better in that aspect, but not enough so to make me spend the extra money on another one.

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Purchased a streamlight TRL-1 two weeks ago. However, after traveling to a friends house and comparing it to the x300 I sold the TRL-1 and ordered the x300. Main reason is from just handling both I could tell the x300 was a better built unit. I'm not a engineer but the complete package of the x300 is what I want on my handgun when I find trouble in the darkness. I have another buddy who purchased the streamlight TLR-1s so when I can I will compare both and write my findings.

Reno_Morris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Purchased a streamlight TRL-1 two weeks ago. However, after traveling to a friends house and comparing it to the x300 I sold the TRL-1 and ordered the x300. Main reason is from just handling both I could tell the x300 was a better built unit. I'm not a engineer but the complete package of the x300 is what I want on my handgun when I find trouble in the darkness. I have another buddy who purchased the streamlight TLR-1s so when I can I will compare both and write my findings.

I went the opposite direction. I compared both and went with the tlr1s instead of the x300 ultra. The x300 "looked" better but I didn't like the fact that it was plastic where it attached to the weapon and also didn't care for the switch. It was very stiff and didn't have a positive click when turned on. The switch was also smaller and not as quick to find and activate.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I've owned the TLR-1, TLR-1 HL, and X300U. I've used the older X300 but haven't carried one for any length of time. I had no use for the strobe function on the TLR-1S, so I never picked one up. I prefer the mounting system on the the Surefire lights because it's quicker and easier to get on and off, and it doesn't apply much side-to-side pressure on the frame. As far as activation switches are concerned, the option of a straight forward press that "bumps" the Surefire into momentary makes it hands-down better for me. I don't want to be screwing around with toggling the switch up or down if I don't have to and if I'm using it in a home-defense situation, I'm probably not going to toggle it on and leave it there, so the feel of the switch isn't very important to me.

I was disappointed with the pattern and consistency of light dispersion on the TLR-1 HL. It had a weird, geometrical pattern to the lit area that left significantly darker spots in four areas around the perimeter.

Inside my house, which has light-colored walls, the lumen difference between the TLR-1, Inforce APL, TLR-1 HL, and X300U was noticeable , but the X300U and TLR-1 HL didn't instantly blind me with light wash from the walls. If anything, I liked the fact that the extra light gave me more ability to quickly illuminate a room by washing the light across the floor without having to sweep the room directly with the beam.

My personal order of preference is: X300U, APL, X300, TLR-1 HL, TLR-1.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I like the tlr-1 lights. The surefire is longer and a lot more expensive. For me as just a average guy who's not fighting a war or keeping the streets safe, the TLR-1 is all I will ever need , and even if I did need to toss it around it will handle it just fine.
    i also have a TLR-1 that I bought the preasure pad switch kit for at USDS in greenwood, on a AR. I love it!
    So the tlr lights run at or under $100. The preasure pad switch and the adapter will run just under $100. So for the regular tlr-1 I have mounted on a pistol (bump in the night gun), and the tlr-1 with preasure switch on the AR, I'm still under what the surefire light would have cost me. 1 light.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of surefire and used them overseas and at home as a regular guy (and still do), an their no hassle customer service and no questions warranty are top notch, but I don't believe they are the best option for every application nor every budget.
    you won't go wrong buying a surefire, but neither will you if you buy a streamlight tlr-1.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    I've owned the TLR-1, TLR-1 HL, and X300U. I've used the older X300 but haven't carried one for any length of time. I had no use for the strobe function on the TLR-1S, so I never picked one up. I prefer the mounting system on the the Surefire lights because it's quicker and easier to get on and off, and it doesn't apply much side-to-side pressure on the frame. As far as activation switches are concerned, the option of a straight forward press that "bumps" the Surefire into momentary makes it hands-down better for me. I don't want to be screwing around with toggling the switch up or down if I don't have to and if I'm using it in a home-defense situation, I'm probably not going to toggle it on and leave it there, so the feel of the switch isn't very important to me.

I share the above opinion. I like the mount and the switch of the Surefire much better than the Streamlights. But for the extra money, it should be better.

Here's my summary:

Surefire x300 U: Made in the USA, better switch function, better mounting system, better optics, lower fail rate than Streamlight, about $100 more

Steeamlight TRL-1 HL: Assembled in the USA (milled and sourced elsewhere), mount is good I like the quick release of the SF better, optics are not perfect but every day guys won't notice, still more than enough light than what you'd need, great night stand light, higher fail rate than SF but still a really low fail rate as far as lights go.

Both companies are great to deal with if you end up having any issues.

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    I spoke with 3 different law enforcement agencies where I live and all use the streamlight. 2 of the 3 issue the streamlight to their road and SWAT officers. None use the surefire. Of the few issues encountered with the streamlight TLR-1 all were quickly resolved without any trouble. Customer service / warranty was great and replacement parts arrived quickly. Not that this means the x300 is not a good light but for the money the TLR-1 is hard to beat!!

Top Bottom