Hamilton County
    189119_10151401897862237_615057471_n.jpg

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son will be devastated to learn about the new x box. He was so looking forward to it. It trades games so much I don't know what he have at any one time.
    I also won't pay that much for a game console.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    No way would I put money into this. I have a PS3 that is for nothing more than Blu-ray anymore. I haven't played a game on it in almost a year.

I'll stick with my pc. Better mods, better controls, better graphics. Why limit yourself by buying a console, especially this Xbone thing.

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    May go to PS4.

Otherwise, sticking with my 360 until MS starts thinking straight.

NOTE: For the "Older" gamers here, Join OFC(over Forty Clan). Game with people closer to your age and avoid having the reputation of your mother being degraded by 12 year olds.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Anonymous Xbox engineer explains DRM and Microsoft's Xbox One intentions - Neowin

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not sure if I'll get either of them.

If they bring the price point down to $40 for new games (downloads), it would be hard for PS4 to compete with that and remain financially competitive if they stay with the disc. From the get go, XBOX ONE is at a disadvantage. In two years, who knows. I would imagine PS4 will adopt a similar policy based on the success (or failure) of what M$ is doing.

Newer used games sell for 40+ at gamestop, so the only part of the market they may miss is the $10 three year old games. I'm sure their prices would drop accordingly for these games since it will be download based and no new costs are really being incurred.

Yes it sucks for people who trade games, but if the costs are reduced overall, I'm sure people will come out close to even. I haven't seen anyone mention the potential price reduction on games since no real raw materials will be used. Not using packaging and discs should save a ton of labor and material expenses for the developers. Unless they become greedy and continue to charge the same amount.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Anonymous Xbox engineer explains DRM and Microsoft's Xbox One intentions - Neowin

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not sure if I'll get either of them.

If they bring the price point down to $40 for new games (downloads), it would be hard for PS4 to compete with that and remain financially competitive if they stay with the disc. From the get go, XBOX ONE is at a disadvantage. In two years, who knows. I would imagine PS4 will adopt a similar policy based on the success (or failure) of what M$ is doing.

Newer used games sell for 40+ at gamestop, so the only part of the market they may miss is the $10 three year old games. I'm sure their prices would drop accordingly for these games since it will be download based and no new costs are really being incurred.

Yes it sucks for people who trade games, but if the costs are reduced overall, I'm sure people will come out close to even. I haven't seen anyone mention the potential price reduction on games since no real raw materials will be used. Not using packaging and discs should save a ton of labor and material expenses for the developers. Unless they become greedy and continue to charge the same amount.
    I've never understood this. Direct dl costs the same as a hard copy of the game. There is no way that a network infrastructure costs as much to maintain as the cost of packaging, media and shipping. Yet the cost of both is the same. I'll stick with pc. Steam sales for older games are ridiculously cheap. Just last week Rome Total War was $1. I have the patience to wait.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I've never understood this. Direct dl costs the same as a hard copy of the game. There is no way that a network infrastructure costs as much to maintain as the cost of packaging, media and shipping. Yet the cost of both is the same. I'll stick with pc. Steam sales for older games are ridiculously cheap. Just last week Rome Total War was $1. I have the patience to wait.

Which I think is the overall goal of XBOX one, to do what steam is doing, but in the console world.

They want to take the ridiculous profits from Gamestop on used games (and horse **** trade in value) and pass them back onto the publishers with reduced pricing on older games (while taking their own cut). Hopefully the publishers pass this onto the end user since they should be generating more revenue overall. It would be interesting to see a P&L comparison of producing 1,000,000 copies of a game, and selling for a reduced downloaded version. If it comes to even at $60 for new and $40 for virtual copies, it seems like it would be a win win, since they should sell more virtual copies due to the lower price point (lower price, higher demand).

Also, with downloads they have unlimited amounts they can sell, where as producing hard copies take an educated guess and hope you don't way over produce. Sitting on a ton of inventory that is only decreasing in value is not a good thing. I bet each publisher has a team of people who project sales in order to produce the correct amount, with virtual copies, these jobs (and salaries) will no longer be needed.

Xbox is creating a publisher/developer's dream. Hopefully they jump on board and help them out.

Top Bottom