• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    Went to the Indy 1500 this weekend with the specific intent of figuring out what I want for a Carry gun. I wanted to narrow it down by holding a bunch and seeing what felt most comfortable in my hand. Also, I wanted to stay above a .22 or 9mm. After spending the day handling as many as I could, I believe Ive narrowed it down to the XD40 or the PK380. This is based really on a feel alone so I wanted to get everyones opinions on which is better... or a similar pistol I should try and get ahold of.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    The .380 is below a 9mm. And if you like the size of the PK380, you can find a 9mm in a similar or slightly larger frame size. The XD 40 is a nice gun. Did you get to hold any Glocks or S&W M&Ps? There are lots of options, depending on your budget.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Went to the Indy 1500 this weekend with the specific intent of figuring out what I want for a Carry gun. I wanted to narrow it down by holding a bunch and seeing what felt most comfortable in my hand. Also, I wanted to stay above a .22 or 9mm. After spending the day handling as many as I could, I believe Ive narrowed it down to the XD40 or the PK380. This is based really on a feel alone so I wanted to get everyones opinions on which is better... or a similar pistol I should try and get ahold of.

The answer is quite simple, really. To fit within the highlighted criteria, you must choose the XD .40 as the .380, being the same essential diameter as the 9mm, is a smaller casing, carrying less charge and thus less muzzle energy.

The .40 however is a hot little load. Not as hot at the 10mm, but still, it carries almost, if not the same, amount of powder in the cartridge as a .45 ACP.

I would suggest you go to a reputable range (not Don's) that rents handguns and try as many as you like. I hear this is a very nice one in the Lafeyette area, though I've never visited.

I own an XD(m) in .40 and it's my chosen EDC. My GF has a PK380, which works great for her as she is small framed with diminished hand strength due to carpul tunnel. I enjoy shooting both, but the better choice for me is the .40. For her it's the .380 for reasons stated above. A handgun is a tool and as such, is most effective if it is the tool most suited to it's user.

And, I'd like to wish you a belated :welcome: to INGO.....I'm sure there will be others, who are far more qualified and knowledgeble, who will come along and offer you advice.

SgtBaker_21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I carry the XD40 as my EDC, and I absolutely love it. It's a little chunky, but I'm a big guy so it suits me well. I looked at the PK380 since I love to plink around with my P22, but I was looking for something with a little more bang & I like shooting .40cal. Also, depending on your budget, you might want to consider the cost of ammo as well.

I'm looking forward to picking up a Glock G19 personally, but I think I'll wait until the media hype fades. As many have said, try to get a few shots with as many guns as you can and pick what feels best to you.

As previously stated, Applied Ballistics Systems in Lafayette is a great place and they have several guns to rent for cheap.

Good luck in your pursuit!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    As stated ...You need to try them out , get what you are most comfortable with and what you can hit a target with .
    You can carry the biggest gun made but if you can't hit a target with it then you might as well not carry at all .

It far better to hit them between the eyes with a .22 LR than miss them with a .44 magnum ...:ingo:

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    My bad not not knowing a 9mm is bigger than a .380.... My handgun knowledge is limited but Im looking to improve it. Im an excellent shot (.22, 9mm, and .45) thanks to the Army. I guess what I was really getting at is whether or not one of these pistols is more reliable than the other.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unless a person has limited strength in their hands, avoid the PK380. Good shooting little guns but not up to more serious uses. It sounds as though you like a handgun with a slimmer grip. The XD is good. Other choices might be a S&W MP or Gen 4 Glock with the small backstraps. Also consider a Walther P99. Ergonomics would be similar to the PK380.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    My opinion is that you need to research more. You said you want something above a .22 or 9mm. If you mean muzzle energy, a .380 isn't close. Also, you are comparing apples and oranges. A good .380 has around 200 ft/lbs of force and a good 40 has around 600 ft/lbs of force.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Two very different platforms and rounds. Kind of comparing a VW bug to a Chevy silverado. Depends on what your looking for. For SD the .40 is a better round, for small conceal carry the .380 would pack a little easier and be better for folks who cannot handle larger rounds. Both are fun guns and work well in their niche. I would opt for the heavier .40 given my druthers.

eddbrowne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    [FONT=&quot]A 40 is too much in power and size for her.
    A PK380 has some issues, but it shoots, and has a 'long' barrel.
    SIG 230/232 are good for 380 carry. And I like the Taurus 738 size/weight.

A carry 9 or 40 is tough for some to operate if they have weak hands.
    If she wants a 9 or 40, be sure she tries shooting one, and with one hand.
    These can often jam if not held firmly; particularly the Glocks.
    The 40 is really for leo; it's a cannon.[/FONT]

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    [FONT=&quot]A 40 is too much in power and size for her.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A PK380 has some issues, but it shoots, and has a 'long' barrel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]SIG 230/232 are good for 380 carry. And I like the Taurus 738 size/weight.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A carry 9 or 40 is tough for some to operate if they have weak hands.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If she wants a 9 or 40, be sure she tries shooting one, and with one hand.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]These can often jam if not held firmly; particularly the Glocks.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The 40 is really for leo; it's a cannon.[/FONT]

The 10mm was developed for LEO/Milspec etc......the .40 is a cooled down version (somewhat) because the 10mm proved to be a little too hot.:D

Oh, and not trying to be an A$$, but unless you know the lady in question, you shouldn't dismiss the .40 for her. Sounds a bit chauvenistic, dude. Ex: A friend of my finance's came over to shoot for her first time. We started her with a P22, then PK380. She liked them both, but wanted to try my .40 and .45. She ended up sending about 150 rounds downrange with my XD(m) .40 that day and wants me to take her looking for one of her own. Now, the kicker......she's 4'3" tall with smallish hands.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    [FONT=&quot]Yes, presumptuous; but the odds were good.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]And Summer carry changes things.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Even if she can shoot a 9 or 40 with one had, without cycle jams,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]concealment, summer, and a large pistol don't mesh well.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My weakling wife could not get a sig 9 to cycle right, even two-handed,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]but her PK380, with it's flaws, works one-handed and loosely-held.[/FONT]

Who say's a 9mm or .40 have to be "large"... There are plenty of .40's and 9's that can easily be concealed in the summer. For example, a Kahr pm40, pm9, kel tec pf9, the new ruger lc9, the rohrbaugh r9... want me to keep going? Also, like sgtschil said, you're sounding a little demeaning toward women. I'm assuming you're being sarcastic? maybe... but either way remember that tone of voice can't be heard over a computer screen.

eddbrowne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    "Unless a person has limited strength in their hands, avoid the PK380"

That's why my wife has a PK380; it's the easiest 380 for her to operate.
    And few women want to deal with a 9x19 at 20oz and under 6.5" long,
    and under 1.2" wide.
    Even glocks have a serious problem with recoil jams using a one-hand grip.

I wish the 9x18 CZ-82 was lighter, with a locking breech, and the ammo was cheaper.

HogDaddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    s indy
    Which one do you like better? The .40 is the number 1 police caliber there is. You state you were in the army (thank you for your service) and know how to shoot, you can handle the .40. No matter what brand or caliber you decide on be proficient with it!!!!!

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    380 ammo costs just as much as 40 ammo. Cheaper than dirt catalog for this month has boxs of 50 american eagle 380 for 16.79$ right next to Winchester Ranger 40s&w for 19.79$ box of 50 on the cover. My motto is get the most bang for your buck! Have you looked at the Walther PPS in 40?

Top Bottom