• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I am interested in your thoughts on the 45 xds as a PD weapon. Is this a gun that will hold up to regular trips to the range as well as being comfortable to carry?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It is EXTREMELY comfortable to carry. I had about 200-300 rounds through mine before the recall, and now another ~300 rounds without any problem.

I did find it was picky about hollowpoints, certain shapes did not feed reliably in mine. Ball ammo feeds dead reliably. I may again try some of the hollowpoints that gave me problems when I first bought it now that the gun is getting broken in a little.

It's become my favorite gun for when I have to be more discreet with my primary weapon.

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks. I will be interested to hear how your new trials go now that the weapon is broke in. In the past I had a Colt Gov 45 that did not like hollow points till I had shot about 500 rounds.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    My XDs is a great gun. It's very easy to carry. It's very accurate and fun to shoot. Considering it's a .45ACP there is a good amount of kick but a good grip makes the recoil very controllable. I have never had any issues with my XDs. No failure to fire, no FTE's nothing. Other people have has with my pistol but it was not my gun.

I would trust my son's life with my XDs.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I just picked up a post-recall XDs in 9mm. Figured I would give it a shot since Glock refuses to give me what I want and my wife took my Shield last year.

I love everything about it so far, except for the post-recall 8-9# trigger pull. It's gritty to the wall and feels like it takes a ton of pressure to break.

I put around a 100 rounds of WWB downrange this weekend and 2 mags of my carry ammo, Horndady Critical Defense.

It feed the WWB flawlessly, but hung up on the hollowpoints when I first racked the slide. It cycled them all while shooting though.

I received an XDs post-recall spring kit from Powder River Precision, in hopes to make it better.

I'll finish the install tonight and do some dry-firing and get back out and shoot it more this weekend.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I put down 2 sub 2" 5 round groups with my first 10 rounds through my friends xds9. Astounding accuracy at 7yds for a 3.3" barrel, I thought.

IndyT0m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I am interested in your thoughts on the 45 xds as a PD weapon. Is this a gun that will hold up to regular trips to the range as well as being comfortable to carry?

I think the XDs is a great carry gun just not in a 45. Others I am sure will disagree but in a smaller compact/pocket Pistol the 45 is a bit awkward. It's less capacity yet a tad heavier. Sure it can be done and
    a lot of people have but others would agree that there are more comfortable easier to carry guns out there. One person even said that he has the XDs 45 but most of the time he carries his Shield.
    Remember bigger (caliber) isn't always better. That is one reason Springfield listened to their customers and came out with their XDs 9mm.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I have the 9, but the size is the same. I've owned two XD pistols and not one failure
    in either.
    The trigger may have been slightly heavier after getting it back but it seems to get better.
    It did not effect my shooting in a negative way whatsoever.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have an XDs in .45 ACP and I find it to be an excellent firearm. It's great for CC due to it's extraordinarily compact size. I also find it to be very enjoyable and accurate shooting at the range. I'm not sure how they combined the compact size with comfortable shooting but it works.

Mine was pre-recall and other than the few weeks I was without it, I have no complaints. Some have complained their trigger was no good after the recall but I've not noticed any such issue.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I put down 2 sub 2" 5 round groups with my first 10 rounds through my friends xds9. Astounding accuracy at 7yds for a 3.3" barrel, I thought.

I was plinking our Bobcat Steel 66% IPSC target from 40 yards while my son was shooting his 10/22. Pretty solid pocket pistol, IMHO.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I carry the XDS 45 and have no problems. I am not a small guy and it hides really well. It gets shot every time I go out to the range. Has not let me down yet, but I feel safer being confident in my shooting abilities with it. Though about picking up a 9mm xds for the wife.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Love my xds .45. Had a shield, sold it and got the xds. Couldn't be happier.

I also highly recommend white hat holsters for and awesome iwb for these size handguns. They're flat out awesome.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've had mine for about a year. Sent it back in for the recall even though I didn't really believe it needed to go. It has been a fine Personal Defense gun before and after the recall. Lots of folks with smaller or more tender hands prefer the 9mm version but I love mine in .45. Carry it with 6 and 2, 7 rd spare mags. The only ftf was when I let a newb shoot it one day at the range and he managed to limp wrist one round. It does need a firm grip.

Top Bottom