• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Dillon XL 650 Primer Pocket Swager Uni Former re Size 223 308 9mm 45 Brass | eBay

I bought one just to try it out. If this works like many are reporting I won't have to upgrade to a 1050 like I was considering. It apparently needs no modification to the press to fit. Takes about 15 minutes to set up. I will report back after I test it out.

***Update***

OK guys, I have run it and can say that it does work. It does not remove near as much of the crimp as the Super swage, but they prime just the same. I don't think that the aftermarket shellplate he sells is necessary either. There isn't that much for pushing up on it. I did a quick google search again before writing a review, and someone on calguns has already done a quick one . Since my experience has been the same I will just give you the link.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12118460

I also want to say that I agree with the comments of the seller in the thread. After running it, there really is no way, that I can see, to damage the press. I just don't see it happening. I was skeptical at first but I do feel 100% confident with this unit not damaging my press. It is just like using the priming station. You get the feel for things and can tell when something isn't right. If I ever do break something b/c of this I'm not going to try and have dillon replace it.

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Looks interesting.
    I've had many ideas to do this bouncing around in my head the last few years, just never taken the time....

RipkinC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Indy
    My main problem would be damaged to the shells rims and the shell plate because on a 1050 you have a fully supported case when it swages. On the 6150 it would be completely reliant on the shellplate and case rim to hold the case while swaging. not to say it wont work, but for how long...

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    At least you can use a case feeder. I bet that alone doubles your output compared to swage systems that require manually feeding the machine.

You would have to cycle the press awefully fast to compete with the speed of the Dillon Super Swage. It's super easy to operate and is capable of swaging primer pockets at a rate of 1000/hr or more, especially with some of the mods people have been doing to them...

Not knocking this setup because it will greatly depend on what you want to do and how you process brass, but speed & operator fatigue along the Super Swage probably still has this beat...

Disclaimer: I don't own one of these for the 650 so this is an educated guess based upon imagining how fast I could operate this on a 650 with the case feeder...

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    If it works, it should cut process time in half.

With the super swage I currently have, I run brass through the press to de-cap, size, and trim. I then have to handle the brass again on the super swage. It works fine for small batches, but running several thousand would be a tall order, almost impossible to do at one time without getting tired.

If this thing works, you can run all of that in one step.

I will let you know how it works out.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    You would have to cycle the press awefully fast to compete with the speed of the Dillon Super Swage. It's super easy to operate and is capable of swaging primer pockets at a rate of 1000/hr or more, especially with some of the mods people have been doing to them...

Not knocking this setup because it will greatly depend on what you want to do and how you process brass, but speed & operator fatigue along the Super Swage probably still has this beat...

Disclaimer: I don't own one of these for the 650 so this is an educated guess based upon imagining how fast I could operate this on a 650 with the case feeder...

This setup would let you size, decap, swage, and trim in less time than you could do the Super Swage 600. The only thing that would slow you down is having to lube your cases and refill the casefeeder.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    looks like it replaces the primer seater. its hard to tell how it keeps from putting pressure on the shell plate unless it actually does.

It is mechanically impossible for this setup to not put pressure on the shellplate. Since the shellplate is the only thing holding the brass in place, the shellplate will see a percentage of any pressure required to swage the primer pocket.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This setup would let you size, decap, swage, and trim in less time than you could do the Super Swage 600. The only thing that would slow you down is having to lube your cases and refill the casefeeder.

I guess I didn't fully explain my post... if your only purpose is to swage, the Super Swage has got to be faster than this even factoring the case feeder I can chuck my super swage along at a rate much faster than I can run the 650...

That being said, if you read my post I did specify that it will depend on what you want to do and how you process brass. This would certainly speed things up by a large margin if you are wanting to size, decap, swage, trim all at once...

My post was only in respect to the speed of swaging on a 650 vs swaging on the super swage... performing multiple operations on the 650 to include swaging is absolutely going to be faster... swaging only will be faster done on the Super Swage... right tool for the right job sort of thing...

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Absolutely. If a person was looking for something better than the super swage, this would not be the tool. The only possible benefit that this aftermarket swager could bring over the super swage is the ability to combine the operations of sizing, decapping, trimming, and swaging into one pull of the handle. I don't think this would save much time if you ran the brass through the press only to swage.

Due to the concerns of putting extra pressure on the shellplate, I went ahead and ordered the seller's tool steel shellplate.

Top Bottom