• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    So today I got in the long-awaited night sight set for the Springfield SA-35 from XS sights.

This is a three dot set. The front sight is a tritium insert with a day glow green donut around it, the rear sight is a Novak style sight with a u-notch and two tritium inserts one on each side of the notch. I did not install the rear sight because I am a tritium front sight and a plain rear sight shooter.

There has been much talk on the internet on how hard it is to get the front sight off of a SA-35. The reason is it's held by red Loctite. So you need to use a heat gun to get it nice and hot to break the bond and then it you can use a non-marring brass punch and it will easily drive out. Installing the XS front sight is easy as well.

First test and see how far the front sight will slide into the dovetail. If it goes up to a third of the way in with ease then you can drive it in the rest of the way with your brass punch. If it does not, take some 250 grit sandpaper and slowly began to slide the bottom of the dovetail over the sandpaper, removing a little bit at a time and test fitting it into the dovetail until it slides in a third of the way.

After you get it lined up equal on both sides of the dovetail, clean the area around the dovetail with some acetone on a cotton swab and then use the supplied tube of red Loctite and apply it to both ends of the dovetail of the front sight. Let it dry and then use a cotton swab with some acetone to remove the excess.

The original front sight
    20230620_101912.jpg

20230620_101915.jpg

The new front sight installed.

20230620_101956.jpg

20230620_102008.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Range report- everything's dead on. So I'm going to leave the OEM rear sight on
    Heck yeah. Why dink up something that works? Enjoy your new shooter. I want one but can't part with the bucks right now. Maybe I need to sell one of my striker fired pistols?

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Heck yeah. Why dink up something that works? Enjoy your new shooter. I want one but can't part with the bucks right now. Maybe I need to sell one of my striker fired pistols?
    I have an original 1985 BHP sitting in the gun safe. Shoots great I've shot it quite a bit. But I don't want to wear it out. Put any undue wear on it. So I was lucky to get this here in the classifieds last year. It was an early one with the infamous extraction problems.

After having failure problems with a Browning High Power Solutions extractor - which was supposed to be the best ones on the market- I tried the cylinder and slide extractor. A night and day difference. No issues so far that is related to the extractor. I've had a few 9mm cases that have exceeded its reloading life that I probably should not have used that ended up having the rim so worn that it dropped the extractor but with quality brass that isn't worn out I've gone through almost 2500 rounds with no issues. Today was another day at the range with about 300 rounds through it with no issues. It's accurate and I'm not putting any wear on my BHP. If I can find another one I would send it off and have it two-toned.

If you get a chance to buy one, buy it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have an original 1985 BHP sitting in the gun safe. Shoots great I've shot it quite a bit. But I don't want to wear it out. Put any undue wear on it. So I was lucky to get this here in the classifieds last year. It was an early one with the infamous extraction problems.

After having failure problems with a Browning High Power Solutions extractor - which was supposed to be the best ones on the market- I tried the cylinder and slide extractor. A night and day difference. No issues so far that is related to the extractor. I've had a few 9mm cases that have exceeded its reloading life that I probably should not have used that ended up having the rim so worn that it dropped the extractor but with quality brass that isn't worn out I've gone through almost 2500 rounds with no issues. Today was another day at the range with about 300 rounds through it with no issues. It's accurate and I'm not putting any wear on my BHP. If I can find another one I would send it off and have it two-toned.

If you get a chance to buy one, buy it.
    I will do so esp with stellar reviews on INGO like yours. I think my G17 Gen 5 is going to be sold on here.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I don't believe they will because these are marketed specifically for the Springfield. Apparently they have a different dovetail than the original High powers
    Thanks I have an original that has been sitting in the safe too long. From what I can tell it’s a late 60’s model with the original marking on it. It’s a black slide and kind of a stainless appearance frame.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Thanks I have an original that has been sitting in the safe too long. From what I can tell it’s a late 60’s model with the original marking on it. It’s a black slide and kind of a stainless appearance frame.
    I’ll give you tree fiddy for it.

Top Bottom