• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazyCracker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2014
    Scott County
    Anyone have any comparison? Going to buy one of two soon for my Springfield Champion just not sure which one? It looks that the XSsights would be faster at close range but the cocking ledge on those Triji's looks amazing for one handed manipulation. Both are about equal in price but the XS looks to be a little more conceal carry friendly? Just looking for some real world experience if anyone has any with either of these two.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

Thanks,
    CC

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    BY FAR, the Trijicons are the better choice. The XS costs you a ton of accuracy at longer distances. It's like taping a golf ball to the end of your slide. Is it faster? Yes...at distances you should be point shooting at anyway. I put them on a CZ and it ruined the gun for me.

The Trijicon HDs are what's on the P220 in my holster right now. It doesn't cost you nearly as much accuracy, is very fast at all distances, and they hold up fine for one handed manipulation. Trijicons or Heinie Straight 8s are my favorite aftermarket sights, Trijicon to weight the ratio toward speed, Heinie toward accuracy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    BY FAR, the Trijicons are the better choice. The XS costs you a ton of accuracy at longer distances. It's like taping a golf ball to the end of your slide. Is it faster? Yes...at distances you should be point shooting at anyway. I put them on a CZ and it ruined the gun for me.

The Trijicon HDs are what's on the P220 in my holster right now. It doesn't cost you nearly as much accuracy, is very fast at all distances, and they hold up fine for one handed manipulation. Trijicons or Heinie Straight 8s are my favorite aftermarket sights, Trijicon to weight the ratio toward speed, Heinie toward accuracy.

This pretty much sums it up.

I've shot with both, and have the XS sights on my EDC. They are great for combat accuracy at about 15 yards or closer.

If you care about accuracy at all the Trijicons are better. I'd probably go with those. They would probably work and look better on your Springfield.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have used both.

I have big dots on my subcompact xd and they are very quick and great for close up work. I found them to be "fussy" at distances of 25 yards or so (each time I went shooting, I took me a bit to find the right sight picture to deliver hits at that distance).

When I switched to carrying a Glock 19, I got big dots on it and shot it quite a bit. Again, I found them to be very quick close up and it took a little "feeling around" at distances greater than 15 or so yards, I had to relearn the sight picture for distance every time I went to the range. I will say that not long after I had the big dots put on my glock, the rear sight went dim. It was right before the INDY NRA convention and when I mentioned it to the guys working the booth, they gave me a contact and they sent me new rear sight, no questions asked. So, +1 XS customer service!

After 1,000 - 1500 rounds with the big dots I swapped them for Trijicon HD's. I was starting to shoot some competitive pistol type things and was not comfortable with some of the longer shots. The HD's are also very quick up close (I put the big orange front dot on the target and bang him) and I find them to be much easier to use at distance than the big dots (When i can take my time, I shoot HD's like regular block and notch sights and ignore the dots).

I recently took Tactical Response's "fighting pistol" and found the HD's to be excellent for hooking onto this or that to rack the slide one handed. I noticed some of my classmates having trouble getting their sights to catch onto anything. The HD's are great for that. Also, I don't feel like I really gave up any speed going with the hd's over the big dots but I did gain at least confidence in longer shots with the hd's.

To be clear, I am not much of a pistol shooter, but based on my limited experience, I would rather have big dots than no night sights, and have left them on my xd and have kept the ones from my glock 19 in case someone needs night sights, but I would rather have HD's hands down over big dots.

PS: You mentioned the big dots being more CC friendly. If your rear sights rest against your body (no undershirt or holster sweatguard between you and it), the HD's might take a bite out of you every now and then. So far it has been nothing too extreme, but sometimes I am reminded they are there.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'll throw in for the Trijicons, but I'm a 'Trijicon Guy' like that. Have them on every gun I own, for which they're available.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Anyone have any comparison? Going to buy one of two soon for my Springfield Champion just not sure which one? It looks that the XSsights would be faster at close range but the cocking ledge on those Triji's looks amazing for one handed manipulation. Both are about equal in price but the XS looks to be a little more conceal carry friendly? Just looking for some real world experience if anyone has any with either of these two.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8208

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

Thanks,
    CC

I can't help with the marksmanship aspect, as I am sure I know less than all of the other posters here, but something that hasn't been pointed out yet is that, although the HD sights might have a smaller dot, they come in blazing surrounding colors. I have the orange on my PPQ and my VP9 and the yellow on my Glock 30s. In reasonably lit conditions those colors, especially orange just scream out to your eyes and it's easy to pick them up. I think the will offset any difference in size.

I find the orange to attract my eye better than the yellow by a bit. I shot with the sun to my back the other day and I felt like the orange was maybe even too bright if that is possible.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    You can send your slide straight to Trijicon. They turned mine quickly, about 2 weeks with shipping.
    You can also buy HDs from a LGS and they are likely able to push them on with a small, or no added charge.

I can't agree more with the above landslide of opinions.

Last edited:

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I also vote for the HDs. But be warned, I tried to have a set of them put on my Champion Operator, and Springfield has their own propreitary dimensions for Novak style sight bases. I was on the phone with them this morning about it, you can send your slide in and they will somehow acquire HDs that fit and do the whole thing for $175 including the cost of the sights. Not too bad of a price overall, considering that the sights are around $150 from most retailers. I'm just trying to decide whether or not I want to part with the cash.

I'd recommend giving them a call, I've had to call their customer service people twice in the past week or so and they've been nothing but helpful.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    For springfield the normal springfield xd trijicon HD sights will fit your dovetails.

With that said we can do them here at ZX but i think you are a good distance from us.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I shot with my Trijicon HD set up on my P220 today out to 70 yards. At 70 the front dot covers the entire target, I went 0/8. With Sig factory sights on my P229 I went 11/12. Ruger GP100 Match Champion, 5/6. That's all free hand at 70 yards at an IDPA size steel target. Wednesday I did the same thing with the Glock 22 and hit 3/3 bracing off of a car and then 11/12 freehand. Obviously I can hit at that distance, but the Trijicon is just too big for that distance. This is like complaining a jet ski won't pull your barge. It's not what it's designed to do, and excels at up close work. Out of 35y or so its fine. After that I start to have more issues with it than factory sights. The Big dots I had issues at maybe 15y and out. The HD's will cover the vast vast vast majority of defensive shooting distances.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I agree BBI, I don't think there is really any difference in the front sight between the XS and HD's but one is just colored and I like it more... I have had the same experience as you as far as stretching out the distances and sights go.

Top Bottom