• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I am wanting to start reloading 45 colt and have really liked Xtreme copper plated bullets for 45 acp, so I thought about buying Xtreme 255gr FP copper plated bullets for 45 colt loads. I have some red dot powder, which I have heard is somewhat of a popular powder for 45 Colt so I am going to give that a shot. I will mainly be shooting these out of a Uberti Cattleman, and from a Marlin 1894 cowboy on occasion.

I am curious what others' experiences have been with Xtreme 255 gr bullets. Good, bad, things to be aware of?

Suggestions for alternative bullets or powders are welcome.

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We've had a few customers try them out, but we haven't received any feedback on those particular bullets.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I haven't used that exact bullet but wouldn't hesitate on anything from extreme. I've liked everything I've tried from them. Order by tomorrow and you get free shipping also

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Thanks guys. I may just go ahead and order them and let you know what I think. I still have to get dies and run through my factory 45 colt rounds first (don't feel like ordering brass when I'll have plenty after shooting my factory ammo).

Are most people just not using plated or jacketed bullets for 45 Colt?

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I love Xtreme Plated bullets but have shied away from the 255 gr bullets due to the popularity of the 250 gr and amount of load data in my manuals for 250 gr bullets. SnS and others have coated 250 gr bullets...but I would love if someone has some great load data for 255 gr to share. I'd pick some up when I need more(just bought 240 250 gr bullets at the 1500...that'll last me until next fall with what I have loaded already)

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I love Xtreme Plated bullets but have shied away from the 255 gr bullets due to the popularity of the 250 gr and amount of load data in my manuals for 250 gr bullets. SnS and others have coated 250 gr bullets.

Interesting. I had not considered coated bullets. I know I am probably not a real 45 Colt enthusiast for not wanting to use lead bullets and wanting to try copper plated. However, coated intrigues me. I imagine they are clean shooting similar to plated and FMJ bullets?

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Even the lead isn't that dirty, no reason to shy away from it. But Coated/Plated look better I guess? I've used Xtreme plenty, they work just fine..

If you want to see dirty look up how to use a compressed load of Pyrodex behind them... It's a great smoke show, hell of a kick without about the same velocity as your red dot loads.. But be ready to clean after :)

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Even the lead isn't that dirty, no reason to shy away from it. But Coated/Plated look better I guess? I've used Xtreme plenty, they work just fine..

If you want to see dirty look up how to use a compressed load of Pyrodex behind them... It's a great smoke show, hell of a kick without about the same velocity as your red dot loads.. But be ready to clean after :)

I mi want to try some black powder loads sometime. I like coated as you don't have lube smoke(I g to indoor range sometimes) and mess when loading. If anyone is considering plated bullets for CAS be careful. Don't think some are allowed.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I hijacked a different thread and the topic was getting very close to this one so I figured I would bring my next question to this thread.

Because I am new to reloading ammo that will be shot out of a revolver, I have recently learned the importance of roll crimping the bullets. I know these 255 gr extreme bullets have a cannelure for crimping. However, since it is a copper plated bullet, won't the roll crimp cut into the plating (the cannelure is obviously plated the same as the rest of the bullet)? I thought it was bad for the case mouth to cut into the plating.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks guys. I may just go ahead and order them and let you know what I think. I still have to get dies and run through my factory 45 colt rounds first (don't feel like ordering brass when I'll have plenty after shooting my factory ammo).

Are most people just not using plated or jacketed bullets for 45 Colt?

I just use 230 gr so I don't have to keep two types of bullets in stock. I use the same for .45 ACP and .45 Colt for range ammo.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I ordered some 250gr bayou coated bullets for now and plan on ordering the 255gr Xtreme copper plated as well to compare the two out of my Uberti.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    As in a slight roll crimp? Or do you still taper crimp? I am really just trying to figure out if it is recommended to roll crimp into the cannelure on the copper plated bullet

Heavy crimp, is needed, to keep the bullet from "backing" out, and jamming the gun.....

ie, lots of recoil, lots of crimp..... LIGHT recoil, not so much crimp.....

Top Bottom