• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Does anyone know where I can take a bunch or branches from some pine trees I'm about to cut down? I plan on keeping the logs for the fire pit, but the branches are a pain in the butt to get rid of.

Somewhere in the Mishawaka, SB, St.Joe county area?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    #1 - burn 'em
    #2 - get a neighbor to burn 'em
    #3 - if in town (and you can't or shouldn't burn 'em), the town may have a service
    #4 - Does GreenCycle take pine branches? I know they take hardwood for making mulch.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does St. Joseph County not have a county composting site?

We have 2 in Porter County and they will take all manner of natural yard waste.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I have cut down smaller ones and it takes forever to burn all of the branches. I am getting ready to cut down 5 + very large, 50ish feet tall and do not have the time to burn all of it. Not to mention all of the smoke that it gives off burning all the green stuff. I live in the county but it's in a sub division. So I want to be somewhat nice to my neighbors.

Thanks for the link Brian Ski. That's exactly what I was looking for. I did not know that place existed.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Looks like they charge, but take a load in a see how bad they dog you. The green burns well... but green or brown it will smoke like crazy for a while.

Just a heads up... Goop hand cleaner seems to be the best stuff for cleaning up the sticky pine sap. My saw was so crapped up from the sap after taking down a few 80'+ trees the trigger was stuck. Took a little time but cleaned it up like new. I just kept the crappy gloves on and smeared the stuff on everything. It even cleaned the gloves.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    All due respect.. I'm sure you have this covered but make sure you use a screen on that pit. Pine pops a lot when burning. Embers can fly everywhere. No need for a grass fire, or worse. Can you mix it up with some hardwood too? Might help to control the embers a little.

Top Bottom