• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Just out of curiosity, what company made your 1911. All these things you are mentioning doesn't sound like a Rock Island gun, but it's not a totally tricked out gun from Kimber. All these posts about generic 1911 issues are great, but some manufacturers have different issues right out of the box. Most triggers are awful and the slide to frame maybe rattling to ultra tight depending who it's from.

Check out Youtube videos. They can be some of the best info on a gun that you can look for besides weapon specific forums.

I have a Colt Series 70. It's old, it's not pretty, but it's a Colt. It can't run a full box of 50 without a failure, but I still love the gun. Something you might encounter with a 1911.
    No, it's a Wilson combat cqb elite. I think the tight initial tolerances might have contributed a little to my one stoppage. I notice the gun becomes significantly easier to rack when I add a drop of oil on the barrel hood, I think it's called.... there was a lot of buildup on it when I had my failure.

DarrenL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    East-Central
    If you're anywhere near Muncie I can give you some o-rings. Congrats on the wilson, they are great guns, you will learn the platform and love it! Those mags are great too.

darren

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    There is nothing like shooting a 1911....Sure they're heavy, they don't hold 20 rounds of ammo and some may say they are just out dated but I think they are awesome!!!!!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    There is nothing like shooting a 1911....Sure they're heavy, they don't hold 20 rounds of ammo and some may say they are just out dated but I think they are awesome!!!!!

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe I wasted so much of my time shooting anything else! Just kidding,.... kinda. I have always loved 45, but polymer 45 pistols are too hard to shoot well for a person of my skill level. I am a much, much better shot with my PPQ and now my VP9. BUT, now that I have this 1911, the gap closed significantly! I can shoot pretty well, on my personal progression scale, in comparison to my 9mm polymer pistols. Way better than my HK 45. When considering 9mm vs 45, I'm back to arguing with myself about capacity vs massivity! Granted, one would say, get even better with 9mm and forget it, but I plan on progressing in skill regardless. We'll see. The 1911 is a lot more fun to shoot than my polymer pistols for sure.

One obstacle I encountered was that this thing is damn heavy! It's thin enough to be concealable, but I didn't own a belt capable of comfortably supporting it in my holster. To shoot at the range I had to use two belts. Even then it wasn't comfortable. If I tightened it enough to hold it securely, I felt like my legs were getting numb. I guess I need a formal carry belt that is wider in order to not strangle my legs and stiffer to resist twisting. That's my current quest anyway. Still in the research phase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Belts? Yes you need a belt! Go with a 1.5" width, double thick dedicated gun belt. I really like my belts from The BeltMan. Other leather companies also sell belts. You might even consider a belt with a plastic stiffener between the layers of leather. My belts do not have the stiffener. For a holster I would recommend the Wilson Combat LoProfile, Mitch Rosen, or Milt Sparks. I prefer to carry my 5" guns outside the waistband and simply use a cover garment.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    One obstacle I encountered was that this thing is damn heavy! It's thin enough to be concealable, but I didn't own a belt capable of comfortably supporting it in my holster. To shoot at the range I had to use two belts. Even then it wasn't comfortable. If I tightened it enough to hold it securely, I felt like my legs were getting numb. I guess I need a formal carry belt that is wider in order to not strangle my legs and stiffer to resist twisting. That's my current quest anyway. Still in the research phase.

I fought buying a dedicated gun belt for years. Once I did I won't even wear any other belt even when not wearing a gun and holster. I love gun belts.
    I have to admit it makes carrying a full size 1911 way more comfortable. Get the good belt. You'll thank yourself time and again.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I couldn't agree more. I can't believe I wasted so much of my time shooting anything else! Just kidding,.... kinda. I have always loved 45, but polymer 45 pistols are too hard to shoot well for a person of my skill level. I am a much, much better shot with my PPQ and now my VP9. BUT, now that I have this 1911, the gap closed significantly! I can shoot pretty well, on my personal progression scale, in comparison to my 9mm polymer pistols. Way better than my HK 45. When considering 9mm vs 45, I'm back to arguing with myself about capacity vs massivity! Granted, one would say, get even better with 9mm and forget it, but I plan on progressing in skill regardless. We'll see. The 1911 is a lot more fun to shoot than my polymer pistols for sure.

I feel the same way, I love shooting 45acp! I shot 9mm polys to start out and really enjoyed them, but after picking up my first (second and third) 1911, I've had a long run of not wanting to shoot anything but 45. Now that I finally picked up a CZ 75B, I've finally found a 9mm that I enjoy shooting again. I'm thinking of selling all of my poly guns except for my G19. I like the steel guns I guess. That said, I still prefer shooting 45.

Another option for a good belt is the Daltech line:

https://www.daltechforce.com/

I have the Daltech Biobelt and like it a lot. I believe they give an INGO discount, but I don't recall how to get it...

Top Bottom