• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We had an inconsistent set of gusts and swirling wind at the PW Shoot later in the afternoon. I estimated around 10-15 mph blowing left-to-right mainly and then it would drop 5-6 mph. From looking at the ballistics, the 150 gr bullets I was zeroing the rifle with can blow around 3/4" off the POA at 100 yds with a 10 mph wind. Still, even with the wind, blowing everything to the right of center, it got all 5 shots within 7/8" even with 1 flyer. Here is a scanned image with construction paper in the back to highlight the holes:

Rem700Target.jpg

The scope took a little of my DNA when I threw the bolt forward, but otherwise, it was an absolute pleasure!

I think it is one of the most accurate 308 bolt guns I have fired and certainly more accurate than the shooter was. A flea's ass is definitely in trouble when this Remmy is in town.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    The gentleman that tweaked it for me figures with a more powerful piece of glass holding 6-10" groups shouldn't be a problem. :eek: at a 1000yds.

I am going to sit my but at a bench here real soon see if I can get those sub .05 groups I really believe it will shoot.

I will take my spotting scope this time and find a peaceful range, and play Enya to keep me calm! ;)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've shot with Larry, had him do some work and watched him work in his shop. He is a very nice guy and has helped me out on more than one occasion.

Nice looking rifle. Be careful on the 1000yd range, if you catch that bug you'll find that little else compares to smacking steel at a grand. You'll end up hunched over your reloading bench paying very specific attention to things you once thought insignificant.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I've shot with Larry, had him do some work and watched him work in his shop. He is a very nice guy and has helped me out on more than one occasion.

Nice looking rifle. Be careful on the 1000yd range, if you catch that bug you'll find that little else compares to smacking steel at a grand. You'll end up hunched over your reloading bench paying very specific attention to things you once thought insignificant.

I'm not needing another addiction that is for sure. I used top spend hours over the bench years ago weighing brass and bullets and separating them into lots, Cleaning, trimming etc..

This go round I think I'm going to stick to factory ammo find what it shoots best and record settings as well for other types of ammo.

I want to get some training and some pointers and put a solid package together that I can rely on for a rainy day.

I would like to get it out and shoot between 50-600 yds, realistically these are the ranges I have worked well with using iron sights in the past.

Shooting with glass is something Ive only done here and there over the years and never in the sense that you gentlemen do,
    Ive coyote hunted and punched a bunch of paper but never really spent alot of time with a glassed rifles in field conditions. (aside from Hunting)

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I would love to hear a break down on your journey getting it put together. Sounds like you spend a good amount of time on it. Any tips for those that might be working toward a similar goal?

Top Bottom