• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    So, I've seen a few different Taurus pistols recently that are have colored frames. This struck me as maybe a bit of a bad idea. I know this isn't necessarily a new thing, but how do cops know the difference when they see a brightly colored firearm? For example,
    76370.jpg

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter?

-Aaron

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    taurus will try anything to make a sale. to bad they just dont work on the quality. i vote ugly and horrible. but its a taurus go figure.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    Looks to much like a toy for me , I dont like the new bright colored guns . I looked at some new Diamond Back DB9 pistols & they came in black , orange & pink . I just dont feel that a firearm has to be cute .

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Yes, we know these guns are on the market; however, if you point anything in my direction that looks like a gun, I'm not going to ask the pertinent questions first. I can always apologize for your stupidity . . . .

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    So, I've seen a few different Taurus pistols recently that are have colored frames. This struck me as maybe a bit of a bad idea. I know this isn't necessarily a new thing, but how do cops know the difference when they see a brightly colored firearm? For example,
    76370.jpg

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Doesn't matter?

-Aaron

Know the difference between what? A toy gun and a real one? Or a bright colored gun and a dull one?

If the toy gun/real gun situation, anyone can paint a real gun to look like a toy gun. All it takes is some orange paint. That's the reason cops (as well as most citizens) shoot first and ask questions later if someone pulls out any type of firearm. They can't risk their lives on hoping it's a toy and reasonable people shouldn't expect them to. If someone is dumb enough to pull a toy gun on a police officer then he deserves to be eliminated from the world so we don't have the same stupid decisions made from his spawn.

If the bright colored gun/dull colored gun situation, well, lets give them a little credit. If they are that blind I don't think they should have a firearm themselves and probably won't even see it. :n00b::D

magiaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    You're absolutely correct. Most people are going to shoot first and ask questions later, but my point was perhaps less about an adult doing something with it and a cop shooting at them and perhaps the same thing happening with a child. Child might not know and cop might not know. I'm sitting with geronimojoe on this one. I just don't see the purpose.

-Aaron

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You're absolutely correct. Most people are going to shoot first and ask questions later, but my point was perhaps less about an adult doing something with it and a cop shooting at them and perhaps the same thing happening with a child. Child might not know and cop might not know. I'm sitting with geronimojoe on this one. I just don't see the purpose.

-Aaron

I'm going to play the "parental responsibility" card for your concern. I've personally never seen or even heard of a child pulling out a toy gun and pointing it at a police officer. Not saying it's never happened and that it's not possible, but parents who actually own firearms should be responsible enough to not leave it out in the open to where their child can grab it and certainly should not let their child be carrying it instead of themselves.

If a child does get a hold of a firearm the chances of them walking around town with it are pretty slim to none. The chances of them pulling it out and pointing it at a cop is close to impossible since children are usually afraid of getting in trouble and sadly enough, would most likely have an accident at the home while showing it off to their friends before ever making it outside.

In fact after a Google search for "child pulls gun on police officer" I only found 1 case Three-year-old pulls gun on cop when police find stolen car | wtsp.com in which the child actually handed the gun to the cop because he knew he wasn't supposed to have it. It was also a BB gun.

In my mind your concerns about this gun are mostly related to irresponsible parenting than the actual color and make of the gun. As said before, you can duracoat any firearm to any color you'd like. Taurus is trying a new selling point. The color of the gun doesn't make it legal for children to purchase it nor does it make it any more dangerous than a black firearm. You're blaming a company for something they have no control over. And if you're going to blame Taurus you should also blame the ammo companies, because that gun will not kill anyone without ammo first being inserted.

Edit: As for the purpose of the color... why does ESEE make their knives in different colors? Why does FN, HK, Glock, and almost every other firearm manufacturer produce a firearm in a Flat Dark Earth or OD Green color? It's because some people like their gun to be different. Your gun should fit your personality. Whether it's a bright pink Desert Eagle .50 or a flat black Derringer... You buy what you want because it's your money.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom