• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    So let's say you are carrying and go into a gas station and it happens to have a robbery in progress. If the perp has a knife or firearm would you draw on him/her or just be ready to draw if they turn on you? I am new to LTCH and mine should arrive in the next few weeks. I haven't carried before and don't neccessarily plan to but wonder about so many possible situations.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If I think someone is about to harmed or killed, I'll intervene. I'll not get involved to protect someone else's money.

There are very real physical and legal dangers in getting involved, and it's an issue that deserves careful consideration.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    What Joe said!!

If it comes down to somebody losing their life I will intervene otherwise I make a very good witness.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Good point. But at what point when someone is pointing a knife or gun in someone face asking for money do you intervene? When a shot it fired? A stab is made? Or when you feel it is on the edge and close to someone getting injured or killed? If someone just asks for money I'll sit back and observe and take as many mental notes on the perp... But when do you make that call?

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    That question really can not be answered, it would be a judgment call.

You never know until it happens hopefully if it does go bad you make the right call save a life and the shoot is considered a good shoot.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    This is where I am unclear on the law... Would it be good to purposely not shoot to kill but shoot to the best level of safety knowing that you can disable rather than fatally injuring someone?

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    You should never shoot just to wound someone. If they are enough of a threat to warrant being shot, they are enough of a threat to be shot where they will be stopped. Simply shooting them in the knee may not do that. I personally would not gamble with my life, money, and clean criminal record by shooting to wound.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You shoot until there is no longer a threat-- sometimes that means death, sometimes it doesn't.

My best advice to you would be to get some professional training, so that you can be prepared to make that decision on your own if/when the time comes. There are several folks right here on INGO that offer pistol and legal training.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    You shoot until there is no longer a threat-- sometimes that means death, sometimes it doesn't.

My best advice to you would be to get some professional training, so that you can be prepared to make that decision on your own if/when the time comes. There are several folks right here on INGO that offer pistol and legal training.

^^^^THIS^^^
    Too many people nowadays just watch a crime or death being comitted just so they could get it on camera and have 15 minutes or fame. Or they just want to save their ***.

Yes i would draw and take out the target, been trained to do just that. Only if he had a firearm though. Id be confident enough to resolve the situation if he had any other weapon. I definately wouldnt just let this happen though.:twocents:

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    If you are stopping a subject committing a felony (with a weapon) or preserving another life or your own you shoot. As for the guys saying well im not going to protect someone elses money have you not seen any hold up videos were the perp has blatant disregard for the person they are robbing and typically pull the trigger when the clerk is not moving fast enough for there taste? Then do you shoot them or is it to late the clerk is already dead so the perp has the money and you can be sure and tell the police what he looked like? IMHO im identifying myself and the perp is getting dropped. The most legal action you may see if a wrongful death lawsuit from the scumbag perps family cause they wont be able to pay to have him buried so you will more than likely when that case. As for criminal charges you were defending yourself and/or another human life and if the perp has a gun in a particular scenario you have the utmost right to use deadly force against him. Now a knife wielding perp may get drawn down on i would more than likely crack him in the back of the head with the largest item i could find at given store i would be at.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am breaking leather if I can do without getting shot first. I may or may not shoot depending on clarity of shot, backstop, etc. But I am not gonna get caught with a pistol still in the holster expecting a very extreme situation to not get more extreme.

I plan to survive and if I can save a live other than mine, I will do so.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I carry lethal force to protect human life, not some random gas stations cash drawer. :twocents:

I encourage you to decide for yourself, DO NOT act on internet opinion without thinking about it.:twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IMHO im identifying myself and the perp is getting dropped.

Not to sidetrack, by why identify yourself? Are you a police officer?

If a BG is worthy of being shot, then I'm gonna do just that-- no identifying myself, no 'warning shot'.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    It is a difficult decision when you are talking about intervening with a violent situation involving other people. Now you may have walked into a situation where you were close enough and there at the right time, so you know who the bad guy is and who is not. Such as actually witnessing the perp pull a gun/knife on a person and demanding money/initiating deadly force.
    However, if you come upon a violent situation already in progress, how can you be sure who the good guy is? Maybe the guy with the gun is defending himself and you end up shooting the wrong guy.
    In this scenario it is pretty cut and dry, good guy is behind the counter, bad guy demanding cash. However, that may not always be the case. Just be careful and always be aware so you dont walk into situations like that.

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Not to sidetrack, by why identify yourself? Are you a police officer?

If a BG is worthy of being shot, then I'm gonna do just that-- no identifying myself, no 'warning shot'.
    Work For The Sheriffs Dept in The Jail And Reserve Police Officer Trained to identify ones self.

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    I carry lethal force to protect human life, not some random gas stations cash drawer. :twocents:

I encourage you to decide for yourself, DO NOT act on internet opinion without thinking about it.:twocents:

If Gas station attendant has a gun in her face and is being demanded to give someone money you are just going to stand there cause you arent willing to protect the money? tense situations go south in a matter of nanoseconds, like i said in earlier post perp pulls trigger because clerk is taking too long and just gets the money himself and you for instance just continue to stand there? or do you then draw and fire after clerk has already taken 1 maybe 2 bullets at close range.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    If Gas station attendant has a gun in her face and is being demanded to give someone money you are just going to stand there cause you arent willing to protect the money tense situations go south in a matter of nanoseconds like i said in earlier post perp pulls trigger cause clerk is taking too long and just gets the money himself and you for instance just continue to stand there? or do you then draw and fire after clerk has already taken 1 maybe 2 bullets at close range.

If life is in danger I will act, otherwise I will observe, call police and wait.

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Ok, well then that's a slightly different situation. I know you guys have liability and such to worry about. :yesway:
    That We do and to add to situation, were im from i see the same gas station attendants day in and day out i would do everything to protect one of them from being robbed for the simple fact that they have families they want to go home to at the end of there shift to.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

I agree 100% with this statement, but a gun in a gas station attendents face is a threat to their life if you ask me. I've heard several times of either they clerk takes too long and they shoot them (as previously stated) or they get the money and blast the clerk anyway so they can't ID them later. If I think I can drop him without anyone else getting hurt. I'm going to.

Top Bottom