• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Calvin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    I read this today in the Bloomington paper. Very disappointing. Things like this make all gun owners look bad and add fuel to the efforts to keep people from opening new ranges. Backstop safety is one of the four rules of gun safety. How could professionals putting on a public event overlook such a basic principle as sufficient backstops? Thank God no one was hit. That's all I could think as I read about it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What law was broken?
    Being stupid isn't always against the law.
    They did have a backstop, just one of improper size if the article is correct.
    I expect they will repair whatever was damaged and have no shoots at that location.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What law was broken?
    Being stupid isn't always against the law.

:dunno:..not sure, but...

IC 35-42-2-2
    Criminal recklessness; element of hazing; liability barred for good faith report or judicial participation
    Sec. 2. (a) As used in this section, "hazing" means forcing or requiring another person:
    (1) with or without the consent of the other person; and
    (2) as a condition of association with a group or organization;
    to perform an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury.
    (b) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally performs:
    (1) an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person; or
    (2) hazing;
    commits criminal recklessness. Except as provided in subsection (c), criminal recklessness is a Class B misdemeanor.
    (c) The offense of criminal recklessness as defined in subsection (b) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the conduct includes the use of a vehicle;
    (2) a Class D felony if:
    (A) it is committed while armed with a deadly weapon; or
    (B) the person committed aggressive driving (as defined in IC 9-21-8-55) that results in serious bodily injury to another person; or
    (3) a Class C felony if:
    (A) it is committed by shooting a firearm into an inhabited dwelling or other building or place where people are likely to gather; or

I know it's Illinois, but a similar story here: Three-to-face-felony-charges-for-unsafe-target - Post-Tribune

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't know, but if was me who had to hit the floor with my young son, them fixing the hole in my dry wall wouldn't really feel like enough. Sounds like multiple homes were sprayed...I understand people make mistakes, but this is one that ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE MADE!!!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I was travelling from Indy to Elkhart & stopped in at the shoot hoping to check out the differences between the Huntertown Guardian, Kestrel, and B. It rained most of the day & when I arrived there were about 10-15 people there; this was about 30 minutes after the sheriff left.

NO ONE said anything about 'the incident'... I stood around for about 40 minutes jawing with the guy from Huntertown Arms & looked over the different surpessors. Bout then he tells another guy to put the PKM & belt ammo away.

I did notice the backstop and thought "Hmm... that's pretty small considering there's a bunch of AK's & AR's here, and a .300WM, and a belt-fed PKM... and a dozen people/strangers here." They also had a bunch of pistols including a surpressed Nagant M1895 which was way cool.

The backstop was no more than 20 yds down range.

Asked someone when the heck are we gonna hear the surpressors and then heard the story that a newbie woman had lost muzzle control & sent some rounds towards "those homes". The homes were about 500 yds away, at a 45-60 degree angle SW of down range (range was facing due West). Assumed she must have been shooting a smg or AK or something offhand and that she must have REALLY lost muzzle control to be swinging the barrel that far sideways when firing.

Looking at the news report, the home(s) that were struck were about 6,000 ft downrange, 10-15 degrees SW.

On this map, the "A" pushpin on the left of the map is the residence in the news story, the orange/white oval to the right is the property where the DBTT supressor shoot took place.
    DBBTshoot.jpg

Here's a close up of the range. Red line is the backstops, green line is the firing line; about 20 yards apart.
    firingline.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't know, but if was me who had to hit the floor with my young son, them fixing the hole in my dry wall wouldn't really feel like enough. Sounds like multiple homes were sprayed...I understand people make mistakes, but this is one that ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE MADE!!!

Don't give a damn what one "feels" things should be.

That's how the left justifies their positioning on just about anything.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    -1 dbtt... Any sufficient rage, ok bad deal, but an anyone MG shooting with that small of a backstop??? Bad idea. Love to support lgs's, but come on...

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    When was this?

April 14th.

The article appeared in the April 26th Kokomo Tribune.

Letting just any noob open up with a full auto 7.62x54r PKM into a 4'x5' backstop is a very bad idea.

Lawsuits are probably going to be filed and shooting ranges in the surrounding area will feel the heat now that local anti-gun nuts have been given the "rounds over the berm" tool to work with.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Not a whole lot of thought was put in to the risks associated with this event. It is too bad that it happened and puts gun owners in a bad light. If I was the home owner that had to hit the deck when rounds were punching into my house, I'd be very honked off. Even as a gun owner, it is inexcusable. This violates the rules of having a sufficient backstop and knowing your target and what is beyond.

Top Bottom