• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Earlier in the year, knowing I would have enough money for Christmas to buy a pistol, I had decided to upgrade my handgun collection from a cap and ball to a semi auto. There were many reasons but mainly I needed something for home defense other than a Rossi lever action. I had originally thought of going .40, for no real reason. Several models floated in and out of my mind, between many brands. Throughout the process of all the talking about, and me nudging her to get her a handgun, my mom, got really into guns. We started going to different gun stores together, looking and feeling. We talked about the reasons why she might need one, how they work, some of the terminology, cleaning, calibers, etc.
    I thought about cz, sar, eaa, canik, magnum research, and mom thought ruger or sig. I settled on the p07 at first, then decided I didn't want a polymer gun just yet, and moved to the sar k2 instead. Mom was still unsure and wanted to think longer, she was partially bouncing about caliber size still, and wanted to shoot the k2 as a test to help her make her decision.
    Christmas came, and my Christmas gift from my mom was a gun of my choice. As well as it being kind of a thank you gift for helping her see the value in having a gun for home defense/personal defense. So off to bradis we went yesterday, we came home with a sar k2 .45acp and I officially received my gift. I purchased hoppes solvent and oil and snap caps, for first initial cleaning, and learning of the pistol in a safe manner.
    Overall, the k2 is kind of hefty, in size and weight. Although, not so much size considering how many rounds she holds. Measuring at about 8 & 1/2 inches overall length, not too easily concealable. Yet even my mom is able to hold it somewhat comfortably. Pulling the slide back is a little tricky due to limited space on the slide, but quite smooth after a few tugs. Disassembly is rather simple, pull hammer back, line up marks on slide and frame, remove slide stop-takedown lever, slide the barrel/ slide assembly forward and remove, remove recoil spring and guide, remove barrel. Out of the box, trigger weight in double action is not bad at all, but a little long on the reset, and a little stiff. In single action mode the trigger is light and very smooth.
    The magazines state 14 on the side, and are made by mec gar. They incorporate a double stack that kinda funnels inward on the top of the magazine, down to what appears to be single stack width. Magazine spring was stiff out of box but loosened up nicely after a bit of loading and unloading with snap caps. The rear sights are drift/elevation adjustable, front sights are fixed. Fit and finish, was great on the outside, albeit there are tool marks on the inside of the slide and receiver. I'm very pleased with this gun so far. And its helping my mom already understand more how semi-autos work, how to handle them, and she feels more confident in her ability to handle a handgun. Pictures will come later, along with range report, when, and if I remember. Thanks mom and bradis! Lol

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Good to hear you were able to help a family member protect themselves. I would suggest a NRA basic pistol course for the both of you to go to, that way you both can feel confident!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have read a lot of positive reviews of the Sar K2. It's supposed to be one of the softest shooting .45s there is. Congrats and good luck.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Yea, I'm debating approaching my mom about a handgun for protection. She lives alone now that dad pasted away. I live next to her, but not close enough to give instant help. Maybe taking a course with her will help.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I've had many SAR's. A K2P in 9mm and in .45, a SAR K2 in 9mm, as well as a Tisas 1911, and 2 Canik 55 Shark FC's. Turkey make quality products. I'm very impressed.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Good to hear you were able to help a family member protect themselves. I would suggest a NRA basic pistol course for the both of you to go to, that way you both can feel confident!

That's the subject I'm broaching next. I've mentioned it a couple times, but I think now she'll want to more. We'll talk about it here in the next few days, when I get a chance.

I have read a lot of positive reviews of the Sar K2. It's supposed to be one of the softest shooting .45s there is. Congrats and good luck.

Thanks! If it shoots as soft as what I read and saw, it should be a good shooter.

Yea, I'm debating approaching my mom about a handgun for protection. She lives alone now that dad pasted away. I live next to her, but not close enough to give instant help. Maybe taking a course with her will help.

I feel your exact situation, yeah I'm close; BUT, not always around. I know once my mom's up to it, I'm taking the course with her. Might make her feel more comfortable, we both benefit from education, and spending time together.

I've had many SAR's. A K2P in 9mm and in .45, a SAR K2 in 9mm, as well as a Tisas 1911, and 2 Canik 55 Shark FC's. Turkey make quality products. I'm very impressed.

I am too, it's solid, fits together tightly, mostly smooth out of box so far.

Top Bottom