You know you are a gun nut when you rationalize a gun purchase by...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I once had a dream the house/family was being attacked by a polar bear. I complained to the wife that I didn't have anything large enough to defend against a polar bear... until I finally got my first .308 (M1A). I then told the wife I could finally sleep at night.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This summer when the paperwork clears on my .22 silencer, I'll be justifying a couple new purchases to have something to mount it on (don't want to thread / hack on the ones I already have).

-rvb

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't know if anyone else has kept track, but IMHO I'd say so far the top excuse award is a tie.

Top excuse:

JetGirl - buying sights that happened to come with a new gun wrapped around them.

MCGrease - Finding a trigger and having to build a gun around it.

Honorable mention:

cook4army - Being "forced" to buy a gun because he bought two too many mags as a gift.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I recently had to purchase a SxS 20 gauge because everyone knows you can't hunt rabbits with a over and under 20 gauge. It just doesn't work that way. Over and unders are for bird hunting and clay shooting. Pfffffft

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't down play the investment angle. I paid for 3 years of Grad school selling off three safes of gun collection. I made money on every one, up to 100% on some of the ones I bought right. In that same period of time Merrill Lynch lost 32% of my savings

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a number of guns that are no longer in production. Many models I have in pairs (or more). The excuse is if one has a failure I can still run one while I hunt for parts; or, in extremis, pull parts from one to revive another.

I have also used the 'Black shoes' argument, as in:

Wife: "Do you really need another handgun?"
    Me: "Do you really need 8 pairs of black shoes?" Be wary. This tack seems to create grudging acceptance combined with background level of anger, probably due to the implied criticizm of shoes

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My friend (coronet67 on INGO) and I were at an auction a while back.
    He won a bid on some mixed ammo boxes.
    It wasn't much, like maybe $20 total.
    Digging around in the boxes, he found a complete box of 50 AR that had never been opened.
    He had nothing that would shoot this caliber.
    So, this last weekend he went to the 1500 to pick up a Desert Eagle in 50 AE.
    Now he can shoot the ammo.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I bought 1k rds of ammo for a rifle I didn't own, but I got a great deal.... so along came the rifle soon after.
    I also bought 20 mags for a rifle I didn't own (G3, 99¢/piece!), couple months later I found a CETME...
    I had to own something firing every major NATO caliber to satisfy most SHTF scenarios I could dream up....
    Another one is the need for parts. I would much rather stock an entire rifle to just pull parts from.... or two. Sometimes people forget the value of redundancy... ;)
    My wife doesn't believe any of my reasoning anymore anyway, I could probably just stop making excuses for new toys....

nwigunguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Well, mine was a Browning m1919a4 as a bday present and investment. Wife calls the gun "Gunzilla". Its big, its heavy and cant wait to make it rock and roll. LOL. Just got it yesturday. Then as another bday present yesturday got a IWI Tavor and put my 4x acog on it. She just shakes here head at me lol

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    How about buying a holster and finding the box was marked incorrectly but rather than returning, just buying a gun that fits the holster?

This is a hypothetical. Totally. I mean a friend did that. I wasn't even there. WHY DON'T YOU BELIEVE ME?

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Over the years, Thompson Center has offered barrels in over 200 calibers--------I only have 118 so far---------------I'm still looking------my last "wonderful find" was a (TCA) barrel chambered in ".17 Mach IV"------case formed from a 221 Fireball

tallend

Bigdog357

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    Indiana
    I have bought guns that I didn't even want to own just because they were a good deal, thinking that I am going to flip them for a profit. Problem is I never sell them, once I clean them up and shoot them I don't want to sell them. Its a sickness with no known cure :dunno:

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    My single rationalization was well if shf I have to make sure I have as many calibers as possible so when trying to fiND supplies and you come across ammo you have something that will shoot that caliber... it's simple. Plus multiple guns in the same caliber just means if one happens to break you have a back up.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I tell my wife i dont drink, i dont smoke , i dont go out and party with my guy friends and i dont go on guy trips to where ever, but i could start. Or i could by this gun. :):

Top Bottom