You know you are a gun nut when you rationalize a gun purchase by...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    Van Buren
    My single rationalization was well if shf I have to make sure I have as many calibers as possible so when trying to fiND supplies and you come across ammo you have something that will shoot that caliber... it's simple. Plus multiple guns in the same caliber just means if one happens to break you have a back up.

this is what I have been telling my wife.:+1:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    My ex husband used the "it's an investment" line when he brought new guns home. Like the AK with mismatched furniture he never got around to fixing. Investment meant we never shot any of them :(

When I ran the gun counter at the Mtn I bought a lot of guns because I liked them. I missed out on some guns I liked because someone else stuck their name on it before I could get the OK from my husband. He even bought a gun out from under me but at least I get to shoot that one still.

I agree with the guns are our hobby/lifestyle. We don't drink, smoke, do drugs or have parties. We spend our money on ammo and other firearm related expenses. No excuses needed in our house. Just disposable money.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I take the whole family shooting so I generally don't have to rationalize.

Though a couple of years ago I was on my way to buy fireworks for the 4th and stopped in at a gun store (why ask why) and they had a used Hawken .50 for about the same price as a box of fireworks...it didn't take long to make that decision. Since then the Hawken has been doing yeoman's work at several 4th celebrations and it works in between at the range too! Best fireworks purchase ever.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I once had a dream the house/family was being attacked by a polar bear. I complained to the wife that I didn't have anything large enough to defend against a polar bear... until I finally got my first .308 (M1A). I then told the wife I could finally sleep at night.

-rvb

Tell her the dreams have returned and only a Guide Gun in .45-70 will help you rest...and then you can have them again and because now you are watching your family get tormented from a distance so you need a hard hitting long range gun...then...

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Centuries ago, when I was first married with small children and had little, I borrowed $5K on a 90 day note to buy a group of guns that I had been asked to appraise. Returning home with them I was questioned by my wife about them and she was less than amused to find out what I had done. I explained that after a trip to the OGCA show the next month I would be able to retire the note, make some cash and keep one of the guns. The next several weeks were "tense" but everything worked out as I had said, since that day there have been no comments made about anything bought or sold.:)
    Ask her if she plans on turning a profit on all those shoes collecting dust in the closet. See. Well there you have it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    "Honey, don't put our whole family in the position that those poor people found themselves in at the Luby's cafeteria in Kileen, TX when that guy did the massacre. We need a (here fill in your must-have gun) to be able to fight back. Oh, it was terrible."

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My ex husband used the "it's an investment" line when he brought new guns home. Like the AK with mismatched furniture he never got around to fixing. Investment meant we never shot any of them :(

When I ran the gun counter at the Mtn I bought a lot of guns because I liked them. I missed out on some guns I liked because someone else stuck their name on it before I could get the OK from my husband. He even bought a gun out from under me but at least I get to shoot that one still.

I agree with the guns are our hobby/lifestyle. We don't drink, smoke, do drugs or have parties. We spend our money on ammo and other firearm related expenses. No excuses needed in our house. Just disposable money.
    I know this seems awful sudden and we don't know each other very well but I think it can work. Will you marry me?

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I once had a dream the house/family was being attacked by a polar bear. I complained to the wife that I didn't have anything large enough to defend against a polar bear... until I finally got my first .308 (M1A). I then told the wife I could finally sleep at night.

-rvb
    Since a .308 is marginal for a great bear you probably need to start working on her for something in .458 Lott.

trsowders76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2014
    Bedford
    I just tell her if I don't spend it on a gun she will just blow it and neither one of us will have anything to show for it! It has worked for me for years

Top Bottom