• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    I am just stirring the pot here, but what was your first rifle? Do you still have it and shoot it or did it get passed on to the next generation (along with the respect and appreciation that it came with not to mention the stories of when you were a pup) its just a question to make us all think back. I still have my old marlin 39 that I was all to happy to teach my son with and the model 61 winchester that dad tought me on. not to mention the stories that came with both of them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My first rifle was a Marlin semi auto that looked a little like a M1 Carbine. I don't recall the model number but it was truly a POS! It was tube fed and I don't think I ever got a full tube out of it without it jamming. My next rifle was a Nylon 66 and it was a great rifle! Wish I had kept the Remington. Now I own multiple 22s and my CZs are some of my most prized possessions! :twocents:

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Marlun 25n . Still got and it still shoots moa at 100 yards. My mom bought for me when I was 16.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Glenfield model 60. Got it almost 30 years ago from Dad for Christmas. Gave it back to him after his stroke, since he can load and operate it one handed (using the deck rail as a shooting rest for plinking), or Mom can help him if need be. It will be mine again after he's gone.

I hope I don't get it back for a long time.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    After my Crossman pellet gun, I was given a Marlin 25 .22 bolt by my mother's family. I just got the rifle back from my dad after 20 years.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The gun I learned to shoot with was a Springfield Model 56 like this one:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...j_stevens_arms_co_springfield_model_56_a.html

Sadly, my evil older brother took it when he moved out and it sits over his mantle today.

So I went out and bought an M1A. Won my class State Highpower Championship with it (ok, that was a really long time ago, and yes, litlrat was there but I wasn't in the same class as him...).

Still have it and shoot it to this day...

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Glenfield Mod 60 .22lr From K Mart when I was 21.....am 57 now and no I dont still have it. I am thinking K Mart had it on sale for about 39.95 and it was a decent rifle. I gave it to a buddy a couple of years after I got it. I got a nylon stock Remington to replace it. Still have that one :)

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Marlin model 99. It's on the second stock but it is still a tack driver. In my cabinet right now.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a great-uncle's 1917 Savage Favorite. It has an octaganal barrel and a rolling breech-block action. The ejector is worn to the point that shooting shorts is the best option whenever I shoot it which isn't often but it is still very accurate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My first rifle I actually earned for myself was a Marlin model 81, tube feed bolt action. I sold greeting cards door to door to earn that money before I was old enough to work at a business. Thyat rifle is still in the family.

IndyJohn, you're my hero. In a world of AR service rifles, it is still good to see the .30 caliber rifles on the line. They are harder to contol, but more satisfying to shoot. I earned my Sharpshooter card with a 6.5 X 55 Swedish mauser, expert card with a .308 Winchester model 70. Master classification with the same winchester rebarrelled in .260 Rem. In the middle of it all, I was trying to earn my Distinguished Rifleman medal with a Springfield Super match that I also sometimes shot Palma with. I shot an AR one summer also, but Used my Palma rifle or my 6.5 X 284 for long range. Sticking to one type of rifle would have been better for points, but being able to shoot a variety of firearms was fun and challenging. I look forward to seeing John on the range with the M1a sometime again. That .30 cal boom is music to my ears.

Last edited:

ajanes10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    My first rifle was a Remington Speedmaster. I still have it and my son or daughter will learn on it. It has great value to me becasue it came down the line from my grandfather. Great gun and i cannot wait to pass it on.

Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    My grandfather gave me a speedmaster last year. Still have it and it will go to the next generation once they are older.

Enforcer831

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    My first rifle was a Remington Speedmaster. I still have it and my son or daughter will learn on it. It has great value to me becasue it came down the line from my grandfather. Great gun and i cannot wait to pass it on.

Wow. I replied without reading your post. Now I feel like I ripped off your story. :n00b:

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    When I was 14 I got a used Remington 552 Speedmaster for Christmas my neighbor got a Marlin 60 we shot a lot of cans,bottles and groundhogs every summer with those rifles I still have it and probably will never sell it

toddcraft33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Camby
    I wish that I had a story about a neat old rifle past down from my dad, but my first rifle is the M&P 15 22 I bought a few weeks ago. I hope to pass it down to my son in the future.

Top Bottom