• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    What are your favorite training drills for use with the rifle. I've taken a defensive rifle class and I'm familiar with some but not many. When you go to the range either with someone or by yourself to run the rifle a little, what do you like to do? I'm not opposed to simple target shooting but I more enjoy defensive rifle training style drills.

I'm open to drills for defensive training and/or for sport (multi gun, steel etc.) My range does not allow shooting anything but plastic bottles and paper so steel is out.

I'm able to go to the range tomorrow for the first time in a long time where I will have a decent amount of time and little stress over having to leave by a certain time. I'll therefore be able to setup more than elaborate targets if needed. I love mixing it up and trying new drills and techniques, whatcha got?

Go.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Favorite?

I don't know if I have a favorite, but I do:

1. empty loads (I think this is the most important drill).

2. pizza slices

3. the one round run and gun (all prone, but you can break it up)

4. flow drills

5. shooting from movement, especially back and sides.

6. malfunction drills (second most important drill especially if your guns run smooth).

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So what do they mean by "failure drill"?

Random thoughts.

Regarding how to train for clearing malfunctions: i like to add snap chaps randomly in my mags when shooting at the range. Then ftf's come up more randomly and when your brain is focused on something else (the drill at hand). Personally I think it makes more sense to "sprinkle" malfunction drills in amongst all the shooting. To go into a drill specifically for ftf's has its place but knowing there is going to be a malfunction doesn't train me to handle the unexpectedness of a real ftf.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I try to put as much realism in training as possible. I'll shoot and move, run through typical drills, etc. BUT, to get the realism of the unexpected and faster reaction I will load varying rounds in each magazine (usually very few) to practice unexpected reloads, and throw snap caps in there randomly to simulate failures. Then load those mags into the vest, cargo carrier of choice without looking at which one is which so that you have no idea what you have coming your way. If you train enough, you can feel when your rifle runs dry, jams, etc without looking at it.

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I try to put as much realism in training as possible. I'll shoot and move, run through typical drills, etc. BUT, to get the realism of the unexpected and faster reaction I will load varying rounds in each magazine, and throw snap caps in there randomly to simulate failures. Then load those mags into the vest, cargo carrier of choice without looking at which one is which so that you have no idea what you have coming your way. If you train enough, you can feel when your rifle runs dry, jams, etc without looking at it.
    Ha! I added pretty much the same logic to my post above as you were writing this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    i like to add snap chaps randomly in my mags when shooting at the range. Then ftf's come up more randomly and when your brain is focused on something else (the drill at hand). Personally I think it makes more sense to "sprinkle" malfunction drills in amongst all the shooting. To go into a drill specifically for ftf's has its place but knowing there is going to be a malfunction doesn't train me to handle the unexpectedness of a real ftf.

Yeah, but it is hard to have bolt over base or smokestacks come up at random. Snap caps replicate one type of malfunction, not the malf that you may have.

Everyone wants to be Captain Tactical and all high speed and tH3 d34dly and crap, but nothing wrong with doing your forms and getting your reps in.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Ha! I added pretty much the same logic to my post above as you were writing this.
    It's good training. My friend and I focus on realism when we train. It's not the same practicing for the "21ft rule" when you know who's going to attack and you're expecting it, frame of mind. My goal is always randomness, unexpected, realistic as possible. We would also even do a 100 yard sprint or more before reaching the shooting station and make the first shot one which requires a good deal of stability.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Yeah, but it is hard to have bolt over base or smokestacks come up at random. Snap caps replicate one type of malfunction, not the malf that you may have.

Everyone wants to be Captain Tactical and all high speed and tH3 d34dly and crap, but nothing wrong with doing your forms and getting your reps in.
    I totally agree, hence my saying "to go into a drill specifically for ftf's has its place".

Top Bottom