• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    do you have a ritual/habit when you buy a new gun?

do you immediately take i home and fiddle with it?
    take it apart, etc.

if i had land outside my door the first thing id do is shoot it out of the box. unfortunately my land is hours away.

so the first thing i do, i take my gun home, and take it apart. i coat every surface in froglube, and shove it in my oven. whether that does anything for it or not but its what i do.

whats your new-gun ritual?

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ya i'm curious, why the oven? We talking about baking in the lube like seasoning an iron skillet? Good idea but... would it work?
    *edit* I also immediately take it home, disassemble, clean (if used which I just got a new-and my first-rifle), really get to know it. Otherwise it feels foreign to me and I'm not really comfortable shooting or using something not familiar to me, especially a firearm. It's more of a comfort thing and knowing where any problems may-may not exist when shooting.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    kinda like seasoning yes. clean off the shipping grease and/or csosmoline, as the case may be.
    my theory is, open the pores of the metal and allow the CLP to penetrate, and soak into the metal. ive heard it from some rep before.
    hearsay that, i know, but ive not had my guns FTFire in doing so. if it actually helps or not i dunno. but that is my ritual.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    kinda like seasoning yes. clean off the shipping grease and/or csosmoline, as the case may be.
    my theory is, open the pores of the metal and allow the CLP to penetrate, and soak into the metal. ive heard it from some rep before.
    hearsay that, i know, but ive not had my guns FTFire in doing so. if it actually helps or not i dunno. but that is my ritual.
    Imma have to look this up as I find it quite interesting. Wondering if it works (which I'll find from the research), but... DOES IT SMELL UP THE HOUSE?! <---most important part.

Robtheman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    I tend to bring mine home, assemble/disassemble many times, lube and shoot. I also sometimes stipple afterward if I shoot it and do not have the right grip.

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Well with a new gun, I disassemble and reassemble to get familiar with it. For a used gun it is off to the cleaners, comlete disassemble, total cleaning even as far as to strip and refinish the furniture. Then it's wait for range day and throw some lead:ar15: I luv me some steel, wood, and leather:D

debeerman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    In a van down by the river
    me I love that new gun smell. I love to smell it. Then I disassemble it clean it reassemble it if I forget something call my brother to trouble shoot what I did wrong. Keep doingit until I get it. When that new gun smell is gone I go get another one and do it all over again. The great thing is I got two bushmasters just before the panic. Of course I lost them already I have early onset alzheimer's I sure do miss them.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I fondle it until I have to go to bed. Then I fondle it again the next day and so on until I get to shoot it and something shiny catches my attention.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Imma have to look this up as I find it quite interesting. Wondering if it works (which I'll find from the research), but... DOES IT SMELL UP THE HOUSE?! <---most important part.

nah not really. not with the CLPs i've used anyway - but ATM i'm on a Frog Lube kick. take it for what its worth. works well enough for me. the only thing it won't remove is copper fouling.

actually, it does well enough at that, just need a brush to knock it loose.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    :dunno:
    Doubt your guns are that "spongey" but it certainly won't hurt.

you'd be surprised what metal parts do when subjected to moderate heat and/or cold.

many times in my years have i fitted bike parts together this way - IE, shove a sprocket in the oven, and a wheel in the freezer. few hours later and PRESTO the **** fits.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I just learn to field strip it and dry fire it a bit. If I have a holster ill get a feel for it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Every gun new to me, brand new or I got it used. The first thing I do is a function check, then field strip it, then clean it, even if it appears clean. While cleaning it for the first time I check for anything out of the ordinary, hair line cracks, unusual wear etc. Then I test fire it. Then I clean it again.

Before anyone chimes in with more damage is done by over cleaning. That is only possible if you are a moron and don't know how to properly clean a gun.

This has worked for many years.

Top Bottom